PDA

View Full Version : Shipping and temps

EasternGirl
11-19-2012, 03:32 PM
I have two eastern yearlings that I am going to ship to a member in Virginia Beach. My concern is the weird temps right now. Virginia is pretty close to Delaware...the temps are about the same most of the time. But the weather here has been so odd...70 one day, 45 the next. I need to figure out if I should put a heat pack in with the snakes to ship. Feedback?

guidofatherof5
11-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Overnight shipping with temps in the 40's I'd do nothing but ship. No heat packs.
Probably 10-14 hours in the shipping system(guessing) Morning delivery temps. will probably be on the rise.
Just my opinion.

Eddie
11-19-2012, 07:06 PM
You can go ahead and ship. You should not have any temp probs in that area this time of year.
Just my opinion.
Ed

EasternGirl
11-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks! I know I talked to Steve about this already. Just wanted to get some more opinions. I am going to look at the packaging materials I got and make sure I know how to pack them properly. Then I will check temps here and in Virginia before I ship.

Robyn@TRR
11-29-2012, 02:48 PM
We suggest making two small holes on two sides of the box. I typically use a philips screwdriver and make 1/4" holes. The heat pack uses oxygen to create the heat.

And yes I would use a heat pack. In these temps, the heat pack is not going to make the box HOT, it is going to keep it temperate. The box interior temp probably won't exceed 65F with the heat pack in it, but it will get much colder without it. We have done lots of tests and experiments with winter shipping and heat packs, they work very well.

You can use packing peanuts, but crumpled newspaper works very well, it is easily accessible, and it doesn't get everywhere when unpacking the box. Newspaper also absorbs liquids in case the animal "liquids" up the box : )

BUSHSNAKE
11-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Nobody ive known has ever used a heat pack. National or international. Only cold packs. Theyre not ball pythons

ConcinusMan
11-29-2012, 05:37 PM
I gotta agree. The garter could make the entire trip with a 40 degree body temperature and be just fine. I wouldn't worry about the heat pack at all. Just don't ship if the destination is below freezing and it's going to be riding on a truck for hours. I think it's actually better if the garter is cold. Keeps them from struggling and stressing out.

twgrosmick
11-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Nobody ive known has ever used a heat pack. National or international. Only cold packs. Theyre not ball pythons

I just sent to Alaska where temps were I believe 15 degrees and I used a heat pack lol. The package arrived safely and the animals came out up the tubs active and alert. For the most part I never use heat packs for garters but below freezing they are a must.

Greg'sGarters
11-29-2012, 07:15 PM
If the temps are below 40 degrees, I'd put styrofoam insulation in, if the temps are below 15 degrees, I'd add a heat pack.

guidofatherof5
11-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Styrofoam insulation is required by all the shippers no matter what the temp. ;)
It not just controls temps but also strengthens the box.

twgrosmick
11-29-2012, 08:03 PM
If the temps are below 40 degrees, I'd put styrofoam insulation in, if the temps are below 15 degrees, I'd add a heat pack.

Temps below freezing you have to heat pack. Insulation is required like Steve said because it strengthens the box... Not sure if you have ever shipped before but it isn't just as simple as tossing them in a box. Look at the Shipping Discussion thread. Should help you understand a little more just how many requirements there are.

BUSHSNAKE
11-30-2012, 06:47 AM
I just sent to Alaska where temps were I believe 15 degrees and I used a heat pack lol. The package arrived safely and the animals came out up the tubs active and alert. For the most part I never use heat packs for garters but below freezing they are a must.

Oh really young grasshopper...thatll probably be your first and last time you use a heat pack:p

twgrosmick
11-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Oh really young grasshopper...thatll probably be your first and last time you use a heat pack:p

haha for garters yes.... the geckos still need them most of the time... actually I am shipping to NJ on monday and temps may require a heat pack...