PDA

View Full Version : appetite stimulants

snakeman
06-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Anybody know of any appetite stimulants that are safe for garters?My flame is being a pain as usual.She only eats just enough to survive.She will eat 3 weeks then not eat for a month.She is very thin.This has been going on for about three years.

adamanteus
06-24-2007, 08:37 AM
I have always found that Garters can't resist frogs. I know that many people are concerned about using frogs as food for their Garters because of the high risk of introducing parasites. However, you could use a frog to scent some pinkies...it's worth a try.

Gijs & Sabine
06-24-2007, 08:48 AM
I don't know what you've been using already. But I've good experience with eartworms or living fish, at least something that moves.
If your flame is just by herself in an enclosure you could also try to keep her together with other garters (1 or more) When she see another garter eat it may stimulate her as well.

KITKAT
06-24-2007, 09:19 AM
I have always found that Garters can't resist frogs. I know that many people are concerned about using frogs as food for their Garters because of the high risk of introducing parasites. However, you could use a frog to scent some pinkies...it's worth a try.

I feed bullfrog tadpoles on occasion, but they are frozen and thawed. I've not had any more trouble with parasites from this practice than usual. However, I do freeze them for 30 days... and they ARE great for scenting when thawed, too.

reptileparadise
06-24-2007, 12:42 PM
I dont know how the effect on thamnophis ssp will be, but I know people who use electrolytes with python regius and pantherophis gutattus.
Most of them start to eat within a week and keep eating for months!

drache
06-24-2007, 02:47 PM
my vet has so far always given flagyl
right now I'm having trouble with my runty Xenochrophis again and today was the last resort: live minnows - nothing
how do they administer electrolytes? like a med?
I've also wondered about probiotics.
I've seen one designed for reptiles
if it helps their gut, wouldn't that help their appetite?

poissonguppy
06-24-2007, 06:01 PM
drache,

I've dealt with orphaned baby rabbits. When they first come in, electrolytes are given to them in an injection, which I'm guessing is like a med. Even though rabbits are not really snakes I think they would give it the same way. It would be less stressful anyway.

Probiotics contain bacteria that help animals digest their food, not eat it. I don't think it'll help the appetite, but that's only from my experience... Correct me if I'm wrong...

Elliot
06-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Exo Terra - Products: Electrodize (http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/electrodize.php)

I've used that before, I didn't have any problems with it but I probably didn't really need it so I can't tell you how well it worked.

KITKAT
06-24-2007, 07:25 PM
If your snake is drinking, electrolytes can be mixed in the water, or you can give them Pedialyte... that is all Pedialyte is... electrolytes for human babies. Find it in the grocery, in the baby aisle.;)

drache
06-24-2007, 08:25 PM
does anyone know how electrolytes function as appetite stimulants?
I always thought this was something primarily given for dehydration.

poissonguppy
06-25-2007, 10:20 AM
does anyone know how electrolytes function as appetite stimulants?
I always thought this was something primarily given for dehydration.

I think that they are given primarily for dehydration... But I'm guessing if the snake is well hydrated it would be more apt to feed.

Elliot
06-25-2007, 10:35 AM
I think that they are given primarily for dehydration... But I'm guessing if the snake is well hydrated it would be more apt to feed.

Also, they reduce stress which would make it even more apt to feed.