PDA

View Full Version : lizards with make-up

drache
06-28-2007, 08:20 AM
we just rented this movie "Holes" because Mikhaila (gartergirl) was reading the book.
it's a fun movie AND it's got lizard actors
they're supposed to be very deadly venomous yellow spotted lizards (fictional)
they are lovely painted beardies and some frilled dragons
there is a particularly fetching scene where the two protagonists are just about covered with dragons
definitely a movie I'm willing to watch more than once

Josh
06-28-2007, 08:45 PM
I loved that book AND movie.

GarterGirl
07-20-2007, 05:33 PM
It's so cool!
I bet we are going to rent it again and again and again
and finally we will buy it (after we move).

Lulu Bennett
07-20-2007, 05:40 PM
lol i have never heard of it

CrazyHedgehog
07-21-2007, 04:52 AM
Holes is a kids movie - but well worth watching!

Lulu Bennett
07-23-2007, 03:37 AM
lol i'll take your word for it. i will try and find it at the local blockbuster

KITKAT
07-25-2007, 11:39 AM
I just saw "Miss Potter". It was much better than I expected, and I now recommend it!:rolleyes:

Lulu Bennett
07-26-2007, 04:19 AM
speaking of Potters i saw harry potter order of the pheonix. it was great :D

CrazyHedgehog
07-26-2007, 04:26 AM
me too, this was such a moody book that I wasn't expecting the film to be too good, but it was!!
have bought the last book, but have too much studying to do before September to have time to read it!!

Elliot
07-26-2007, 09:33 AM
I've started on the last book, it's pretty good so far!

GGarter
07-26-2007, 10:00 AM
I finished "HP and the deadly hallows this monday. I liked it alot! so many closures of all the things you were wondering about...
I was actually a bit disappointed with the phoenix order movie.
There was a lot of things espically about the Black's, that I find quite important concerned the following books, that were missing.
But hey , it must be a hell trying to get all the small sidestories fit in the movie....

drache
07-26-2007, 11:17 AM
I finished "HP and the deadly hallows this monday. I liked it alot! so many closures of all the things you were wondering about...
I was actually a bit disappointed with the phoenix order movie.
There was a lot of things espically about the Black's, that I find quite important concerned the following books, that were missing.
But hey , it must be a hell trying to get all the small sidestories fit in the movie....

I totally agree about the movie (haven't finished the deadly hallows yet)
it just didn't carry me along
there were too many holes in it and it seemed chopped up

Lulu Bennett
07-26-2007, 03:11 PM
to be honest i have not read any of the books i was more into LotR books. someone flick to the end of the new HP book and tell me who dies :D

CrazyHedgehog
07-26-2007, 05:39 PM
ahh LOTR... read the hobbit at 8 years old, by 9 I had started the LOTR.. got scared and hid the books....!!!!

Read them again while I was pregnant....talk about a film missing so much story!!! those films should have been three per book!

Lulu Bennett
07-26-2007, 05:48 PM
yup i was quite disapointed with the movies but they were still very good though

drache
07-26-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm really into LoTR as well, but nobody's written anything like it
I would not compare HP to it

KITKAT
07-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Well... you are comparing a book series written to appeal to children and teens (HP) versus a book series written to give adults west of the Atlantic, a substitute for cultural history and myths and legends, and written by a professor of Old English at Oxford (LOTR).

The HP books are written for fun. The LOTR books are written to fill a cultural void that Tolkien felt we suffered here in the USA.

drache
07-27-2007, 05:40 AM
Well... you are comparing a book series written to appeal to children and teens (HP) versus a book series written to give adults west of the Atlantic, a substitute for cultural history and myths and legends, and written by a professor of Old English at Oxford (LOTR).

The HP books are written for fun. The LOTR books are written to fill a cultural void that Tolkien felt we suffered here in the USA.

that is so well put
it's what I was trying to say
thanks

enigma200316
07-27-2007, 12:35 PM
well I loved both of the series as that is the type of stuff I really like!!!!
and yes there were some deaths in the last book, but I can't say how it ends just in case others are reading and aren't finished....over all I thought it was great!!!!!! and I'll miss it, but you never know if it will come
back????????????????????

Lulu Bennett
07-27-2007, 12:42 PM
hehehehehehehehehe!!! i already know ! :D
actually i am quite gutted :(

CrazyHedgehog
07-27-2007, 04:47 PM
nnooooo sssssshhhhhhhhh.
Haven't had time to read it yet!!

Lulu Bennett
07-27-2007, 04:52 PM
im not that nasty. the only reason i wanted to know was because i wont find out till the movie because i just cant get into books. i was only just able to finish LotR and i really enjoied that book.

adamanteus
07-28-2007, 01:06 AM
The LOTR books are written to fill a cultural void that Tolkien felt we suffered here in the USA.

Why do you feel that Tolkein wrote The Lord of the Rings for the US market?:confused:

Stefan-A
07-28-2007, 11:13 AM
I was always under the impression that he looked to fill a cultural void in Britain, or rather try to create a kind of mythology he felt the culture lacked.

Snaky
07-28-2007, 12:07 PM
I must say that I was a little disappointed with HP and the order of the Phoenix. I found it the least of all the films till now. Altough I like the fact that I've seen it on IMAX and for a part in 3D while I was in Florida:) It's just impossible to see it like that in Belgium.

I have a friend of mine who only reads fantasy like LOTR. He has quite a collection and says that there are some very good fantasy stories out there, but most won't reach the big audiance probably and some contain more than 10 books to read... He advised me "De drakentroon" (Dutch title), I've looked it up in English:
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JMKBWSY2L._SS500_.jpg
Can't say whether it's as good, better or worse as LOTR because I haven't read LOTR. I've read the first book (of the 5 if I'm correct) till now and found it good, it also has a complete world around it and a history that happened.

KITKAT
07-30-2007, 06:19 PM
I was always under the impression that he looked to fill a cultural void in Britain, or rather try to create a kind of mythology he felt the culture lacked.

I actually read an interview with him, in which he said that WWI and WWII did not affect his writing as much as people think, and that he felt bad for those "from the west" who did not have the cultural, mythological, and historical stories of old to enjoy. I assumed by "the west" that he meant the western hemisphere... :confused: