PDA

View Full Version : how much money for everything??

ThamnophisManiac
06-27-2007, 05:31 PM
hi, um, i was just wondering how much money would everything cost??snake (cheapest at stores) cage hide boxes florescent lights thermometers pinkies UCH im always broke =(....btw add anything if i missed it plz

Josh
06-27-2007, 05:35 PM
o jeeze it varys so much couldnt really tell ya but u can go hear.
PETCO: Pet Supplies, Online Pet Supplies, Pet Products & Pet Accessories. (http://www.petco.com)
or
PetSmart - Pet supplies and pet products for healthier, happier pets (http://www.petsmart.com)

adamanteus
06-27-2007, 05:35 PM
That's a hard question to answer Mike...you have so many choices you can make. It could be from a few dollars to a lot of dollars, depending on what you want. It's like asking "How much is a car?"

ThamnophisManiac
06-27-2007, 05:45 PM
i would probably buy the cheapest stuff possible at the pet store. on other posts i heard snakes were as little as $9. also, i already have a tank (not sure of gallon capacity), but i was wondering if u needed 2 tanks (one for the snake while ur cleaning the other one).

Josh
06-27-2007, 05:51 PM
a small bin could take care of that no worrys
here is a site were u can get snakes from $5 on

FaunaClassifieds Ads - Garter, Water & Ribbon Snakes - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds (http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/pp_classifieds/showcat.php?cat=13&page=1)

ThamnophisManiac
06-27-2007, 06:01 PM
hmm...thnx i'll consider it. also, are females or males better (do males have larger tempers than females in general or w/e??)

adamanteus
06-27-2007, 06:03 PM
This is a real generalization...but males can be a little more skittish and nervous. I always find females to be a bit more 'steady'. Others might think differently.

ThamnophisManiac
06-27-2007, 06:22 PM
ok ty lots

Odie
06-27-2007, 06:49 PM
This is a real generalization...but males can be a little more skittish and nervous. I always find females to be a bit more 'steady'. Others might think differently. this seems to describe my 2 boy and girl ;) From scrach 1st setup cost 179.64 $USD 25Gal. and 2nd setup cost 210.17 $USD 15Gal.

Stefan-A
06-27-2007, 10:33 PM
This is a real generalization...but males can be a little more skittish and nervous. I always find females to be a bit more 'steady'. Others might think differently.
I guess there are exceptions. :) I literally have to keep pushing the male away when I keep the door open for more than 10 seconds. It will come right up to you and have a look. After dark, it's different. Then it tends to be very skittish.

The female is a whole different story. :D

Lulu Bennett
06-28-2007, 04:04 AM
just thought id let you know that me and my boyfriend both have spent atleast £400 on tanks and all but i have both a male and female albino checkered so they cost more than just a normal garter. i find my male to be real calm and chilled but my female is very skittish. you are best handeling a few first and take a mentle note of the reaction when the keeper takes it out of its enclosure and wether or not it tries to get away. hope i have helped. xxx

drache
06-28-2007, 06:49 AM
i would probably buy the cheapest stuff possible at the pet store. on other posts i heard snakes were as little as $9. also, i already have a tank (not sure of gallon capacity), but i was wondering if u needed 2 tanks (one for the snake while ur cleaning the other one).

if you already have a tank, your greatest expense will be temp control
you definitely do not need a holding tank for while you clean - a pillowcase or a storage container with some breathing holes drilled in it will do just fine
here is a site that gives standard aquarium sizes in gallons and inch measurements
what you want eventually is at least a 20G long
if your current tank is smaller, I recommend that eventually you go for something the size of a 40 breeder - that gives you a decent amount of space to work with and you could keep up to five garters in a tank that size
hides and climbing stuff you can make and scavenge

stonyloam
06-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Look in your local "swap sheet" or the newspaper. Used aquarium stuff is usually dirt cheap. A flea market is another good place to look. Good luck!

ThamnophisManiac
06-28-2007, 09:23 AM
what would u say the minimum gallon capacity is for 1 male adult common garter?? cause i already have what seems to be a 10 gallon so...

Elliot
06-28-2007, 10:42 AM

I agree, my male snake I have had for over a year is much more skittish than the wc female snake that I've had for just over a week!