PDA

View Full Version : Strange Behavior

Sherrie
02-16-2013, 03:19 PM
So my son's snake has been exhibiting some bizarre behavior I thought I would ask y'all about. It's the albino checkered I had posted about a while back asking for sexing help. He/she's about 9- 12 months. Here's a little history. He's always been very shy and hides pretty much all the time. A couple months ago, I got a bigger tank and added some more natural hides, etc to his tank along with some plastic plants and leaves. I also added an infrared heat lamp. I had an undertank heating pad, but I think it was too small and wasn't doing much good. So since then he's seemed happier and actually moves around more and likes to lay out under his heat lamp. Now up till 3 days ago he had only eaten earth worms. I tried a few months back to get him to eat some fish, both live and f/t. But he absolutely refused to eat either and I tried for awhile. The other day I bought some pinkies and 3 days ago I cut up an extra small pinkie into small pieces and mixed that up with half a worm cut up into small pieces. Well he loved it and ate it all, so then I gave him half a silverside cut up and scented it with worm and he ate that too. It was great that I was able to get him to eat something else. So the next day I just happened to be looking over at his tank from across the room and all the sudden he just starts freaking out. I mean jumping and twisting and flying all over the tank. That just lasted for a few seconds. Then he stopped a few seconds then all the sudden he was at it again worse than the first time. I did not realize that a snake could fly and jump like that, it was crazy. Since then he's been hiding out on the cool side of his tank curled up and not moving around much at all. Today my son gets him out and he immediately pooped on him which he never does anymore. So my son put him down and went and washed his hands then came back and picked him up again and HE BIT HIM!! He's never done that before. He just basically struck at him with mouth open, didn't latch or anything and didn't leave a mark on my son's hand. He continued holding him for a few minutes. The snake seemed a little agitated but not too bad, then we put him back in the tank and he's back to hiding out on the cold side. Any ideas what could be going on with him? Sorry this turned out to be so long.

guidofatherof5
02-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Is the snake still tongue flicking as normal?
Moving normal?
How do you offer food?

Did that tail tip come off yet?

Sherrie
02-16-2013, 03:32 PM
Yes, tongue is still flicking as normal and moving normally when he decides to move. Sometimes I offer food on tongs and sometime place in his food dish. He usually eats it pretty quickly and I have paper towel on the floor so don't have to worry about food getting stuck to substrate. And yes his tail tip did come off.

guidofatherof5
02-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Not sure what the problem could be. Maybe stress getting used to the new digs. Maybe a bad mood.
Hard to say.

Sherrie
02-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Well, like I say, he's been in his new tank for about a month and has really seemed to be liking it. The only new thing really is the food. So I don't know either. I hope he's ok though. Thanks for your help. :)

Light of Dae
02-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Maybe the excitement of new food was a little much n he thought to but on a dance to show how much he enjoyed it? lol I think the biting was probably cause of new food item, though for even a second that his hand was food? New food is good. Sometimes they have a funny way of saying thanks. :P

Sherrie
02-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Lol. Thanks. I know some illnesses can cause snakes to have convulsions, but I wouldn't describe what he was doing as convulsions. Has anyone ever seen their snakes dance around/jump around like this?

Sherrie
02-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Oh, I also wanted to add. Obviously pinkies and fish take longer and are harder to digest than worms, do you think that could have something to do with it?

Selkielass
02-16-2013, 05:51 PM
My snakes seem to get hungrier as spring arrives- less picky, more likely to try anything, including fingers to see if its edible.
I don't know about the jumping about... no chance of mites irritating him or some new movement spooking him?

guidofatherof5
02-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Well, like I say, he's been in his new tank for about a month and has really seemed to be liking it. The only new thing really is the food. So I don't know either. I hope he's ok though. Thanks for your help. :)

Must have missed the month ago on the hew fixings in the tank. Forget that idea as a cause.