PDA

View Full Version : putting together?

jompiej
06-26-2007, 08:09 AM
hi,

i have 1.2 thamnophis marcianus, 1 female is pregnant(??)
but the other female was to young to breed this year.
can i put the female who was to young this year in the same enclosure as the man, or wil they breed at this time of year???

jerom.

i dont know if i spelled everything right:p....

Josh
06-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Breeding garters is fairly easy. They need to be taken off feed 2-3 weeks before

hibernation to clean out their digestive tract. Any food left can ferment and kill

the snake. The snakes are then placed in a cool area with the temperature around

50-55 degrees for about 3 months. They need water while in hibernation. They will

be somewhat active during this time. I have seen mine moving about their cages

fairly regularly. After the hibernation period, start warming them up, put them

together and they should breed

This is from don (ssssnakelover)s website

jompiej
06-26-2007, 10:11 AM
the have already bred, but the other female was to young so she couldn't breed this year.
but can I put the female who is to young n the same enclosure as te man.

Josh
06-26-2007, 10:15 AM
im not sure im not the breeder type yet thats alll i knew sorry

jompiej
06-26-2007, 11:52 AM
ok, thanks anyway

adamanteus
06-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Jerom, I have found in the past that some Garters, T. marcianus in particular, will breed at any time of the year. They have been known to produce multiple litters of young in a year. I have bred Checkereds many times without brumating them first. So to answer your question....Yes, if you put them together they will very probably breed.

jompiej
06-26-2007, 12:29 PM
ok, i'l put them toogether whem teh female is big enough

thank you!:D

Snaky
06-27-2007, 01:55 AM
I've already given you my advice on the Dutch forum, but will repeat it here ;).

In my opinion, they can mate. But it the female is too young, she won't produce anything. So your problem take's care of itself in my opinion.

I always have pairs together from when they are young. Never had any problems with it. Although I've seen mating at 1,5y, the female only produced a litter when she was 3.

jompiej
06-27-2007, 04:04 AM
ok, thats what i that at first ;)