PDA

View Full Version : minumum capacity??

ThamnophisManiac
06-28-2007, 11:13 AM
i have a ten gallon tank right now and am going to blow all the rest of my money (12 dollars:( ) on lighting and stuff. i was just wondering what the maximum length a garter would be comfortable in it??

Lee
06-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Lighting is not required for a garter snake, mine have done fine without it, while it helps if your very restricted on budget its best to keep your money for either food or something of higher priority.

Sid
06-28-2007, 11:48 AM
i have a ten gallon tank right now and am going to blow all the rest of my money (12 dollars:( ) on lighting and stuff. i was just wondering what the maximum length a garter would be comfortable in it??

A good rule of thumb is length of enclosure should be equal to or more than the lenght of the snake. So, for a 10 gallom tank, 18 to 20 inches long maxium for the snake.

Sid

Josh
06-28-2007, 02:12 PM
THe lenth of the tank

ThamnophisManiac
06-28-2007, 02:49 PM
ok thnx lots...if i find a snake round that size i can keep it . also, thety are building a house across the street from mine so i could possibly make a bigger tank with scrap wood :rolleyes: :rolleyes: hope so

Stefan-A
06-28-2007, 02:56 PM
They'll grow. ;)

Elliot
06-28-2007, 03:04 PM
ok thnx lots...if i find a snake round that size i can keep it . also, thety are building a house across the street from mine so i could possibly make a bigger tank with scrap wood :rolleyes: :rolleyes: hope so

You should definatley try to build or by a bigger tank, there are numerous benefits of them and I can't really think of a downside besides maybe they take a few minutes longer to clean.

KITKAT
06-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Lighting is not required for a garter snake, mine have done fine without it, while it helps if your very restricted on budget its best to keep your money for either food or something of higher priority.

I want to add... unless you are using the light for heat. If you live in a heavily air conditioned house, it can be too cold in summer if the thermostat is set in the low 70's.