PDA

View Full Version : Are there benefits of using UV light

-MARWOLAETH-
11-24-2012, 01:08 PM
With the setup I'm planning I'm going to use a combination of UV and day-light simulating flourescent tubes to light and heat the viv,with a rock wall to allow the snake(s) to get close to the lights and bask.I was wondering -Has anyone has observed any changes in activity,growth or colour when using UV light with garter snakes?

snake man
11-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Uv is not necessary but should not effect your snakes in any negative way.

Stefan-A
11-24-2012, 01:26 PM
The effect of UVB on snakes is largely unknown, but it seems that it's not as necessary for them, as it is for other reptiles. I have a study somewhere that would indicate that it might benefit snakes to some degree, but I can't be bothered to look for it.

-MARWOLAETH-
11-24-2012, 01:29 PM
I'll stick it in anyway if not for the animal but for the plants.:p

guidofatherof5
11-24-2012, 01:35 PM
No UV for albinos though.

-MARWOLAETH-
11-24-2012, 01:40 PM
I don't like albinos so that's not an issue:D

ConcinusMan
11-24-2012, 02:48 PM
A 2.0 bulb or one indicated for tropical species shouldn't hurt anything. Keep in mind the snakes don't actually get any exposure beyond 12 inches from the bulb. I think they do have a positive psychological effect on the snakes (appetite and increased activity) but a well-balanced "natural" spectrum florescent without UV would probably have the same effect and cost significantly less. As with any UV bulb, always provide shade/hiding places for them to get away from exposure.

-MARWOLAETH-
11-24-2012, 05:55 PM
I nicked the idea of this thread Naturalistic Snake Enclosures With Fake Walls - A How To Guide (Pic Heavy) - Reptile Forums (http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/878380-naturalistic-snake-enclosures-fake-walls.html). Basically he found that in his wooden vivs,within a couple of inches of the tubes stays around 30C.He says it worked well with his marcianus and other temperate species.The background gives the animal a choice of temperatures and also lets the animal use more of the vivs space it also makes it look very nice:rolleyes:

ConcinusMan
11-24-2012, 06:53 PM
I think it would much better to put ecoearth/reptibark mixture in there instead of that crap they got going. I also see a potential for injury.

-MARWOLAETH-
11-25-2012, 07:56 AM
I'll probably have to guard the tubes because marcianus are quite heavy bodied compared to those Psammophis.

Will plants root into the eco earth stuff?

Selkielass
11-25-2012, 08:56 AM
I have a mix of economic earth, potting soil and compost in my naturalistic habitat, and the freckle plant in a po sunk into the substrate has sent roots out of the pot and across the back of the viv- you can see them thru the glass where the soil doesn't get turned much during cleaning. Grass and ground ivy died- I don't think they got enough light.

Foxrun402
11-25-2012, 05:21 PM
I recently added a Zilla T8 Florescent strip light rated "Tropical" that is 25 uvb... at 12" away she maybe gets 5-7 uvb off the light... It has been said to not be needed for garters or snakes... but in all reptiles it is supposed to help metabolize food and aid in calcium absorption from the food they do eat... I can't tell you if this is correct for snakes.. but it is for most reptiles...

Anyways... Since I added the T8 25 uvb strip... she has been alot more curious then normal... and a lot more active! I believe for some reason that it may be helping to stimulate a more natural environment making her a little more comfy... Other then that I haven't noticed any problems thus far...