PDA

View Full Version : Garter snake found in a bad situation.

rogervan
04-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Hello Everyone!

I found a hibernating wild garter snake while I was de-constructing (demolishing) part of a building in the Grass valley part of the western sierras.

I decided to keep him for about a year. Then I will release him next to the spot I found him in. The construction will be finished.

He is very small. He's about 12 inches long and 3/8 inch in diameter. He's in a good-sized tank.

What do you think his temperature should be? I can make a gradient from hot to cool. Oops, the italics.

Are "small" crickets ok to feed to him? Should I snip it's hopper legs? I can't get small silkworms right now.

Should he have standing water in his tank? I could tip his tank so a thin line of water forms at one end, right on the plastic floor.

If I give him leaf litter or planting mix, will he dive down and rarely come out?

Sorry for the long read.

Roger

Stefan-A
04-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Make sure the tank is escape-proof. If there's any hole that he'll fit through, he'll find it and use it.
The temperature should be room temperature in one end and higher in the other. I'll let someone else tell you the Fahrenheits.
Crickets aren't okay and neither are any other insects. Try earthworms, fish and pinkie mice.
The water should be in a bowl, nowhere else. Any fairly shallow dish will do.
They need to be able to hide, it's best to enable it. The safer they feel, the more time they'll stay visible, though.

guidofatherof5
04-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Hello, Roger.

Thanks for taking the time to look out for the wee one. Any chance you can post a photo so we know exactingly which species we are talking about?
In the meantime here's a link to the forum care sheet which is always a good read.
DITCH the cricket and any other bugs.
As suggested, worms, fish and pinky mice are a good food source.
In most situations there is a settling in time especially if brumation was disturbed.
Can you give use a city and state the snake was found in. That might help us I.D. it without a photo.
We'll post some photo for you to choose from.

Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet (http://www.thamnophis.com/index.php?page=caresheet)