PDA

View Full Version : Are Angelfish "Safe" fish??

i_heart_sneakie_snakes
02-07-2013, 10:08 PM
A close friend of mine keeps angelfish and they have just layed eggs. He knows there will be culling of the babies to do and asked if my snakes can eat them. I checked the "Safe fish list" and I don't see angels as safe or unsafe. Does anyone know if the babies would be safe for my snakes??

d_virginiana
02-07-2013, 10:25 PM
I imagine it would be a bad idea. Angels are saltwater fish right? Garters can be very sensitive to salt content in their food, so I wouldn't risk it.

thamneil
02-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Your friend keeps freshwater angelfish also known as scalare angels if I remember correctly. Saltwater angels cannot be bred in captivity to the best of my knowledge. Angels are a cichlid, belonging to the same group as tilapia, and are therefore thiaminase free. Keep in mind that they are a funny shape and the fins can be awkward. I'd give the fins a trim and possibly cut the fish horizontally depending on size.

i_heart_sneakie_snakes
02-07-2013, 11:22 PM
I imagine it would be a bad idea. Angels are saltwater fish right? Garters can be very sensitive to salt content in their food, so I wouldn't risk it.
No, these are fresh water Angelfish.

Your friend keeps freshwater angelfish also known as scalare angels if I remember correctly. Saltwater angels cannot be bred in captivity to the best of my knowledge. Angels are a cichlid, belonging to the same group as tilapia, and are therefore thiaminase free. Keep in mind that they are a funny shape and the fins can be awkward. I'd give the fins a trim and possibly cut the fish horizontally depending on size.
I was thinking of clipping the fins off. I thought those might be an issue if swallowed the wrong way.

kimbosaur
02-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Also, make sure he hasn't used any meds or treatments in the water!

Steveo
02-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Also, make sure he hasn't used any meds or treatments in the water!

This. Antifungals such as methyline blue are commonly used to protect the eggs until they hatch.

i_heart_sneakie_snakes
02-08-2013, 09:49 AM
He has not used anything to treat or medicate. He also moved the eggs from the parents before they started hatching. He isn't a breeder or anything, just a friend who will have extras :)