PDA

View Full Version : Separated a tank for my two boys.

i_heart_sneakie_snakes
12-12-2012, 08:57 PM
2 of my 6 adults or males. One Wandering (Lumiere) and one Puget (Little Boy Blue). I have two huge tanks and decided to try and separate one so I can keep both boys in one tank and not have Little Boy Blue get eaten.

Now I am so far away from being handy it is ridiculous!!! So when I got my grand idea, I turned to the internet for a how to. I figured there would be tons of easy ways to do this. I found very little. But one suggestion that I found seemed simple and cheap, just like I like things :) So I did a little measuring and it was off to the hardware store for me. I bought a piece of plexi-glass and had it cut to my measurements. It all seemed too simple and I figured this wouldn't work at all.

I got home and moved my two Valley girls (Flickabee and Salem) who were in the tank into the bigger one with my Eastern girl (Failte). I slipped the plexi-glass piece into the tank and it was a perfect tight fit. Now I know my sneaky little snakes and I figured one of them would have the "weak spot" found right away if there was one. It's been a week now and neither boy has found a way into the others side. I am pretty pleased with myself :) Here they are in the new setup.7668766976707671
And one of my Little Boy Blue eating a guppy the wrong way. He's a goof, but totally adorable!!! 7672

guidofatherof5
12-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Great looking crew.

d_virginiana
12-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Looks great! Cute picture of your little one eating too :)

Is it okay to house a wandering with another snake? I've heard they will cannibalize, but idk if they'd ever try it with a similar-sized snake, or if that's only a risk housing adults/babies or males/females together. I've never worked with wanderings so idk how big a problem that is.

Greg'sGarters
12-23-2012, 06:35 PM
I always try to keep my garters as close to alone as possible. If not, use the biggest tank possible and use fish tank dividers to divide it into smaller sections.

ConcinusMan
12-31-2012, 09:19 PM
Is it okay to house a wandering with another snake? I've heard they will cannibalize, but idk if they'd ever try it with a similar-sized snake, or if that's only a risk housing adults/babies or males/females together. I've never worked with wanderings so idk how big a problem that is.

I think it's not all that common, just note that it has happened. I kept WA wanderings in a tank with northwestern's all summer and they were even a bit more crowded than they should have been. Nobody got eaten. The wanderings were only interested in rodents and amphibians.

thamneil
12-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Solid looking divider! I know of a few instances in which wanderings have been collectively housed without issues. Wanderings are often found together in the wild as well which leads me to believe that they are more opportunistic than cannibalistic. Can't hurt to be cautious though!

ConcinusMan
12-31-2012, 11:36 PM
I don't have any evidence, but I tend to believe that such incidents were caused by social stress in captivity, rather than a feeding response. Some snakes get along just fine with others, some stress out. I've seen it time and time again. Sometimes, I have to do some shuffling of the communal housing arrangements. It's important to learn how to spot social stress. If it goes on too long, things like cannabalism or physical health problems can arise just from mental / social stress among your snakes. Some snakes just don't get along with others and prefer to be alone. It's no different than say... people locked up in prison. Some just shouldn't be housed together. It's not because they can't get along with other people (or snakes) it's that they don't get along with the particular people (or snakes) they've been housed with.

If you don't spend any time watching them when they don't know you're watching, social stress can be hard to spot. Next thing you know, a snake is eating another snake. But I honestly believe it has nothing to do with being hungry.