PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Liver Fiasco

guidofatherof5
05-05-2013, 10:20 AM
I purchased a tub of chicken livers last night, I thought it might be good as a treat to some of my snakes. I remember how well the ate the turkey liver I offered around Thanksgiving time.
If you feed in their enclosures care must be taken as this stuff is a substrate magnet. What a stinking mess. :mad:
It sent my adult female concinnus group into a feeding frenzy. The only thing they didn't grab and chew on was the rocks in the enclosure. I was fair game to them and felt at times they were working together to kill me, launching themselves at me. It was a lot of fun but enough is enough.
My female anery had been off food for awhile so it was nice to see her eating again.
I had to keep the pieces small enough so it wouldn't come in contact with the substrate. This annoyed these girls as they wanted big food. I had to wash each snake off after I was done as they all had chicken liver/blood on them.
If I had these girls on paper towels I think things would have gone better.
On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give chicken livers a 4
There was some good to come from this experience and I will report about that in another thread.

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/9108-scenting-views.html

Steveo
05-05-2013, 11:50 AM
I tried chicken liver a few times but it was just so messy and hard to work with. Plus most of the garters didn't eat it.