PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for nothing (or: new snake had mites)

channa
03-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Got home today from work,after looking in on my snake for while i noticed it had mites... It's the first real look ive had at it as it's the first time ive seen it out. I called the shop to ask them what can be done to which they said it didn't have mites when they sold it! So they must have come from from the brand new setup i bought with it!!

On getting it out to check under the chin and around the cloaca i also noticed it was very thin. Now i realize why i wasn't allowed to handle it. They got it out the tank and straight into a travel pot. Ive kept snakes a long time and been that excited i didn't press to handle it to check it over. Never give it a thought untill now... Hopefully it will pull through and grow to a nice big girl and have lot's of healthy babies. (When i find a male).

Regards Tim

Stefan-A
03-14-2013, 01:07 PM
I edited the title a bit to make it a bit more descriptive of the topic. If you have a better suggestion, let me know.

chris-uk
03-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Sounds like the shop are a bunch of <insert appropriate descriptive or use my chosen term: "shysters">.
It's amazing how frequently shops do stuff like this. I guess lesson learn if they don't let you handle the snake it's time to walk away. Anyway, now you're on the forum you can pick up contacts with decent breeders.

And if you don't mind, can you pm me the name of the shop so I can be sure to avoid them?

Ruth
03-14-2013, 02:41 PM
I bought a corn with mites. I treated all my snakes at the same time and got rid of all mites very quickly. I took out each snake and slathered them in mineral oil, i then allowed them to slide through a paper towel I was holding the mites would come off at this stage. I then placed the snake in a warm bowl of water for several minutes and repeated the towel step. Each snake was placed into a rub that had been sterilized with steam and given paper toweling and a couple of toilet tubes. Each tub had a pot with enough water for them to submerge in . I repeated this everyday for a week. I also ran vasaline(petroleum jelly) around the edge of the vents on the rubs as the mites can't travel through it. After a week I noticed no more mites. I then kept sterilizing the rubs every third day. I never saw any mites after doing this and have yet to face this problem again. We did once have mites with chickens and it left it's mark on me lol and I didn't hold off when I found them on my snake.

I hope all turns out well and am glad the snake went to someone who cares and noticed :)

guidofatherof5
03-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Tim,

How are you treating the mites? If I may suggest.

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husbandry/9493-provent-mite-usage.html

gregmonsta
03-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Got home today from work,after looking in on my snake for while i noticed it had mites... It's the first real look ive had at it as it's the first time ive seen it out. I called the shop to ask them what can be done to which they said it didn't have mites when they sold it! So they must have come from from the brand new setup i bought with it!!

On getting it out to check under the chin and around the cloaca i also noticed it was very thin. Now i realize why i wasn't allowed to handle it. They got it out the tank and straight into a travel pot. Ive kept snakes a long time and been that excited i didn't press to handle it to check it over. Never give it a thought untill now... Hopefully it will pull through and grow to a nice big girl and have lot's of healthy babies. (When i find a male).

Regards Tim

Whatever you decide to treat it with - make sure it's not this - My Experience with Callingtons. - Reptile Forums (http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/944226-my-experience-callingtons.html)

mike_panic
03-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Sounds like the shop are a bunch of <insert appropriate descriptive or use my chosen term: "shysters">.
It's amazing how frequently shops do stuff like this. I guess lesson learn if they don't let you handle the snake it's time to walk away. Anyway, now you're on the forum you can pick up contacts with decent breeders.

And if you don't mind, can you pm me the name of the shop so I can be sure to avoid them?

Unfortunatley, its not just shops that do it. I purchased some Garters from Jason Stoots which had mites. To my surprise, this was his response and I quote "Damn man, I am truly sorry about that. I treated them a few weeks ago, and I had not seen any since. I feel very bad about that, it was not my intention to send her if I thought she still had any. Out of the snakes you bought she was the only one in the rack that had an outbreak. Again, I am very sorry, if it helps at all, I'll send you $20 or a can of provent a mite from work?? I just feel really bad.
Just let me know." After spending several hundreds dollars, THAT ANSWER IS AN ABSOLUTE JOKE. Anyway, you really have to be careful my friends. Reputation, not a big name or a big fancy website but REPUTATION is everything in this hobby. Mike Panichi

BLUESIRTALIS
03-15-2013, 08:14 AM
Well that sounds like a good answer too me! He didn't know the snake still had mites and apologised for it and was nice enough to offer to send you some provent a mite. I know how much of a pain mites are, but everybody knows if you are in this business long enough you will run across mites a few times and that's one reason why it is a very good idea to quarantine. I got some snakes from jason while he was having this same outbreak before the mites were cleared and i told him to ship mine anyway so i kept them in a seperate room until i got the problem resolved. I picked up 15 snakes from him and other than the mites they were all very healthy except for one little baby runt which we knew (and was prewarned) only had a very small chance to make it so i still have 14 healthy snakes from jason and he had very good pricing on everything so i would buy more snakes from him in the future! Jason is a great person and has been very good to me!
unfortunatley, its not just shops that do it. I purchased some garters from jason stoots which had mites. To my surprise, this was his response and i quote "damn man, i am truly sorry about that. I treated them a few weeks ago, and i had not seen any since. I feel very bad about that, it was not my intention to send her if i thought she still had any. Out of the snakes you bought she was the only one in the rack that had an outbreak. Again, i am very sorry, if it helps at all, i'll send you $20 or a can of provent a mite from work?? I just feel really bad.
Just let me know." after spending several hundreds dollars, that answer is an absolute joke. Anyway, you really have to be careful my friends. Reputation, not a big name or a big fancy website but reputation is everything in this hobby. Mike panichi

twgrosmick
03-15-2013, 08:53 AM
Well that sounds like a good answer too me! He didn't know the snake still had mites and apologised for it and was nice enough to offer to send you some provent a mite. I know how much of a pain mites are, but everybody knows if you are in this business long enough you will run across mites a few times and that's one reason why it is a very good idea to quarantine. I got some snakes from jason while he was having this same outbreak before the mites were cleared and i told him to ship mine anyway so i kept them in a seperate room until i got the problem resolved. I picked up 15 snakes from him and other than the mites they were all very healthy except for one little baby runt which we knew (and was prewarned) only had a very small chance to make it so i still have 14 healthy snakes from jason and he had very good pricing on everything so i would buy more snakes from him in the future! Jason is a great person and has been very good to me!

I'm sorry but this is no excuse. I also got snakes in from Jason with mites and was told the mite situation was taken care of. It is unacceptable to send snakes with mites under any circumstance. I have had lots of good dealings with Jason too but all it takes is one bad one and a few lies to screw all that up.....

mike_panic
03-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Well buddy if that sounds like a good answer to you....remind me to never ever ever buy a snakes from you!!!! Lol. I have been breeding snakes longer than many of the forum members have been alive probably and I can proudly say....I have never ever ever had a mite. Not once. If you think that mites are simply part of the hobby my friend you and guys like Jason need to clean your acts up. What I took out of his response was that he new he had mites and sent them anyway. And my friend, for the record, the snake was covered in mites and there is no way in hell he didn't know it before he put money ahead of what's right and shipped that disgusting animal. So in closing, at least in my world, there is never a valid excuse for mites or disease. I'm actually shocked that you would admit to thinking mites are a part of our hobby. It says a lot about how you keep your collection.

BLUESIRTALIS
03-15-2013, 09:03 AM
If you read my post and mike's post it states that jason told him he thought the mites were cleared up and then he apologised and offered to send provent a mite. What else could he have done in this case if he sent out snakes that he thought was mite free and then he gets a call that the snakes still had mites do you think he should have asked for the snakes back? I feel he did the right thing at that time! Im not taking sides or throwing stones at anyone just saying that the snakes had already arrived to mike's with mites so all he could do is apologise and send some treatment for mites!
i'm sorry but this is no excuse. I also got snakes in from jason with mites and was told the mite situation was taken care of. It is unacceptable to send snakes with mites under any circumstance. I have had lots of good dealings with jason too but all it takes is one bad one and a few lies to screw all that up.....

twgrosmick
03-15-2013, 09:20 AM
If you read my post and mike's post it states that jason told him he thought the mites were cleared up and then he apologised and offered to send provent a mite. What else could he have done in this case if he sent out snakes that he thought was mite free and then he gets a call that the snakes still had mites do you think he should have asked for the snakes back? I feel he did the right thing at that time! Im not taking sides or throwing stones at anyone just saying that the snakes had already arrived to mike's with mites so all he could do is apologise and send some treatment for mites!

If that is an acceptable solution for you so be it but as Mike said... there is no way that he didn't know bagging that snake up that it had mites. Snakes shouldn't be sent out with mites ever and ask Robert or anyone else I sent snakes too. After that whole mite outbreak thanks to Jason I didn't ship anything for months until I was sure that it was completely cleared up. Jason was getting out of the hobby quick and at that point his only concern was moving his animals fast rather than doing it the right way. That is the end of the discussion and there isn't anything else that needs to be said.

BLUESIRTALIS
03-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Whoa! Hold your horses there cowboy! I think you and i both misunderstood something here! If you read your post about jason it states that he didn't think the animal had mites so he apologised and then offered to send you a bottle of provent a mite. I simply stated that if that's the case then i feel he did all he could do at that time other then have you send the snake back! And for the record anyone that knows me will tell you that i have very clean animals and have also been in this business a long time with a very good reputation so don't go pointing fingers at me. Im not here to make enemys and i think you took my post the wrong way! I have done shows and rehabilitation on hundreds of snakes with great success and i would say out of all the snakes i rehabbed or bought from shows several of them have had mites and had to be treated so as long as they are treated and my actual collection is clean and mite free that don't say anything bad about me. I am very sanitary with my collection and a very good person to do business with just ask around!

PS. CHANNA SORRY YOUR THREAD GOT HIJACKED AND SORRY THAT THE SHOP DONE YOU WRONG!

well buddy if that sounds like a good answer to you....remind me to never ever ever buy a snakes from you!!!! Lol. I have been breeding snakes longer than many of the forum members have been alive probably and i can proudly say....i have never ever ever had a mite. Not once. If you think that mites are simply part of the hobby my friend you and guys like jason need to clean your acts up. What i took out of his response was that he new he had mites and sent them anyway. And my friend, for the record, the snake was covered in mites and there is no way in hell he didn't know it before he put money ahead of what's right and shipped that disgusting animal. So in closing, at least in my world, there is never a valid excuse for mites or disease. I'm actually shocked that you would admit to thinking mites are a part of our hobby. It says a lot about how you keep your collection.

mike_panic
03-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Well first of all, in the very very few times that a customer wasn't happy or something happened during shipping or whatever, you know what I did? I sent the money back immediately and did whatever I had to do to make it right. And I would never knowingly(and let's be honest here, Jason knew the snake had mites) send a less then PERFECT animal to anyone. It's all about standards my friend. Like I said in my post, based on YOUR response, I would never pick up an animal from you. BaseD on your own words, I already know all I need to know and that is you are not someone I would trust. I actually cannot believe you continue to defend LOW STANDARDS.

BLUESIRTALIS
03-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Your getting this all wrong! I am not defending anyone here all im saying is the way i understood your post before you cleared things up was that he didn't know the snake had mite's so he apologised and tried to send you treatment for them. I don't think it's right to send snakes out with mites to a customer and especially if the customer is not aware of the problem, but you made it sound like he didn't know at the time the snake had mites!
well first of all, in the very very few times that a customer wasn't happy or something happened during shipping or whatever, you know what i did? I sent the money back immediately and did whatever i had to do to make it right. And i would never knowingly(and let's be honest here, jason knew the snake had mites) send a less then perfect animal to anyone. It's all about standards my friend. Like i said in my post, based on your response, i would never pick up an animal from you. Based on your own words, i already know all i need to know and that is you are not someone i would trust. I actually cannot believe you continue to defend low standards.

BLUESIRTALIS
03-15-2013, 10:08 AM
I am one of the most honest and trustworthy people you will ever meet and would never do anyone wrong so im sorry you feel that way man! I personally strive to take very good care of my animals and my customers as well and have never had a bad transaction to speak of! All of my customers have been and will continue to be very pleased!
well first of all, in the very very few times that a customer wasn't happy or something happened during shipping or whatever, you know what i did? I sent the money back immediately and did whatever i had to do to make it right. And i would never knowingly(and let's be honest here, jason knew the snake had mites) send a less then perfect animal to anyone. It's all about standards my friend. Like i said in my post, based on your response, i would never pick up an animal from you. Based on your own words, i already know all i need to know and that is you are not someone i would trust. I actually cannot believe you continue to defend low standards.

mikem
03-15-2013, 12:50 PM
I have never dealt with Jason, so I can't comment on him, but Shawn, I have. Shawn really is one of the best! His collection is super clean. I mean everything, not just the snakes. His quarantine practices are top notch. Any new animals doesn't enter his snake room until everything checks out with a clean bill of health, which can take a while. I've seen him rehabilitate animals several times, taking on sick snakes that would be dead in someone elses hands in a matter of days. It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and judge someone. We're all guilty of it, taking a post that we don't agree with and then make assumptions on a persons character. We need more people with Shawn's compassion and dedication in this hobby.

channa
03-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Tim,

How are you treating the mites? If I may suggest.

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husbandry/9493-provent-mite-usage.html

Ill get mixed opinions but ive always used frontline for my snakes it's the only thing ive ever used that actually gets rid and stays rid of them. Tried all kinds of treatments with little or no success... My vet recommended it believe it or not but obviously took no responsibility for it and had to prescribe for the cat.

Pet Info - Suggested protocol for using Frontline in Reptiles - Vet, Vets in Lydney, Coleford and Newnham - Severnside Veterinary Group - 1 Tuthill, Lydney, Gloucestershire, GL15 5PA, 1A Cupola Close, Mushet Park, Coleford, GL16 8RD, The Old Barber’s (http://www.severnsideveterinarygroup.co.uk/pet-info-page.php?Title=Suggested+protocol+for+using+Frontl ine+in+Reptiles)

THIS IS NOT MY VET!!! Just an article ive found online

guidofatherof5
03-15-2013, 02:09 PM
I would strongly recommend the Provent a mite. It is specifically designed for reptile.

Pro-Products | Provent-a-Mite (http://www.pro-products.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=59)

channa
03-15-2013, 02:11 PM
is it available in the uk Steve?

BLUESIRTALIS
03-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Agreed! If you can find this in the uk it would be best. Garter snakes are a little more sensitive to chemicals! Make sure to read instructions on the provent a mite and let it dry in the cage before putting the snake back in.
i would strongly recommend the provent a mite. It is specifically designed for reptile.

pro-products | provent-a-mite (http://www.pro-products.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&itemid=59)

channa
03-16-2013, 02:32 AM
Agreed! If you can find this in the uk it would be best. Garter snakes are a little more sensitive to chemicals! Make sure to read instructions on the provent a mite and let it dry in the cage before putting the snake back in.

I don't think it's available over here.

guidofatherof5
03-16-2013, 09:23 AM
We had a thread awhile asking about the availability of Provent-A-Mite in the U.K. Here's a link to the thread. The quotes are from that thread.

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/urgent-care/10384-anyone-uk-info-needed.html

http://www.pro-products.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=59

I received a call back(message left) from the makers of Provent-A-Mite. They informed me that they do ship to the U.K. and have many customers their.
I will call them back during business hours to get the particulars.

I just spoke to Bob at Provent-A-Mite. He stated that shipping(to U.K.) cost for 1 can is $15 and $20 for two cans. It can be purchased on the website. An email will be sent to the buyer to explain the exact shipping cost. Bob also welcomed any questions from members, simply email him from the Provent-A-Mite website.

channa
03-16-2013, 03:02 PM
Well despite ordering the mite treatment,i came home this afternoon to find my snake dead. Im gutted to say the least,i called the shop to ask advice they just said it must be something ive done... So please do fire away at me as to what ive done wrong as i don't want this happening again.

Hot end was 26.0 ambient (after ide put a towel on top to stop heat escaping)
Cool end was 19.0 ambient
Had a basking spot which i still need to check when i find my IR gun from keeping monitors.

Please ask away,as ide like to not have another Die in my care.

Thanks Tim

guidofatherof5
03-16-2013, 04:01 PM
First and last I doubt it was something you did. The snake came to you sick and infested with mites. Demand a refund in no uncertain terms.
It's ridiculous they are blaming you. Give me there # and I'll give them a piece of my mind. %$^&*( .
After you get your refund of course.;):D I was looking up some good British insults to call them but decided to not post them.:D

Sorry for your loss.

channa
03-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Thanks Steve. Need to find a reputable breeder here in the uk. I doubt ill trust another shop again.

guidofatherof5
03-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Don't be discouraged on shops, ask the U.K. members what shops they would recommend or buy from forum members.;)

gregmonsta
03-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Sorry to hear that. It's absolutely typical that the shop is trying to push the blame on you. It sounds like the shop has no quaranteen procedure. I'd say it's a case of WC snake full of any number of problems that the shop didn't care about (cheap with good mark up 'disposable' sale).
My stance on shops is well known :P ... I can count the number of shops that I trust on one finger as it stands :eek:

Invisible Snake
03-17-2013, 06:03 AM
Channa, I'm sorry you received a snake with mites.

This thread has been very interesting, now I know from whom I'll never purchase a reptile from.

Selkielass
03-17-2013, 06:34 AM
Im so sorry for your loss.
From what I've read you did nothing wrong. You took in an animal with some severe set backs (to put it mildly) and it just didn't have the reserves to overcome with your help.

Definitely fight for a refund.
In the future never buy a snake at a store or show where they won't, when you are ready to put money on the table, closely examine the animal. Saving the animal from stress by rookie-loos is great, but serious buyers have every right to 'look that horse in the mouth'.

I carry my own fabric pouch when I may be buying, ask about the history of the animal and its parents, and bring it home tucked safely inside my shirt with no bedding or packaging.
Once home they get a bath in Jurassi-mite and then go into quarantine. The pouch gets a hot laundering before returning to my jacket pocket.

Wild caughts and rescues get the same clean up, then first aide and quarantine.

channa
03-17-2013, 07:25 AM
Just got back from the store very interesting turn of events.

channa
03-17-2013, 08:02 AM
Well i went to the store to speak to them face to face.I spoke to the manager who said whoever i spoke to on the phone would be dealt with. We checked the tank that my guy came from and sure enough they all have mites. He was in with some Radix.

He took me into the back room of the shop to show me two baby red sided he had,got them out let me handle and check them over i was allowed to watch them for a good half hour,and they looked ok.The manager offered me one as a replacement and the second should i want it for £30 not the usual £39.99.

Sorry don't know what that is in dollars. Ive maybe done a bad thing but ive taken them bearing in mind they where in a completely different room at the back of the shop,i know mites are very infective but i honestly couldn't see any.I know thats not to say they wont show up in the next few days but i couldn't resist. They are treating the radix today and have asked them to call me when they are free of mites as ide like a pair too. For me they are the only reptile shop that does garter snakes in my area. Ive checked with a few people i know that deal with them and nobody has a bad word to say about them.

I understand alot of folk on here will think im a very silly boy but im all for second chances god knows ive had enough of them.

I have the guys inside a faunarium on paper towel with loo roll hides and a water bowl,gonna monitor them for the next few weeks. They are tiny so if somebody could point me in the direction of feeding them ide be great full... I understand i may get some abuse for what ive done but sorry i couldn't leave them there i wanted them to bad!!

Kindest regards Tim

channa
03-17-2013, 08:05 AM
Ide just like to add a big thank you to you guys for been so helpful and patient with me. Thanks to you all sincerely

guidofatherof5
03-17-2013, 08:10 AM
You did alright Tim. You pressed the issue and obtained a solution the was fair in your eyes.
There are two sides to this coin. I hope the shop will treat the infected snakes properly. My heart aches for all the infected animals but especially the radixes.
Please keep us posted on this situation.

channa
03-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Most certainly will Steve...Thanks ATB

Selkielass
03-17-2013, 08:25 AM
I'm glad you got a better outcome. I hope the little guys thrive for you.
You're going to have to be vigilant about mites. They are tenacious and known to wander and hide in furnishings.
White paper towel, white dishes, disposable cage furniture, all good stuff.
I've also heard of people who create a mite barrier of petroleum jelly near the top of the tank to trap the juveniles when they are in their wandering phase.

Ruth
03-17-2013, 08:51 AM
I'm glad you got a better outcome. I hope the little guys thrive for you.
You're going to have to be vigilant about mites. They are tenacious and known to wander and hide in furnishings.
White paper towel, white dishes, disposable cage furniture, all good stuff.
I've also heard of people who create a
mite barrier of petroleum jelly near the top of the tank to trap the juveniles when they are in their wandering phase.

Yes do this, I do it and you have to be aware that mites travel. Clean the enclosure very often and that will stop the cycle with no need for chemicals which can make poorly or weak snakes worse. I too am for second chances but have walked away from my only pet shop in town due to how he kept his rats which has made life a little harder for me. I think we have to be prepared to walk away no matter how hard. I hope they do well and are with you for many many years :)

chris-uk
03-17-2013, 03:52 PM
If you got a reasonable response from the manager of the shop and feel confident that he will do what he's said to treat the infested snakes (and I assume check his other stock), then only you know if you made the right call by supporting the shop with your business.
You know what you're looking for with the new snakes, so keep them quarantined and keep vigilant.

Regards feeding - small smelt cut into pieces slip down very easily, pinkies cut into small pieces (a bit more messy) or obviously fish fillets can be cut into the appropriate size.

-MARWOLAETH-
03-17-2013, 04:34 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the snake and the rotten deal.

Don't keep babies in faunariums. They can flatten their heads out to fit through the smallest of gaps (like my little sod did)

45cm³ Exo Terras are practically escape proof and will do pair until their subadults.:)

chris-uk
03-17-2013, 04:50 PM
45cm³ Exo Terras are practically escape proof and will do pair until their subadults.:)

Just need to sort the polystyrene background to make sure the little buggers don't get behind it. It's the first place to look if you have an "escape" from an ExoTerra and are using the background.

-MARWOLAETH-
03-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Just need to sort the polystyrene background to make sure the little buggers don't get behind it. It's the first place to look if you have an "escape" from an ExoTerra and are using the background.
I took the background out of mine because the snake can't climb on it so it's was just a waist of space.

Be sure to post pics of the background when it's done!:)

BLUESIRTALIS
03-18-2013, 06:15 AM
You said the snake was very thin and obviously already a very sick snake when you received it so i don't see how anyone could try and point the blame to you! I am so sorry for your loss!
First and last I doubt it was something you did. The snake came to you sick and infested with mites. Demand a refund in no uncertain terms.
It's ridiculous they are blaming you. Give me there # and I'll give them a piece of my mind. %$^&*( .
After you get your refund of course.;):D I was looking up some good British insults to call them but decided to not post them.:D

Sorry for your loss.

BLUESIRTALIS
03-18-2013, 06:29 AM
Im glad you addressed the situation so the other snakes could get treatment and im glad they gave you a replacement!
well i went to the store to speak to them face to face.i spoke to the manager who said whoever i spoke to on the phone would be dealt with. We checked the tank that my guy came from and sure enough they all have mites. He was in with some radix.

He took me into the back room of the shop to show me two baby red sided he had,got them out let me handle and check them over i was allowed to watch them for a good half hour,and they looked ok.the manager offered me one as a replacement and the second should i want it for £30 not the usual £39.99.

Sorry don't know what that is in dollars. Ive maybe done a bad thing but ive taken them bearing in mind they where in a completely different room at the back of the shop,i know mites are very infective but i honestly couldn't see any.i know thats not to say they wont show up in the next few days but i couldn't resist. They are treating the radix today and have asked them to call me when they are free of mites as ide like a pair too. For me they are the only reptile shop that does garter snakes in my area. Ive checked with a few people i know that deal with them and nobody has a bad word to say about them.

I understand alot of folk on here will think im a very silly boy but im all for second chances god knows ive had enough of them.

I have the guys inside a faunarium on paper towel with loo roll hides and a water bowl,gonna monitor them for the next few weeks. They are tiny so if somebody could point me in the direction of feeding them ide be great full... I understand i may get some abuse for what ive done but sorry i couldn't leave them there i wanted them to bad!!

Kindest regards tim

BLUESIRTALIS
03-18-2013, 06:50 AM
No matter who you buy your animals from whether it be the most reputable shop in the world or the greatest breeder in the world always quarantine your snakes! If you buy snakes from pet shops or reptile shows you will more than likely run across mites some time or another and mites on one snake are usually not that hard to deal with, but if you don't quarantine and they spread to your collection you will have a mess on your hands.it's up to us to be responsable and take all the necessary steps to keep our animals safe and clean!
channa, i'm sorry you received a snake with mites.

This thread has been very interesting, now i know from whom i'll never purchase a reptile from.

Invisible Snake
03-18-2013, 09:53 PM
No matter who you buy your animals from whether it be the most reputable shop in the world or the greatest breeder in the world always quarantine your snakes! If you buy snakes from pet shops or reptile shows you will more than likely run across mites some time or another and mites on one snake are usually not that hard to deal with, but if you don't quarantine and they spread to your collection you will have a mess on your hands.it's up to us to be responsable and take all the necessary steps to keep our animals safe and clean!

And that's why I quarantine my reptiles for 60 days

guidofatherof5
03-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Quarantine is a very important part of keeping healthy animals.
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husbandry/7224-quarantine-talk-thread.html

channa
03-24-2013, 10:58 AM
So the mites are back. Kinda getting fed up of it. What do people in the uk use? Provent a mite is not available,callingtons will kill garter snakes and hog nose snakes, zoo meds mite off doesn't do anything at all. The only one left is beaphar insect spray but contains Ivermectin and don't know if that will kill the snakes too.Box says not to be used on animals under 80g and all mine are way under that more like 20g. What do you guys think?

guidofatherof5
03-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Provent-a-Mite is available to be shipped to the U.K.
PM me your address and I'll contact them to see what the cost+shipping will be to you.

guidofatherof5
03-24-2013, 01:25 PM
So the mites are back. Kinda getting fed up of it. What do people in the uk use? Provent a mite is not available,callingtons will kill garter snakes and hog nose snakes, zoo meds mite off doesn't do anything at all. The only one left is beaphar insect spray but contains Ivermectin and don't know if that will kill the snakes too.Box says not to be used on animals under 80g and all mine are way under that more like 20g. What do you guys think?

Don't use it. Too much risk. You can keep the mites at bay by soaking the snakes daily. I think I PM'ed you the instruction. Complete cage cleaning with bleach (10 parts water, 1 part bleach) use paper towels for substrate. A water dish and hide is all you need. Watch the paper towel for any crawling dots. Smash them when you see them. Change paper towels daily, placing them in a plastic bag. Freeze the bag then throw them anyway out of the house.

channa
03-24-2013, 02:52 PM
It is Steve ive emailed them but it's quite expensive to ship and they wont send it recorded delivery so if it goes missing i lose out. Whos to say they send it in the first place. Ive a friend who is on vacation in miami and is going to try get me some while they are there.

guidofatherof5
03-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Great. I hope that works out.
What was shipping going to cost if you don't mind me asking.

guidofatherof5
03-24-2013, 04:15 PM
On the phone with Steve Schmidt. He wanted me to give you this link.

Getting rid of reptile mites (http://www.anapsid.org/mites.html)

ConcinusMan
03-28-2013, 03:45 PM
If you got a reasonable response from the manager of the shop and feel confident that he will do what he's said to treat the infested snakes (and I assume check his other stock)

Checking is not enough. All the reptile tanks and much of the shop area and equipment should be treated simultaneously several times and no reptiles sent out until they're sure the infestation is gone. It's actually rather irresponsible to send out a snake under these circumstances, visible mites on the animal or not. It very well could have started with one snake put in that tank when there was no visible signs yet so visually checking the animal is rather worthless.

You need to go all out and aggressively treat your entire collection and equipment NOW and treat the situation as if your entire snake room is infested even if doesn't appear to be. Declare all out war in your snake room and nuke those suckers hard right now and several more times at intervals then you might have a chance to get rid of them.

channa
03-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Great. I hope that works out.
What was shipping going to cost if you don't mind me asking.

Tim,

Callingtons is actually an aircraft spray they labeled for use with reptiles. It was never designed or formulated for this purpose. The active is not very effective in eliminating mites and you need to use a much higher concentration and more product to achieve any result (a published study done by the University of Florida tested 11 acaracides for ectoparasites on tortoises, where our product was found to be the most effective with the least risk of any health risks and the active in Callingtons was found to be the least effective and posed a higher health risk).

When used as directed, Provent-a-mite will not harm a neonate snake and is commonly used with garters and well as every other species of reptile being kept, but as with any pesticide, it can pose a risk if not used properly. In our case, the product must be dry and all vapors vented from the enclosure before the animals are put back. One problem we have seen is customers spray the bare cage and then put their substrate such as paper liners in before the product has dried. This traps vapors under the liner, so when the snake hides under the liner, it is exposed to the vapors that are still being created by the drying treatment. This is the reason our label states not to treat bare cages, you treat the surface of the substrate. You mention hognosed snakes, which are much more susceptible to chemicals than other species. We have many well known breeders and hobbyists in the US that use Provent-a-mite regularly with their hogs without any problems, but if the application is not dry, or the vapors have not been completely vented, you will have a higher risk of problems with these animals.

Another major issue with Callingtons is that there is no residual protection despite any claim. The active is not photo-stable and breaks down quickly in the presence of any light, so unless the application directly contacts the mites, there is no residual activity to kill the mites that were not directly sprayed, especially the mites that left the cage which will come back at a later date and re-infest the collection. This is why so many repeated applications are required. Provent-a-mite bonds to the treated surface, can't be washed or wiped off once dry and will last at least 30 days (usually several months), so in most cases, one application is all that is needed to eliminate an infestation. Provent-a-mite is also less expensive than other available treatments by using up to 4 times less product per application and is the only product that will provide long term residual protection, usually resulting in only one application necessary to eliminate an infestation.

These are the terms on international orders regarding our Provent-a-mite spray.

We accept Visa, Mastercard, bank checks or a money order in US funds. To ship one can of Provent-a-mite to the UK would be $15.95 + $22.00 S&H, two would be $31.90 + $26.00 S&H. Larger orders can be quoted on request. The order is sent via USPS first class mail which does not provide for insurance coverage, so we can't guarantee the parcel will be delivered and will not be responsible for lost or undelivered mail.

We could just send Provent-a-mite overseas without explaining all of this and you would most likely just end up just getting the parcel, but we want to be as honest as we can with our customers up front as so to avoid any problems later on.

If you would like to order this online, you can do so by ordering the product and then in the special instructions section located on the final order page, tell us that you agree with the terms of this e-mail. You will be charged per this e-mail and not what will automatically show up on the shopping cart.

Bob @ Pro Products
promist@comcast.net
www.pro-products.com (http://www.pro-products.com/)
845-628-8960

channa
03-28-2013, 04:04 PM
To be honest i may just risk the £40 it's gonna cost and get two cans and just hope to god it turns up.

channa
03-28-2013, 04:14 PM
So with regards to that email do i just copy and paste it into the the special field and then type that i agree? How will the money be sorted out if im paying online? Thanks sorry if im been thick

guidofatherof5
03-28-2013, 06:11 PM
So with regards to that email do i just copy and paste it into the the special field and then type that i agree? How will the money be sorted out if im paying online? Thanks sorry if im been thick

I don't think you need to copy the email into the special field. Simply stated that you agree to the terms in the email sent to you on ? by Bob @ pro-products. You will have a copy of the email for your records and so will they.
I've spoken to Bob a few times and have found him to be straight forward and upfront. I've been using the product for a few years now and can say it wiped out my mite problem in one application. I did do a second application. My collection has been mite-free since I started using Provent-a-Mite after fighting mites for 6 months with the other products. Making sure there is no vapor is the most important thing. Your shipping is double the shipping to U.S. addresses. I thought it would be more.