PDA

View Full Version : Lonely Garters?

ravgez
02-05-2013, 09:51 PM
This thought just popped up in my head, do garters ever get lonely? Was just wondering if they are animals that are fine being solo or prefer being near others. I was thinking of maybe getting a roommate for my little garter once i really get everything really down with caring for this one first. If not then maybe ill just keep this one alone. It just looks so lonely in solitary confinement. Sorry if my questions may seem stupid, just curious!:D

guidofatherof5
02-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Not a stupid question at all.
Lonely might not be the right word. I think that is some of it but more so it's less stress on them when they have a roomy.
They feel more comfort when they are with others. Safety in numbers kind of thing.

d_virginiana
02-05-2013, 11:15 PM
I think it's kind of like it is with goldfish. If they have a buddy, they usually appreciate it, but their quality of life isn't really diminished by being alone either.

AngelOtter
02-05-2013, 11:48 PM
They do live in groups in the wild, they hybernate in them, but they also live alone during the warmer months, so I suppose either way is natural. :)

thamneil
02-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Wouldn't say they are social or gregarious. More so tolerant of their own kind. They are not found together in the wild due to social structure but because of favourable habitat and hibernacula.

Lisa4john
02-06-2013, 12:06 AM
Sammi has definitely been more droopy since she is alone. Not as social with us, hiding a lot more, if I didn't know better I'd think she was depressed. I'm hoping to have a roomy for her asap. She finally shed yesterday so she is growing, slowly. Eventually I'm hoping to have her in with the Radix girls.

d_virginiana
02-06-2013, 12:45 AM
Wouldn't say they are social or gregarious. More so tolerant of their own kind. They are not found together in the wild due to social structure but because of favourable habitat and hibernacula.

I wouldn't say they have a 'social structure' per se, but I think it's more than just sharing good habitat. I think there's also a sort of safety in numbers mentality. Like how shy garters in captivity will sometimes be more likely to eat if they see a braver cage-mate come out and start eating first.

Stefan-A
02-06-2013, 02:15 AM
This thought just popped up in my head, do garters ever get lonely?
Only in the spring and even then, "loneliness" is a euphemism.

Was just wondering if they are animals that are fine being solo or prefer being near others.
They're fine being alone. They're indifferent when they're not alone.

Sorry if my questions may seem stupid, just curious!:D
Curiosity is good.

Thamnophis
02-06-2013, 02:57 AM
In the wild, the number of garter snakes that can be found on one location, is not dependent on how social they are, but how much food there is available.
The only "social" event they know is when they seek a partner for reproduction-reasons (Hi babe, do you come here often? Let's copulate! Was it as good for you as it was for me? Ok, I'm gone now...) and when they are "forced" to use the same place to brumate.

guidofatherof5
02-06-2013, 09:04 AM
In the wild, the number of garter snakes that can be found on one location, is not dependent on how social they are, but how much food there is available.
The only "social" event they know is when they seek a partner for reproduction-reasons (Hi babe, do you come here often? Let's copulate! Was it as good for you as it was for me? Ok, I'm gone now...) and when they are "forced" to use the same place to brumate.

This is good stuff. I gotta write this down.:D

BLUESIRTALIS
02-06-2013, 09:15 AM
I have noticed that some of my more aggressive females have attitude changes when i put them in groups. I don't know if it's because they feel more secure around other snakes or what. I do know that when i flip boards, rocks, or tin i find snakes in groups most of the time.

EKS56
02-06-2013, 09:31 AM
I have two housed together and they are almost always laying together.

-MARWOLAETH-
02-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Only the Psammophisines (ecspecially the Montpellier snake) and the King Cobra display complex social behaviors.

Selkielass
02-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Mine seem calmer and more eager to eat with companions.
I am starting to theorize that butlers get important pheromone and hormone cues during mass brumation. Like women in the same household having synchronized cycles.) Small females in the presence of a larger female eat more and mature more quickly than those housed solo or with other immature companions.
My sample size is small, but so far behavior is pretty predictable.

ravgez
02-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the info guys! My baby just had its first shed this morning! its growing fast, i think i might get another baby next month during spring break. Hopefully by then i can be able to hold mine long enough to find out the sex to make sure no breeding goes on. i feel like it would appreciate having at least another roomate to keep company.

ConcinusMan
02-06-2013, 03:19 PM

Exactly. They don't come together to socialize exactly. Garters are solitary for the most part, except at breeding time. The rest of the time, they couldn't care less about having company. They're not mammals. Socializing and company is a mammilian need/survival tactic. If you happen to find some together when not breeding, it's just because they just so happen to be favoring the same spot for whatever reason. Not because they want to be together.

So I would say NO, they don't "get lonely". I think a lot of people that are observing negative reactions/behavior when alone, or positive behavior when snakes are together, are mistaken as to the reason for the behavior. I don't think it's because they are "lonely" but rather, they feel less secure and vulnerable to attack when they are in the open alone. In the open as part of a group, the individual is less vulnerable to attack so they might feel a bit more secure when other snakes are nearby. It's pretty much the same reason many birds form large flocks in the winter. It's not because they want the company. It's because they're safer against predation. "safety in numbers"

Mine seem... more eager to eat with companions..

That's because there is competition for the same available food.http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

kimbosaur
02-06-2013, 04:46 PM
I have noticed that my garters regularly follow each other around and they frequently share the same hiding spot. I think a part of is that they instinctively follow the other guy to see what goodies he/she might find. I've noticed this at feeding the most. They are very aware of each other and would rather go for the same piece of food even if there is an entire plate in front of their nose. They do seem pretty indifferent when they are apart though.

ConcinusMan
02-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Mine seem calmer and more eager to eat with companions.

I've also seen the exact opposite thing happen. Some garters stress out when kept with others (nervous, rooting around, nose rubbing, constantly trying to escape, etc.) but calm down when alone. Don't just dismiss such behavior. Social stress can be a killer. Also don't dismiss that kind of behavior when they're kept singly. There's a reason for it and it's important to correct it. Ignoring it isn't good. Snake is insecure/uncomfortable for a reason. They should settle down and seem confortable/at home, not be constantly nose rubbing and trying to escape.

I've even just broke down and released WC snakes for doing that, even if they seem to be doing well otherwise. A stressed snake isn't going to do well in the long run. With some of them, simply keeping them alone solved the stress issue.