PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Fish Fillet as food

Timsreptiles
12-23-2012, 04:16 PM
I have been feeding my larger Checkered Garter Snake on frozen/thawed fish fillets from a fish species ( hake) that does not contain thiamisane. Each fish fillet contains skin, bone and flesh. I will supplement the fish fillet with calcium and vitamins. I will add variety by providing fillets from different thiamisane free fish species and the occusional pinky.

What do you guys/gals think?

Buck
12-23-2012, 04:24 PM
I do believe that that is a great diet that has virtually no setbacks :) You may want to occasionally give him a bit of a challenge by allowing live thiaminase free fish, such as guppies, into his water bowl to give him some entertainment in hunting for his prey.

Invisible Snake
12-23-2012, 04:25 PM
This thread is a good read for anyone feeding frozen fish to their garters http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husbandry/9914-note-concerning-pre-packaged-frozen-fish.html

My personal opinion.. I'm not into frozen fish. I prefer to feed f/t pinkies, live guppies for babies, and Canadian nightcrawlers.

Timsreptiles
12-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Had a look at the note will make 100% sure any fish I buy is free of this chemical.

Greg'sGarters
12-23-2012, 05:17 PM
You said he would eat pinkies? If he does, you should feed him more pinkies than fish fillet. I'd say about 1 fish fillet one week and for the next 2 weeks, feed him pinkies. So once every 3 weeks. This is because in the environment that Checkereds are found in, they will eat mice more commonly than fish. Although it is great that you feed him a variety!

Selkielass
12-23-2012, 06:32 PM
My two oldest snakes got fat on a mostly- rodent diet.
I went to rodent once a month, fish and worms the rest, and they are looking and acting much healthier.(more active)
Everyone seems to have their own favorite proportion of different foods.
Mine really do relish their rodent treats though.

d_virginiana
12-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Seems to me like worms are overlooked as an important staple for garters a lot of times. Mine eat mostly nightcrawlers.
The only fish I trust to feed are the pre-packaged frozen silversides you can get from places like Petsmart or Petco. Even if you feed fish of a safe species, you run the risk of contamination from other sources or pollution. Just be aware that feeding a safe species of fish doesn't necessarily mean that the food source is 100% safe all the time. Many people do this with no problem, it's just good to be aware of.

Greg'sGarters
12-23-2012, 07:01 PM
My possibly pregnant eastern eats like a pig. She will eat 4 pinkies, 2 worms, and 3 fish fillets (about as wide as a nickel and as high as a dime) and still beg for more!

snake man
12-23-2012, 09:16 PM
I think it is a pretty good diet. Worms are always nice though :D.

Timsreptiles
12-24-2012, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the advise.
Garter Snakes are rare in the South African pet trade and other than live fish pet shops do not sell whole frozen fish or earthworms. Buying frozen rodents is easy and I can get get worms from my garden ( is totally pesticide free). I can buy fresh fish and freeze them to avoid any chemicals used in freezing. SA offshore fisheries are pretty safe chemical wise as for as I know.

Selkielass
12-24-2012, 06:07 AM
Sounds like a good starter plan.
Don't be afraid to offer bits of other high quality and safe meat as is available locally. I was surprised at how well received minced chicken liver, gizzard and heart were.
One member here kept a culture of little black garden slugs going all winter to keep their picky eater in treats. Another sometimes fed bits ofof venison an other game they were preparing for their own table.
I think the only limits are availability and common sense.

snake man
12-24-2012, 08:07 AM
F/t rodents are always a good food source.

Timsreptiles
12-24-2012, 08:29 AM
I am planning to add f/t pinkies or fuzzies to her diet as well as the fish.

snake man
12-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Sounds like a good diet to me :cool:.

Timsreptiles
12-24-2012, 08:40 AM
I am planning to add f/t pinkies or fuzzies to her diet as well as the fish.

thamneil
12-25-2012, 12:40 AM
I have been using mainly fish and organ meat this winter. Haven't had any problem with this diet. I use salmon or walleye and supplement with calcium. I have also really liked adding chicken liver and heart to my feeding routine. Very inexpensive and full of good nutrients. I believe that with any animal, variety is the key.

I wonder what a South African worm tastes like?

Timsreptiles
12-25-2012, 07:51 AM
Organ meat creeps me out think I will stick with fish fillets and f/t rodents

What do South African Worms taste like?

Never tried one but maybe taste Like the African bush I assume.

ConcinusMan
12-31-2012, 06:10 PM
I wonder what a South African worm tastes like?

Like a worm, I imagine.:rolleyes: