PDA

View Full Version : home-made garter food

poissonguppy
06-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Hey all,

I've decided to try Alan Fancis's homemade garter food that uses trout. Has anyone tried this? And if you have, what's your opinion of it?

I'm having a really hard time getting any type of fish that doesn't have Thiaminase in it. The trout at the store is $7.99/lb!! :eek: What's cheap fish that doesn't contain the enzyme? I have Tilapia but I am pretty sure it contains thiaminase. It's not on the care sheet so.... :confused:

Thanks.

drache
06-30-2007, 07:09 PM
I don't know how many garters you're feeding, but a pound of trout will last you quite a while
now, I'm estimating weights here, but an average adult garter would probably eat something in the neighborhood of half an ounce every five days or so, which would mean that you can divide your purchase price by 32 per meal, which ends up being around $ .25 every five days or so
I don't think that's prohibitive

ssssnakeluvr
06-30-2007, 07:11 PM
I buy fresh trout at a place called Sam's Club here, about 8-9 bucks for a package of 3. I cut them into 3 pieces and freeze them. I usually use 2 pieces fer feeding....however, lately, I've been going thru 3..got a few more garters lately!!!

Snaky
07-02-2007, 04:05 AM
I tried it once, with mixed results. Those that are easy eaters, they ate it ( fe. marcianus ). Those that are a bit picky in their lunch didn't eat them ( fe. cyrtopsis ). Alan Francis said that all his snakes eat it, except his ocellatus, so the odds of them eating it are in favor ;).

It's quite easy in the sense that you can make a lot of food in 1 day and it's easy to chop in pieces. But I can get more easily to other fish.

adamanteus
07-02-2007, 01:00 PM
I intend to try it, when I get around to it, but all my snakes are eating so well at the moment. I figure "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"