PDA

View Full Version : Snake laws in Texas

Lowfur
03-24-2013, 03:38 PM
I was looking at the parks and wildlife website, and T.Radix and T.Sirtalis are unfortunately on the Black List. Now does this mean that I cannot own these snakes? It was a pretty big downer being as we were looking to get a T.Radix as a cagemate in 6 months-1year.

guidofatherof5
03-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Bummer. Radixes are awesome. I'm a bit bias though.

d_virginiana
03-24-2013, 04:20 PM
What are the exact specifications for the law? I have a turtle that is 'illegal for sale, trade, or collection' in my state, but she herself is legal. The law has a five-turtle-per-lifetime limit on collection from the wild for whatever reason, and strong penalties for selling or trading them, but as long as I never have more than four more turtles of her species throughout my life, I'm good.

Check up on that... Many of those laws are just to prevent the wild populations from being exploited in the pet trade, but have protections so an individual who catches a wild one for a pet isn't affected.

Lowfur
03-24-2013, 05:23 PM
"Currently, anyone who possesses more than 25 specimens in the aggregate of any animal on the list must have a nongame (collector’s) permit, which costs $18 for Texas residents and $60 for non-residents. Commercial operators who buy and resell listed animals must have a nongame dealer’s permit, which costs $60 for residents and $240 for non-residents.

Nongame permit holders must maintain a daily log showing the date, location, and number of specimens collected or sold. Nongame dealer's permit holders must maintain a current daily record of all purchases and sales, and they are required to submit an annual report summarizing their activities to TPWD." -http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20070409d

So as long as I have less than 25 specimens, I don't need a permit, but I'm not sure about the legalities placed on a breeder outside of texas shipping to me here.

d_virginiana
03-24-2013, 06:46 PM
The breeder or shipper is not responsible for the legality of the animal wherever he/she ships to. That's the buyer's responsibility, so it shouldn't matter who you buy from.
From what I'm reading, it sounds like as long as you personally don't own more than 25 animals on that list (sounds like total though... like you could have 12 radix and 12 sirtalis, but not 25 radix and 25 sirtalis) it doesn't matter how they are obtained.

Lowfur
03-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Ok, that makes more sense, thanks!