PDA

View Full Version : Hard boiled eggs?

cheryl
07-05-2007, 05:09 AM
The guy who sold me minnows yesterday suggested feeding eggs as a treat. High in protein. Used to feed them to his python. Will/should garters eat them?

Stefan-A
07-05-2007, 05:29 AM
My guess is that they probably shouldn't, probably won't. Apart from those species of snake that have specialized in eating eggs, I don't think it's necessary to feed them bird eggs (and even then, not boiled eggs).

adamanteus
07-05-2007, 11:37 AM
I believe some Rat Snakes will take birds eggs on occasion. I've never heard of this behaviour in Garters.

flakgunner
07-06-2007, 03:53 AM
hey,
Garters won't even give eggs a second glance,now Bullsnakes,is another thing,the wife went to a show with the oldest boy,she went their only for a carmel RedRat Snake ,and came home with a 5 1/2 Bullsnake(what was she thinking!!)I've never found Bullsnakes easy to keep,and this ones a pain in the backside,she was told it was captive born,and as tame as it is,I'd have to agree,but getting it to eat,we offered it thawed out mice(of different colors)and small rats,then tried live,even fertile pigeon eggs,nothing,finally after 4 months it ate a pair of pigeon eggs,we've had it 8 months now,and has eaten a total of 6 eggs.

Joe