PDA

View Full Version : Albino Vagrans update

Joshua
02-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Hey y'all, just wanted to share a post-brumation update of my albino boy. He's in shed, but it's not very often that I find him staying still for a photo op.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/823578_10200736312510477_145602398_o.jpg

thamneil
02-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Very pretty! I really like the contrast of dark and light tones.

Joshua
02-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks. This pic doesn't do much for his true contrast. The yellow and purple really pops. Once he sheds I'll try for a pic with natural light.

guidofatherof5
02-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Sweet.

Invisible Snake
02-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Great looking specimen! I wish he was in my collection, I love morphs!

BLUESIRTALIS
02-22-2013, 06:10 AM
Sweet snake! Does he have an old injury on his tail? I say he will lose the tip of his tail in a shed or two.

Ruth
02-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Sweet snake! Does he have an old injury on his tail? I say he will lose the tip of his tail in a shed or two.

That's exactly what i was wondering.

i_heart_sneakie_snakes
02-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Aw, he is just to adorable!!! I'm not an albino fan, but this boy is so freaking cute!!!

Joshua
02-22-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure about the tail. He is WC and was found with a female that is missing the tip of her tail. It's not uncommon in wild snakes in this area. I seem to remember it is often related to flukes (parasites). I got him early last summer, and it hasn't gotten any worse. It's still responsive to touch, so the nerves are at least mostly functioning.

guidofatherof5
02-22-2013, 02:33 PM
I don't believe the loss of a tail tip has anything to do with parasites.
A retained shed is usually the culprit.

Joshua
02-22-2013, 03:11 PM
"There are no data to indicate that snake parasites or diseases regulate wild populations. In captive individuals, fungal infections and respiratory problems can be substantial (Narcisse den individuals have been observed with fungal infections). A parasitic fluke often causes wild snakes to lose the ends of their tails and may be responsible for breeding failures. Its incidence varies considerably from year to year and appears related to the fall condition of snakes (poor condition is associated with high fluke infestations)."

It's also cited in the academic literature, but I don't have access to the online journals.

http://www.naturenorth.com/spring/creature/garter/Fgarter.html

We ran into this a lot with a field survey of the only documented population of black racers in Maine. Many of the older animals were also missing their tail tips. Garter and Water snakes are notorious for high numbers of flukes. There is no retained shed on the tail of the albino.

BLUESIRTALIS
02-22-2013, 03:35 PM
What steve is trying to say is that most of the time when the snake is missing it's tail tip it is due to a retained shed. Also in the wild it could be caused by injury, frost bite, fungal infections, or lots of other unpredictable things, but in this case i don't think it would be from flukes. If the snake had a fluke at it's tail tip you would see a lump.

"there are no data to indicate that snake parasites or diseases regulate wild populations. In captive individuals, fungal infections and respiratory problems can be substantial (narcisse den individuals have been observed with fungal infections). A parasitic fluke often causes wild snakes to lose the ends of their tails and may be responsible for breeding failures. Its incidence varies considerably from year to year and appears related to the fall condition of snakes (poor condition is associated with high fluke infestations)."

it's also cited in the academic literature, but i don't have access to the online journals.

http://www.naturenorth.com/spring/creature/garter/fgarter.html

we ran into this a lot with a field survey of the only documented population of black racers in maine. Many of the older animals were also missing their tail tips. Garter and water snakes are notorious for high numbers of flukes. There is no retained shed on the tail of the albino.

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-22-2013, 03:57 PM
I have seen many wild caught garters (mostly concinnus at shows) with this on their tails. I don't know what it is, but I can tell you it isn't retained shed, or old wounds. It is some sort of infection, whether fungal or bacterial, I don't know, but it causes red, tender areas, the slight waviness, swelling, and sometimes small open sores. It is always on the tip of the tail.

Joshua
02-22-2013, 05:02 PM
If it looks like it's getting worse I'll clip it and send it out, but for now I don't think it is a problem. If it comes to that, I'll share whatever we find out. Swabs, cultures, fecals and bloodwork are all good currently. Worth noting, this upcoming shed will be his first in captivity. Although he ate well on worms and then pink mice last summer, he never went into shed. Same for the normal female that was found with him.

guidofatherof5
02-22-2013, 05:03 PM
That seems a long time to go without a shed.

Joshua
02-22-2013, 05:19 PM
I agree, I found it a bit odd as well. They wintered well, and are voracious now, so hopefully things pick up as they continue to adapt to the captive lifestyle.

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-22-2013, 06:33 PM
I don't think the lack of a shed is a problem. My young olive python went 8 months without a shed even though in that time she tripled in size and girth.

Joshua
02-22-2013, 06:51 PM
I've had diamond pythons seemingly skip shed cycles as well. I don't lose sleep over it.

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-22-2013, 10:01 PM
I never worry about shedding, or lack of shedding. The only time it is cause for alarm, is when the animal begins shedding very rapidly, such as every 2 weeks or so.

Jeff B
02-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Hey y'all, just wanted to share a post-brumation update of my albino boy. He's in shed, but it's not very often that I find him staying still for a photo op.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/823578_10200736312510477_145602398_o.jpg

Gorgeous snake

guidofatherof5
02-23-2013, 09:19 AM
If it looks like it's getting worse I'll clip it and send it out, but for now I don't think it is a problem. If it comes to that, I'll share whatever we find out. Swabs, cultures, fecals and bloodwork are all good currently. Worth noting, this upcoming shed will be his first in captivity. Although he ate well on worms and then pink mice last summer, he never went into shed. Same for the normal female that was found with him.

I'm a little confused about this being its first shed.
In your original thread you said it shed once possibly twice or did I read something wrong?

Joshua
02-23-2013, 09:27 AM
Given its size when I got him, I was guessing he had only shed once or twice in the wild. He has yet to shed in captivity.

Joshua
02-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Steve mentioned via private message a previous post of mine in which this guy had recently shed. My records are kept on my computer and through the wonders of technology, weren't saved properly. This is NOT his first shed since I've had him. His first and only shed was in July 2012. There is definitely no stuck shed on the tail.

chris-uk
02-28-2013, 03:58 PM
I have a couple of squigglies that haven't shed since July/Aug, so the timescale isn't unique. My two eat in summer and stop in the Autumn, so they haven't grown much since the last shed.

sirtalis01
02-28-2013, 08:13 PM
sweet

BLUESIRTALIS
03-01-2013, 08:39 AM
At this point i don't think you have anything to worry about. I think a couple of sheds should fix this although he may lose the very tip of his tail. It does look very old and it looks like it is healed up so i don't see it spreading or getting worse. He is a very nice snake and i hope you can produce some scrubs from him!
if it looks like it's getting worse i'll clip it and send it out, but for now i don't think it is a problem. If it comes to that, i'll share whatever we find out. Swabs, cultures, fecals and bloodwork are all good currently. Worth noting, this upcoming shed will be his first in captivity. Although he ate well on worms and then pink mice last summer, he never went into shed. Same for the normal female that was found with him.

ConcinusMan
03-07-2013, 06:48 PM
If it looks like it's getting worse I'll clip it and send it out, but for now I don't think it is a problem.

Nor do I. Looks like normal "wear and tear" for a snake that's been living in the wild. He's looking good and healthy overall. "Don't sweat the small ****" as they say.