PDA

View Full Version : Brumation advice.

-MARWOLAETH-
12-30-2012, 11:32 AM
I plan to brumate gerry in the fridge.
-A few questions I need answering
I found two spots that would be suitable.1st stays at 11*C,2nd stays at 8.4*C .

Which would be best to put her?

How do I cool her down slowly without giving her a shock?

How long should I brumate her for?

How big should the container be? (she's 16cm)
Ta in advance:)

guidofatherof5
12-30-2012, 12:55 PM
11C = 51.8F
8.4C = 47.12F

I would think 11C/51F is probably better as T.marcianus doesn't range in the northern temps.

Spankenstyne
12-31-2012, 03:35 AM
I agree with Steve, the 11c one will be the best option. I have my Marcianus down right now in my brumation fridge set at 52-54f (similar temp as yours). To get them ready I make sure to not feed for 2-3 weeks so they can empty out their digestive system. Then they get a few days of being off the heat in my 70f-ish ambient basement and into an appropriate sized container (with air holes) that I have a couple of inches of shavings, and a water dish. I give mine 2 full months, but I also only brumate my adult breeders. I don't brumate any of the youngsters & smaller sub-adults.

I haven't lost any yet but there's always a risk. I personally wouldn't bother doing it with one so small that's not going to be a breeder next season.

-MARWOLAETH-
12-31-2012, 08:41 AM
I agree with Steve, the 11c one will be the best option. I have my Marcianus down right now in my brumation fridge set at 52-54f (similar temp as yours). To get them ready I make sure to not feed for 2-3 weeks so they can empty out their digestive system. Then they get a few days of being off the heat in my 70f-ish ambient basement and into an appropriate sized container (with air holes) that I have a couple of inches of shavings, and a water dish. I give mine 2 full months, but I also only brumate my adult breeders. I don't brumate any of the youngsters & smaller sub-adults.

I haven't lost any yet but there's always a risk. I personally wouldn't bother doing it with one so small that's not going to be a breeder next season.
The reason I'm planning brumation is because she hasn't eaten properly for 6 weeks and is quite skinny.She is drinking lots so I think shes healthy otherwise.When I noticed the weight loss I switched off the heating in hopes she'd use less energy but she continued to loose weight because the temps weren't low enough.

snake man
12-31-2012, 08:49 AM
If she is skinny and loosing weight a brumation can be hard on her.

-MARWOLAETH-
12-31-2012, 02:55 PM
EDIT:
She's 40cm (not 16cm but 16")

ConcinusMan
12-31-2012, 03:01 PM
My brumation temps are ranging in the 45 F (7.2 C) to 50 F (10 C) range. Perfect. They've been spending most of their time buried in the substrate but come out once in a while when temps are at the high end of the range. I have been keeping a section of the substrate damp and they do seem to prefer hiding in the damp part but after about a week it smells like a dirty moldy sock. Not sure if I like that. If it gets much worse I'll probably replace it.

Greg'sGarters
12-31-2012, 06:59 PM
I would stick with 11C. If she is skinny you may want want to reconsider brumating her. PM me and I can show you a picture of my brumation setup.

CrazyHedgehog
01-01-2013, 05:54 AM
I brought mine out of brumation this week, They have only had about 6 weeks, (although some of the adults stopped eating on their own about 2 weeks to a month well before I started the fasting) I was checking them every other day, I noticed one of the baby San Fransisco was very sluggish, wasn't happy about the way it looked, separated, yet she was dead by the next day :( . they had fresh water etc, but I think I may have had them a little too warm. these were very small and I had to assist feed - so although I knew they were small I thought it would help get them eating! anyway the others are awake, looking feisty and eating! a short break for them, but I need to sort a cooler place for next year!

ConcinusMan
01-01-2013, 06:28 AM
I noticed one of the baby San Fransisco was very sluggish, wasn't happy about the way it looked, separated, yet she was dead by the next day :( . they had fresh water etc, but I think I may have had them a little too warm.

Don't sweat it! You're probably doing "better" than nature could. A little too cold... a little too warm ... too much food.. not enough... What the hell man!

Many people only want "what's natural" for their garter snakes. Well... you got it! What's natural is that the majority of them die before they're old enough to reproduce.

If there's any need to elaborate more..

I mean... if you think such losses are "unnatural" just say the word and I'll show some statistics.:cool:

If we really want what's natural for our captive garter snake than you should expect that around 95% of captive-born garters should be dead by age 18 months. SRYSLY.

There's a very good reason why a female garter that survives 5 or 6 years has so many offspring in that time. Sure, she may give birth to 1,000 offspring in her life. So what? 996 if them might never reach breeding age. It's the other 4 that count.;)

-MARWOLAETH-
01-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Before I brumate her properly I'm thinking of trying UV lights to try and get her to eat again.

Is it likely UV lights will work?

CrazyHedgehog
01-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Don't sweat it! You're probably doing "better" than nature could.
Thanks, that made me feel better!.. expensive loss though!@ £75... but I knew they were a risk at the time

ConcinusMan
01-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Before I brumate her properly I'm thinking of trying UV lights to try and get her to eat again.

Is it likely UV lights will work?

Any bulb that approximates the visible spectrum of natural daylight does seem to have an effect on them. It doesn't necessarily have to have UV output. However, their visible spectrum is shifted to that end of the spectrum. They can see wavelengths that are too short for us to see, and they can't see long wavelengths that we see. In other words, they can't see red light but they can see blue/violet light that is outside of our visible range.

A natural, full spectrum of light that is at least as intense as a cloudy day, seems to increase activity and appetite. I haven't tested this scientifically, it's just something I've observed over the years. They don't require UV but it seems to have a psychological effect on them, much like a sunny day does to us.

You can try that, and make sure the day length is more than 12 hours. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This year it failed miserably for me. Most of my snakes gave me no choice and I had to brumate them.

-MARWOLAETH-
01-02-2013, 05:19 AM
I was thinking or doing a planted setup for my gecko so if it doesn't work he can have it instead.

-MARWOLAETH-
01-16-2013, 09:43 PM
I found a place thats at 14C.Will that be cold enough for brumation?