PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a good online shop that sells a nice selection of Garters?

Tarzier
04-24-2013, 03:33 PM
I've seen a few good Online stores that sell Snakes, but as you can guess, none of them have a good selection of Garters, or even Garters at all. Most of the time it's just Checkered and Albino Checkered, but those aren't really what I'm looking for. Also, as far as I can find, there aren't any good Breeders or Reptile shops in my area(La Grange County, Indiana). After browsing this Forum for....Well, however long I've been browsing it, its been quite awhile, anyway, I've been wanting a Florida Blue... I believe they're called that at least, I'm not too good with all the names yet. They're beautiful snakes, and I'd love to have one.

Invisible Snake
04-24-2013, 03:40 PM
I don't know of any shops, but it's better to get them directly from a breeder, most shops have wildcaught garters and are fed goldfish and/or crickets.

Get in touch with Shawn, he has a nice collection of FL blues View Profile: BLUESIRTALIS - Garter Snake Forum (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/members/bluesirtalis.html)

guidofatherof5
04-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Check out the "classified" section of the forum, if you haven't done so already.

Might be wise to post something in the "Wanted" section. We have members in OH, MI, IL that might be able to help.;)

Tarzier
04-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Ah, I figured they did, that's why, even before I bought my snake, I was pretty thorough with what shops I was considering buying from. That's why I asked on here, figured you guys might know a good, reputable one. About a Breeder though, I don't really know how to find any. I've tried searching, but that doesn't really turn up any good results.

Tarzier
04-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Check out the "classified" section of the forum, if you haven't done so already. I did, and I did see the person selling the two Blues. I've thought about PMing them and asking, but I didn't get around to it.

Sherrie
04-25-2013, 06:09 AM
I think there were some Florida Blues on FaunaClassifieds.

Jeff B
04-25-2013, 06:44 AM
Did you try google searching "garter snake breeder". Try that once.

Sherrie
04-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Actually that was Kingsnake.com I saw those on.

Tarzier
04-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Did you try google searching "garter snake breeder". Try that once. I did, but I didn't find any I liked, or if I did, they didn't sell to the US.

mikem
04-25-2013, 11:11 AM
baby season is happening now. lots of stuff should start popping up. just keep an eye out. lots of good breeders here on the forum!

chris-uk
04-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Pop a "Wanted" on the classifieds. Florida Blues aren't the sort of scrubs that sold before they are born, so one of the breeders that hangs around the forum will no doubt PM you if they have a gravid female Florida Blue. Alternatively, you may catch someone's attention with this thread. :)

Tarzier
04-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Pop a "Wanted" on the classifieds. Florida Blues aren't the sort of scrubs that sold before they are born, so one of the breeders that hangs around the forum will no doubt PM you if they have a gravid female Florida Blue. Alternatively, you may catch someone's attention with this thread. :) Why aren't they the sort of scrubs that are reserved? I'd think that with their colors, they'd be wanted by a lot of people.

Steveo
04-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Why aren't they the sort of scrubs that are reserved? I'd think that with their colors, they'd be wanted by a lot of people.

The supply is sufficient for the demand, it seems. It helps that the Florida Blues are desired in their natural phenotype; most of the other varieties in high demand are special morphs.

Tarzier
04-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Phenotype? I'm guessing you mean how they're normally colored?

chris-uk
04-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Phenotype? I'm guessing you mean how they're normally colored?

You'd be correct. :) A phenotype is basically how it physically appears.
Florida Blues are popular because they are naturally blue, and blue snakes seem to be a popular choice. There just seems to be quite a few of them around, even in the UK they are not uncommon.

Tarzier
04-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Oh, I thought they were somewhat uncommon as in my research for information about Garters and what kind I might want, before I bought the one at PetCo, I had never heard of them. Pretty sure I hadn't seen a picture either, cause I'd have definately tried to get one of those. Blue happens to be my favorite color. I'm curious, has anyone tried making morphs of the Florida Blues?

Jeff B
04-25-2013, 10:21 PM
I did, but I didn't find any I liked, or if I did, they didn't sell to the US.

Really, lol, Well, alrighty then.

BLUESIRTALIS
04-26-2013, 05:23 AM
Yes! I have had ery fl. Blue easterns which are red , albinos, and stripeless! All i have now though is albino fl blues! What you need is a nice thamnophis sirtalis similis, a blue puget sound, or a blue concinnus if you really like a nice blue color!!! A good portion of the fl. Blue easterns in the hobby today don't have much blue and they tend to be a more greenish color!
oh, i thought they were somewhat uncommon as in my research for information about garters and what kind i might want, before i bought the one at petco, i had never heard of them. Pretty sure i hadn't seen a picture either, cause i'd have definately tried to get one of those. Blue happens to be my favorite color. I'm curious, has anyone tried making morphs of the florida blues?

Tarzier
04-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Really, lol, Well, alrighty then. What I meant was that they didn't have a Garter I wanted, I found a few I liked, they just didn't have what I was looking for.

Tarzier
04-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Yes! I have had ery fl. Blue easterns which are red , albinos, and stripeless! All i have now though is albino fl blues! What you need is a nice thamnophis sirtalis similis, a blue puget sound, or a blue concinnus if you really like a nice blue color!!! A good portion of the fl. Blue easterns in the hobby today don't have much blue and they tend to be a more greenish color!Just looked up images of the two you suggested and they are beautiful snakes. I especially like the spots on the Concinnus, but I may be buying a female Florida Blue from snake man. Currently PMing with him about it.

BLUESIRTALIS
04-26-2013, 02:24 PM
That's great! Similis are real nice and the ones he has are already sharp and will look even better as they grow!
Just looked up images of the two you suggested and they are beautiful snakes. I especially like the spots on the Concinnus, but I may be buying a female Florida Blue from snake man. Currently PMing with him about it.

Tarzier
04-26-2013, 03:04 PM
That's what I thought as well, especially the female.