PDA

View Full Version : Fish diet

Fish
01-07-2013, 06:09 AM
I've been reading quite a lot on the diet for Garters and one of the things that attracted me to them in the first place was the fact that they don't NEED fish but my question is can they live a happy and healthy life on a varied fish only diet? If the answer is no then I will stop right here and step away!

And before you ask I can't feed and kind of rodents due to other household members threatening to throw me out haha I'm not keen on it myself but would probably get over it after a while.

guidofatherof5
01-07-2013, 07:25 AM
The best diet would be a mix/varied diet.
What species are you feeding?

Fish
01-07-2013, 07:28 AM
I haven't got anything yet as I'm still researching. I would feed silversides (have loads of them to feed my dads snow flake eel) and then a mixture of other fish from the safe list. I could also throw in some worms and live feeder fish now and then

-MARWOLAETH-
01-07-2013, 07:44 AM
Oops double post.

-MARWOLAETH-
01-07-2013, 07:47 AM
They can especially if your feeding whole fish only thiaminase free fish .You can also feed earth worms ,they can make a large portion of diet if they are of good quality. TBH they do better with a varied diet of fish worm and pinkies. If th family has a real problem with mice just feed the pinkys as a treat once a month or so.

Selkielass
01-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Thiaminase and preservative free fish are a great base diet. Many species eat primarily fish in the wild, but they will also take advantage of tadpoles, snails, slugs, worms, salamanders, newts, leeches, and yes, young rodents and birds if they are available.
In captivity it can be tricky to find 'clean'hide parasite and chemical free sources of these prey items. (Frogs, toads, tadpoles and leeches all can carry parasites.)I we each try to do the best we can with the foods available in our area.

Marcianus (checkered garters) love fish, and most will happily eat any meat offered, so scraps of all natural chicken, beef, and whatever else you may be eating may be readily accepted. (Giblets are a real treat for my big boy)

Beware of meat 'enhanced'and with sodium solutions-they can cause severe healthreaction problems forwith reptiles.

infernalis
01-07-2013, 10:01 AM
I haven't got anything yet as I'm still researching. I would feed silversides (have loads of them to feed my dads snow flake eel) and then a mixture of other fish from the safe list. I could also throw in some worms and live feeder fish now and then

If you want to do a fish staple diet, I very highly recomend feeding whole fish of appropriate size, Heads, guts, skeletons and all....

Fish
01-07-2013, 10:14 AM
That's the plan, I just wanted to check they could do well without rodent in their diet. Also am I right in thinking fish fillets require additional calcium supplements where as whole fish require nothing additional?

ProXimuS
01-07-2013, 11:17 AM
If you are going to do fillets, it would be a good idea to supplement every few feedings, since the fillet pieces will only have meat and no bone. Like Infernails said it would be good for the snake to eat entire fish, which contains all the bones, brains, guts, etc.(i.e. smaller fish)

Fish
01-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Yeah my primary source would be entire fish, what would you guys/girls recommend? Can they be kept frozen so I don't have to go and buy it fresh for each feed? and finally how good/not good would silversides be?

Thanks for all the help so far!

ProXimuS
01-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Silversides are what I feed, but my snake that eats them eats those and pinkies, so he is on a slightly varied diet. Not sure how they would do for a fish only diet. I know they are safe and thiaminase free.

Also I did see on another thread you mentioned you are in the U.K. I think I've read that silversides are hard to come by over there....Or I could be totally off:p

-MARWOLAETH-
01-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Silversides are what I feed, but my snake that eats them eats those and pinkies, so he is on a slightly varied diet. Not sure how they would do for a fish only diet. I know they are safe and thiaminase free.

Also I did see on another thread you mentioned you are in the U.K. I think I've read that silversides are hard to come by over there....Or I could be totally off:pOver here,theyr labeled smelt.It took me a few months to work that one out ;]

Fish
01-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Just asked my dad and the ones he feeds the snowflake eel are called lance fish but he said he can also get silvers sides. He gets them from the fish shop (the pet kind)

What other whole fish could I get from somewhere like a supermarket?

Fish
01-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Also are there any species that particular prefer a fish based diet? I remember the checkered garter being mentioned

-MARWOLAETH-
01-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Also are there any species that particular prefer a fish based diet? I remember the checkered garter being mentionedGeneraly the Mexicans,cyrtopsis and ribbons are likely to prefer fish over food items.Thamnophis' website is worth a look, kousebandslangen.nl (click on the species page for diet info of all the species)

Selkielass
01-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Checkered garters love fish, are extremely hearty, come in many pretty colors and are available where you are.
Other species are available, but you should see what is around locally before you get your heart set on something difficult to find.
Garters are like crisps- its very hard to stop with just one.
Try out what is locally available from reputable sources and don't feel too guilty about reaching for 'justa one more...'

Fish
01-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Good point, I'll start with something easy to find and less expensive.

Back to food, I'm guessing its best to feed a variety of fish so apart from silversides/smelt what else do you recommend? I could feed worms now and then too I suppose

-MARWOLAETH-
01-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Good point, I'll start with something easy to find and less expensive.

Back to food, I'm guessing its best to feed a variety of fish so apart from silversides/smelt what else do you recommend? I could feed worms now and then too I supposeYou can usually find whole perch and rainbow trout in fishing shops or on bait websites.

Fish
01-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Awesome thanks for info

Magnarock the 2nd
01-07-2013, 04:22 PM
I have been feeding tilapia chunks from a whole tilapia that I filletd. For some reason my fillet had some bones in it so my garter is getting calcium. I also filletd a 6lb northern pike that I had in my freezer, so my garter will be eating pike from the river.

Fish
01-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Again off topic but if I was going for an Exo Terra setup which is better the 36"x18"x12" or the 36"x18"x18"?

Sorry for all the questions

EDIT: Found my answer http://www.gartersnake.info/care/housing.php#housing-size

I will search before posting from now on :D

-MARWOLAETH-
01-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Garters are hyper little buggers and will use every cm of their terrarium so bigger is better

Fish
01-07-2013, 06:02 PM
But I've realized that I need to locate the exact snake I'm going to buy first as the cage/tank size will depend on the size of snake I get. (weird for me because I usually buy the tank first and then add fish accordingly haha)

Greg'sGarters
01-07-2013, 06:38 PM
I would just say fish fillet and earthworms if you can't do rodents.

infernalis
01-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Oh heck yeah, frozen whole prey is just fine, just thaw and serve slightly cool.