PDA

View Full Version : bad news!!!!

vwsrcool
07-01-2007, 12:37 PM
well the to be california red spotted mother did not produce any babies, instead she had 21 jelly bean looking things that quickly dried up, this is a big disapointment, does anyone know what would cause this???

adamanteus
07-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Sorry to hear your bad news, Ben. There could be several possible causes, was it the female's first time? Is she quite young?

vwsrcool
07-01-2007, 12:42 PM
im pretty sure the guy i got her from said she was breed before, she is pretty big. i have a maritme garter that is about to pop, i hope everything goes good with her.

adamanteus
07-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Fingers crossed for the Maritime, Ben. I've heard that stress and too high temperatures can cause this too. Could that be possible?

Lulu Bennett
07-01-2007, 12:55 PM
really sorry o hear about that Ben. wish you all the best with the Maritime. xxx :(

GarterGuy
07-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Sorry to hear that Ben....really sucks.:( I"ve also heard that too high temps. can cause this. A lot of people keep their gravid garters like other colubrids, but it seems they do better with slightly cooler temps. or at least a means of getting to a relatively cool spot in the tank. Best of luck with you T.s.pallidulus.....keep me posted on her progress, I'd be VERY interested in some babies since my Maritime search seems to have gone south. Do you have any pics of the mama to be?

Roy

ssssnakeluvr
07-01-2007, 03:41 PM
the females eggs didnt get fertilized...produced slugs...my florida blue did that last year...

adamanteus
07-01-2007, 03:45 PM
the females eggs didnt get fertilized...produced slugs...my florida blue did that last year...

I don't really get that, Don.:confused: If you keep a lone female and never mate her, she won't produce slugs every year.

ssssnakeluvr
07-01-2007, 03:48 PM
no...they generally throw slus after unsuccessful breedings...my florida blue did that last year and threw about 5 slugs this year....not sure on the cause...generally if they don't breed they won't throw slugs. I did have one slug thrown last year by my western terrestrial....she wasn't with a male for 3 years or so...my male passed away and she didn't breed...kinda odd

adamanteus
07-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Oh right, so if they mate but the breeding is unsuccessful that's another cause of slugs?

ssssnakeluvr
07-01-2007, 03:52 PM
yes....not sure why my western terrestrial threw one....she hadn't bred in the 4 years I had her....as far as I know, the cool down period (brumation) stimulates the egg production and the breeding cycle...whether the sperm are bad or just don't get there I am not sure....

adamanteus
07-01-2007, 03:55 PM
I've had females produce slugs in the past, but they had always been mated, and I'm pretty sure it was my fault for keeping them too warm.

ssssnakeluvr
07-01-2007, 03:58 PM
I don't know why they produce them...had several snakes have babies last year, all were kept at the same temp as the florida blue....I heat the room, not each separate cage. My red spot had 7 healthy babies, my wandering had 11, my normal eastern threw a stillborn 5 months after breeding....florida blue threw 25 slugs....wish i knew how to prevent that....

adamanteus
07-01-2007, 04:06 PM
It's a mystery to me, Don. There must be a thousand other causes we don't know about!