PDA

View Full Version : species specific care anyone?

Artic Exotics
11-16-2012, 05:49 PM
I apologize if there is already this somewhere in articles and I just cant find it. I did find the wiki discussions links but it didnt really seem like thats what that was for so I was wondering if there are such a thing here. I saw the general caresheet but it wasnt exactly specific. Is there anything I should know and plan ahead for when keeping t.species that are not T.ordinoides?

Ive been keeping T.ordinoides since I was practically a toddler. I tried my hand at breeding for the first time last year, but got my first sucessful breeding done this year. Anyway im branching out to other T.species (radix, checkered, and easterns) and im a little nervous that they may have different care requirements. Most of my knowledge with captive ordinoides was done over a period of years growing up with wild caught snakes and mostly by trial and -sadly- error.. Took me a while to figure out Nw's simply cant resist baby tadpoles or worms for that matter. I figure there must be similar type "tricks" with other species... And id really like to avoid the "error" straight off the gate with the new types.

I guess what i really would like to know is are they essentially kept the same way as I do with the northwesterns? or do they have different preferences for food, different housing needs, etc?

I suppose it would be helpful to put a pic up of my setup for my northwesterns too eh? ( I will do that shortly)...

So you guys who keep multiple species.. you are up! any insider knowledge would be most helpful...

guidofatherof5
11-16-2012, 06:18 PM
I keep my Northwestern (T.ordinoides)garter exactly like my other Thamnophis.
They thermoregulate just like any other species I keep. They seem to operate at a higher metabolism and eat more though.

paulh
11-16-2012, 08:46 PM
I've never tried keeping T. ordinoides so am not up on their requirements.

Eastern and checkered garters are subspecies of T. sirtalis. I've kept the local red sided garters, another subspecies of T. sirtalis. All three probably have similar requirements. And I've kept the local T. radix. They have the same requirements as the red sided garters. Its just that the red sided are more likely to be found in woods and brushy areas, while the radix prefer more grassy prairie areas.

T. radix love worms and tadpoles. Any doubt I had about the worms was ended when I caught a radix, and she barfed a stomachfull of worms down my leg. :)

Good luck.

Artic Exotics
11-16-2012, 09:12 PM
I keep my Northwestern (T.ordinoides)garter exactly like my other Thamnophis. They seem to operate at a higher metabolism and eat more though.

Well thats a relief... The new types might be a little easier then... I second that the ordinoides really do eat A LOT. I feed mine every second day and thats just to keep them at a decent body weight (no skin folds up the sides). They also poop alot too lol.

guidofatherof5
11-16-2012, 10:17 PM
With that shipment of worms you just got in they should be some happy snakes. You are right about the pooping thing. Little machines.

ProXimuS
11-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Eastern and checkered garters are subspecies of T. sirtalis.

I'm pretty sure Checkered garters are their own species/subspecies, Thamnophis marcianus.

I've got a Gulf Coast Ribbon and a Red Sided garter. I keep them in the same type of conditions, just one is in a smaller cage sicne she's smaller. As far as food, my ribbon only likes to eat out of his water bowl. He would probably eventually eat off of a plate if I only offered it that way....But I just do what he likes:) He mostly likes fish and had to use fish to scent any new foods. He's also a little skittish. My Red Sided is a pig! Never leaves any food:p She's not skittish like the ribbon snake. When I put my finger up to the glass she comes right up to it and will follow my finger around. She does still get a little nervous when I open her cage and have to come in from the top.

guidofatherof5
11-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Tadpoles can carry a parasite load so keep that in mind.
Probably better to switch to a less risky food source.

-MARWOLAETH-
11-17-2012, 04:14 AM
From what I've heard the main variables are preference to water and diet.

Light of Dae
11-17-2012, 09:31 AM
I've got some mexican garters that love water and a higher humidity. But even still they are all kept pretty well the same.

paulh
11-17-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm pretty sure Checkered garters are their own species/subspecies, Thamnophis marcianus.
Right. Thanks for catching that. For some reason I read checkered and thought red spotted. :(

Artic Exotics
11-17-2012, 09:46 PM
With that shipment of worms you just got in they should be some happy snakes. oh they are! happy as a polar bear in a seal den... and just as voracious ;-) I was even able to get my male to eat a bit more and plan to hibernate late this year so I can get to a hearty post baby weight on all the adults. Now that ive got my winter feed set this is looking to be my best year yet for NW's. :-D

Im hoping to get a strong feel for the radix and easterns this year and try my hand at their breeding the year following. Its a new flavor for me since ive always stuck to ordinoides and pickeringii (with the exception of a pair of similis that I was sold accidentally as pickeringii and resold shortly thereafter)....

Selkielass
11-18-2012, 07:56 AM
My experience is limited, but I have found the smaller species (T. Butlerii and brachiostoma) to have a faster metabolism than the bigger types, and to be somewhat more vulnerable to low humidity and shed problems.

You should find the bigger species a breeze. Same care as the little guys, but they are even tougher and more resilient to less than ideal conditions- I think this is why the larger species have wider distribution
The little guys can out reproduce/compete them when conditions are just right, but outside these moist microsystems the bigger species toughness becomes an advantage.