PDA

View Full Version : Dream job

Tori
06-28-2007, 02:16 PM
I recently had to turn down my personal dream job and I can't get it out of my mind. I was offered a job with one of the largest and most reputable reptile breeders in Michigan. To me, this was a job right up there with joining the circus when it comes to impossible dreams. I not only would have been working with Alex Hue, I would have been working with his private collection! But I have 2 jobs now and attend college at night. To take that job I would have had to quit one of the other ones, plus take a serous pay cut and a bad cut in hours. To drive there would have been a matter of around $15 in gas a week for only 10 hours of work. I couldn't afford to take it, but it is still killing me. I KNOW he won't offer me the chance again. Sorry, just had to whine a little.

Tori

Elliot
06-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Well, at least you still get to work with all of your snakes. (escpecially your redsided!)

Stefan-A
06-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Can't say I've been there, I've always had to accept jobs I really wasn't interested in doing. I supposed work is something most of us do just to fund our hobbies.

poissonguppy
06-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Can't say I've been there, I've always had to accept jobs I really wasn't interested in doing. I supposed work is something most of us do just to fund our hobbies.

Tori, you chose what you thought was best. Don't be too hard on yourself.

(Yeah... I've totally given up on getting a job I'm really happy about.)

Tori
06-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks guys. I just keep kicking myself thinking there should have been some way to work it out, but I couldn't support the reptiles I own now if I were making less money. I did what I had to do, but .... Its that but that keeps hitting me at weak moments. Getting paid to do what I love doing and do for free at home, sounds good to me. There is just so much I want to learn about keeping reptiles! I want to learn how to check for parasites myself and what meds for what reptile and when. There are so few vets around that really know much about them or are willing to treat them. A lot of it could be done from home if you have the right equipment. I'll just have to keep trying to learn from books, I guess. Thanks again, everyone.

Tori

adamanteus
06-28-2007, 04:15 PM
You made the right choice Tori. We all need to earn money first, the rest is a bonus. I guess the novelty would soon wear off if you couldn't afford to live. I find that life has a way of compensating us for the little disappointments and difficult choices we have to make. A couple of weeks from now and you'll be rewarded.