PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good mouse ratio

-MARWOLAETH-
11-18-2012, 06:26 AM
I currently feed my little one 70% trout/worm and 30% pinkies.Is that ok?
What ratio of mouse does everyone feed?

Stefan-A
11-18-2012, 07:06 AM
Everyone and his grandma has an opinion on what a good ratio is. I've had snakes on ratios varying between 10% and 90% and so far I've only seen differences in they type of feces they produce. I'd love to see a properly conducted study on the matter, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

To answer the first question: I wouldn't expect any problems with that 70/30 diet.

Selkielass
11-18-2012, 07:08 AM
About once a month for adults.
one feeding in 4 for little ones eating several times a week.

twgrosmick
11-18-2012, 10:23 AM
I do close to a 90% rodent diet with the other 10% consisting of worms, tilapia, and the occasional guppy. It has worked well for me and I see great growth and healthy looking snakes

d_virginiana
11-18-2012, 01:03 PM
I like my main whole-food protein to be fish, but I try to give them a mice every two weeks or so. I usually do their big meal once a week, where I give them either mice or fish, then some worms as snacks in between. Your ratio sounds fine.

-MARWOLAETH-
11-19-2012, 01:47 PM
I was told that a high rodent diet can lead to abnormal fat deposits.Could it be the individual more than the diet?

I'd love to conduct a study on the subject when I go to University.

EasternGirl
11-19-2012, 03:36 PM
I think that would be a great study too. I really go back and forth...depending on what is most available to me and what I can afford...but I always try to mix it up with alternating feeds between mice, fish, and worms. Right now I would say that my snakes get worms more that anything...and then an equal alternation of pinks and fish. I might feed worms for three feedings and then feed pinkies and then fish and then worms again. I did two feedings in a row of pinkies recently because it was just easier to do with my time constraints. I think your diet sounds fine though.

thamneil
11-19-2012, 05:02 PM
I would say that I use mice half of the time, fish or worms the other half. Variety is key!

guidofatherof5
11-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Worms 60%
Mice 20%
Tilapia 20%

When I have more money for mice it changes.
Worms 40%
Mice 40%
Tilapia 20%

ConcinusMan
11-23-2012, 12:55 PM
To answer the first question: I wouldn't expect any problems with that 70/30 diet.

I agree. Sounds fine. But I also wouldn't expect any issues with 100% rodents, or mostly rodents and small percentage of fish/worms.

And I've kept northwesterns for years on nothing but worms/slugs and they do just fine.