PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine times?

d_virginiana
05-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Just wondering how long you guys generally do for a minimum quarantine? I've had my new albino male for about a month now, and it'll be probably another month before Harley is done with her de-worming quarantine. After that I'd like to put them together. So far I've not noticed any health issues with the new guy.

guidofatherof5
05-11-2013, 01:29 PM
90 day minimum. No exceptions.

d_virginiana
05-11-2013, 06:26 PM
That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to be sure.
I feel bad about Harley having to stay in her quarantine 'tank' for so long, but it's only one extra month after her treatment is over. She's not really stressed by it, but you can tell she doesn't like it. Reminds me why I never want to use a rack system.
Just looking forward to putting them together, and hopefully some babies at the end of the summer :) Both the new guy and Houdini have been in full-on mating mode for about two weeks now. Last night, Houdini tried his best to court the feeding tongs.

chris-uk
05-12-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm a little more relaxed if they come from a source I trust, but I'd still be looking at 2-3 months.

Sonya610
05-12-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm a little more relaxed if they come from a source I trust, but I'd still be looking at 2-3 months.

Are there that many fatal and highly contagious snake diseases out there? I can understand a wild caught but from a trusted source? Grant it I have only kept 2-3 reptiles at a time but still....if I pay good money from a trusted source I expect the risks to be extremely low.

I only sometimes follow snake forums (mostly when I need to educate myself or am in the mood to buy) so I really don't know. I know in the ball python world one breeder had a horrid fatal (mystery) disease and ended up freezing ALL of her snakes but that seemed to be an extreme rarity.

What exactly are people worried about? Parasites? Respiratory diseases? I am not questioning the judgement of keepers that have a lot of animals, obviously introducing a pathogen could be disastrous....just asking about the real life risks for keepers with just a few.

chris-uk
05-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Parasites and snake mites would be the main concerns.

guidofatherof5
05-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Parasites and snake mites would be the main concerns.

Those are the most outward we are concerned about.

Then there are the ones we can't do anything about. The normal pathogens some of these snakes live and thrive with. No real concern for the snake just a natural part of the snake's life.
I mix species from all over the country an wonder if I have shortened the life of some of my snakes or maybe some of these mystery deaths could be attributed to this.
It certainly has me aware of this possible problem.

Sonya610
05-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Those are the most outward we are concerned about.

Then there are the ones we can't do anything about. The normal pathogens some of these snakes live and thrive with. No real concern for the snake just a natural part of the snake's life.
I mix species from all over the country an wonder if I have shortened the life of some of my snakes or maybe some of these mystery deaths could be attributed to this.
It certainly has me aware of this possible problem.

Yeah and I will say I thought that ball python breeder was just plain evil. She was done breeding once that outbreak happened and everyone knew, folks were afraid to buy or sell to anyone that had entered her house! Yet she froze them all (except a couple of "pets") because she was no longer able to breed and sell and she posted pics of the bags in the freezer.

FYI the animals euthanized did not show signs of disease....but they were not profitable or worth paying to feed/house anymore apparently.