PDA

View Full Version : "Flame" Attitudes?

guidofatherof5
03-31-2013, 11:00 AM
I have 2 females and 1 male "Flame" eastern's(Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis). They are wonderful until it's feeding time then it's a smack down. They fight each other and I've never seen so much tail whipping in my life. They try to steal food when their mouth is full. I'm fair game at feeding time and must watch them to keep them from launching themselves out of the enclosure.
Just wonder if this is an overall eastern trait or just Flames?:D

gregmonsta
03-31-2013, 11:10 AM

... or just Thamnophis?

I have to say that the two radix girls I've got just now are the worst behaved females when it comes to feeding my monsters at the moment :p

guidofatherof5
03-31-2013, 11:37 AM
... or just Thamnophis?

I have to say that the two radix girls I've got just now are the worst behaved females when it comes to feeding my monsters at the moment :p

They are certainly not T.radix Ranch girls that's for sure. My girls are "ladies" :D

Selkielass
03-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Abby(normal eastern) is a tail-whipping pig. Christmas is just as big a greedy-gut, tho he is half her size, and hasn't tail whipped so far. Abby is very dominant, but christmas doesn't care- he just grabs faster and ducks nimbly away

d_virginiana
03-31-2013, 12:38 PM
All three of mine get kind of crazy when it's feeding time. My two adults get pretty intense, but they're sneaky about it. I had my hand over the edge of Harley's tank once, and turned around to see her covered in (my) blood dangling off my hand :P My little baby is the worst by far though. He actually had a mouth infection as a baby because he latched onto the silicone on the side of his tank and wouldn't give up and ended up hurting himself. If he even smells food in the room, he'll come out and start striking at anything that he can see moving through his tank.

guidofatherof5
03-31-2013, 01:01 PM
All three of mine get kind of crazy when it's feeding time. My two adults get pretty intense, but they're sneaky about it. I had my hand over the edge of Harley's tank once, and turned around to see her covered in (my) blood dangling off my hand :P My little baby is the worst by far though. He actually had a mouth infection as a baby because he latched onto the silicone on the side of his tank and wouldn't give up and ended up hurting himself. If he even smells food in the room, he'll come out and start striking at anything that he can see moving through his tank.

Funny stuff, video please.

Steveo
03-31-2013, 02:00 PM
My female eastern did bite the tip of a finger once and tried to swallow it... the smell of fish was pretty strong in the room so I think it was just a feeding response. When they were just little things the male had a piece of food and the female chomped down on his neck, which prompted me to separate for feeding. Both of them are quite docile unless they smell food.

EKS56
03-31-2013, 03:38 PM
Mine should take a few lessons. :O

KephrenJorgensen
04-04-2013, 11:40 AM
My ordinoides will chase me through my house for a banana slug if she can see it. She comes right out if she can see/smell any food. I usually hold a slug at one end of her tank near the top corner, and she will come flying at it from the other corner of the oppposite end with precision accuracy and do laps around the tank until she has swallowed. Now this may be because she's thamnophis, or because of an ordie's addiction to slugs.

guidofatherof5
04-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Or both:D

KephrenJorgensen
04-05-2013, 11:26 AM
I think that's a likely contributin factor ;)

Natrix
05-24-2013, 02:57 PM
I have 2 females and 1 male "Flame" eastern's(Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis). They are wonderful until it's feeding time then it's a smack down. They fight each other and I've never seen so much tail whipping in my life. They try to steal food when their mouth is full. I'm fair game at feeding time and must watch them to keep them from launching themselves out of the enclosure.
Well Steve I have to say this new young lady I have here is certainly the most unpredictable of the four snakes I have. None of the other will bite or even strike at me even at feeding time BUT the Flame is a very different kettle of fish. She becomes highly agitated
Well Steve, The female 'Dorothy' (Dot for short) I have here is definitely the most unpredictable of the four snakes I have. None of the others will even attempt a dry strike, let alone a full onslaught BUT the Flame on the other hand is a totally different kettle of fish. At feeding time she becomes highly agitated and anything is fare game. She has even attacked the glass, mouth wide open in an attempt to get at me.
She certainly keeps me on my toes. Such a cutey!88628863 :D

guidofatherof5
05-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Look at the evil that lurks behind those eyes in the second photo. That's scary :D

Natrix
05-24-2013, 03:53 PM
she certainly is Steve :D

d_virginiana
05-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Huh, my flame is pretty intense around food, but doesn't hold a candle to my two albinos. They've tried to bite the glass before like that... Even had one that started chewing on one of his cage decorations just because I brought food into the room and was moving something in front of his cage.

guidofatherof5
05-24-2013, 06:33 PM
Huh, my flame is pretty intense around food, but doesn't hold a candle to my two albinos. They've tried to bite the glass before like that... Even had one that started chewing on one of his cage decorations just because I brought food into the room and was moving something in front of his cage.

That is funny.

chris-uk
05-25-2013, 01:18 AM
Look at the evil that lurks behind those eyes in the second photo. That's scary :D

I don't see evil. I see quiet, threatening menace. :D

she certainly is Steve :D

Do you want a marcianus to keep you on your toes even more Rod?

Natrix
05-25-2013, 01:36 AM
Got more than enough for now Thankyou, Chris

Greg'sGarters
05-25-2013, 01:58 PM
My concinnus acts like a gentleman, peacefully taking food from my hand My parietalis, is a greedy one, she strikes at food, pulls it from me, eats it vigorously, and then stares at me through the glass for more food.