PDA

View Full Version : Canadian order for 2013?

Rober10169
11-09-2012, 12:12 PM
I was curious if anyone was interested in doing another order in 2013 kinda like the one we did in 2012? I would be interested in getting a couple infernalis and similis from the US if another order was placed.

thamneil
11-09-2012, 12:31 PM
As far as I know, another order is in the works for the summer. Light of Dae as well as myself are certainly in.

Light of Dae
11-09-2012, 01:24 PM
You betcha there will be another order next year!

Rober10169
11-09-2012, 01:51 PM
From Scott again? I am in for a couple.

Light of Dae
11-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Yup, from Scott, possible from Jason Condro as well. We'll see how it works out and if he's got anything I'd want. Last time he offered some up that he would've sent to Scott to be included in the Canadian order. But it was to late for me and he didn't have anything left that really interested me. We will have to wait n see.

I just may send him a message asking what his breeding plans are for the up n coming season, so we can get an idea.

thamneil
11-09-2012, 02:58 PM
It would be cool if we could involve Jeff and Don this time round.

Invisible Snake
11-09-2012, 03:44 PM
It would be great if us Americans can get some of those awesome flames you guys have there :p

thamneil
11-09-2012, 04:19 PM
From us?! Good luck finding flames here. Dr. Blais has all but vanished from the garter scene.

Invisible Snake
11-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Charles has some great flames, plus it's new blood for genetic diversity in American collections :)

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/7147-female-flame.html

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/6895-futur-project-2011-a.html

thamneil
11-09-2012, 04:56 PM
That is true. I have a pair from his stock and if new blood is the intention, there is no better way. I was meaning that American flames have had more selective breeding behind them and can be found with much higher amounts of red.

Light of Dae
11-09-2012, 07:17 PM
I have two females from Charles as well. Hoping to get a male from him this next year. :)

Mind you I think I'd like to breed them with my Flame/Ery het mel/snow and see what I get lol.

thamneil
11-09-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm hoping to have an American line flame by then. Want to bring up the amount of red. Might breed one to my Carteret County erythristic as well.

jscott67
12-22-2012, 09:52 PM
I certainly hope this is an option in 2013.

Light of Dae
12-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Sure is. I organized the big order this last year and am fully planning to do it again for 2013's baby season. I'll have a thread up here when it starts and I'll do what I did before too and put up ads across Canadian sites. The more people that join in the order the cheaper shipping is for everyone. :)

Greg'sGarters
12-23-2012, 03:37 PM
I came up with an idea. Maybe, if someone lived close to the US/Canada border, and someone from Canada wanted to order from the US, the Canadian could send a payment to the American via PayPal, and then the American could ship it to the American near the border, and that American could drive over the border and send it to the Canadian while they were in Canada. Does anyone think that this is a good idea?

kimbosaur
12-23-2012, 04:55 PM
There are permits and inspection fees involved in doing that. I remember it costing nearly the same and it's much more complicated and time consuming! It just seems better to get the pros to deal with all that business. :)

Greg'sGarters
12-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Oh, they won't just let you take a snake across the border huh? Back to the whiteboard.

Invisible Snake
12-23-2012, 05:05 PM
No Fair! If you guys are getting some of our garters we should get a few of yours! I want a pair of melanistic ordinoides :p

Greg'sGarters
12-23-2012, 05:12 PM
No Fair! If you guys are getting some of our garters we should get a few of yours! I want a pair of melanistic ordinoides :p

My post was so that you guys could get some of our garters! lol

ConcinusMan
12-28-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm already "involved". Seems that my concinnus' are finding their way to Canada in these shipments. Or at least they did this year, through one of you guys. Whoever is ending up with them up there, hold on to 'em in pairs. I'm willing to bet many will turn blue and if they aren't scattered around singly, you could be breeding blue concinnus' up there in a few years.

scott5017
12-28-2012, 06:11 PM
I would love to get my hands on some normal / blue concinnus, i'm in!

Philminator
12-28-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm Canadian! I been wanting / talking to Scott on and off a few times and last I recall it was complicated as hell to get USA Garters up to Canada....is it true? dumb question but why do people pitch in together? is it because crossing the border is so expensive so it's just to split the cost? sorry I'm half asleep and feel out of the loop, I'm near Gatineau / Ottawa so say I order something from Scott on the deal and someone else from way the hell out in Vancouver wants something...how does it work? I split shipping to bring it to Canada and then pay another shipping from Vancouver to Ottawa? or would it come here because it's closer? sorry if I'm making this out to be more complicated than it needs to be.

ConcinusMan
12-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Typically someone arranges a single lump export into Canada through a licensed U.S. exporter. It's not cost effective unless you're going to be exporting a large group at once or very valuable snakes. So, people can arrange to ship a multitude of garters to the exporter who will then get them into Canada. If those snakes belong to multiple people, they can split the cost of the export shipment. That is how garters are getting into Canada. It's not complicated at all for a licensed exporter but for an individual to import a few garters, it's impractical, expensive, and a big hassle. The exporter takes care of all that so it's not so hard.

Philminator
12-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Typically someone arranges a single lump export into Canada through a licensed U.S. exporter. It's not cost effective unless you're going to be exporting a large group at once or very valuable snakes. So, people can arrange to ship a multitude of garters to the exporter who will then get them into Canada. If those snakes belong to multiple people, they can split the cost of the export shipment. That is how garters are getting into Canada. It's not complicated at all for a licensed exporter but for an individual to import a few garters, it's impractical, expensive, and a big hassle. The exporter takes care of all that so it's not so hard.
thanks for the reply, this is for summer 2013? I'm in for sure as long as there's at least a few things I want, which I'm sure there will be

HazAnga
12-28-2012, 09:40 PM
I think maybe if I'm able and I have a spot for them I may be interested in a pair or trio of something if I see something I like.
I'll keep my eye out for whatever thread I need too.

ConcinusMan
12-28-2012, 09:55 PM
thanks for the reply, this is for summer 2013?

I assume so. I don't know.

HazAnga
12-28-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm adding this in, i'm definitely in for getting a pair or trio of Florida blue striped and or a pair of red sideds from Scott. If ya'll are doing a big import then it's worth me adding something to the list. I should be good for money by then, i hope.

thamneil
12-29-2012, 01:49 AM
Not hard at all to get garters into the country. They are non cites and can be driven across my border crossing without an inspection. Just today I brought in 3 pairs. No hassle at all.

Light of Dae
12-29-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm Canadian! ..... so say I order something from Scott on the deal and someone else from way the hell out in Vancouver wants something...how does it work? I split shipping to bring it to Canada and then pay another shipping from Vancouver to Ottawa? or would it come here because it's closer? sorry if I'm making this out to be more complicated than it needs to be.

Canadians kick a$$!

When we did the order last year from Scott it was very painless. The order crossed the border and went to Toronto(?) Reptile Express's main office then was broken up into individual orders from there n shipped out. The order was only bunched up together for the crossing.

HazAnga
12-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Canadians kick a$$!

When we did the order last year from Scott it was very painless. The order crossed the border and went to Toronto(?) Reptile Express's main office then was broken up into individual orders from there n shipped out. The order was only bunched up together for the crossing.

Darn right we do. How much is it extra to have to sent to different addresses, was it $50 per location?
I'm close enough to Toronto that I'd probably go collect what i order (if i was to order something) myself, it'd be cheaper for me with my car.

ConcinusMan
12-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Not hard at all to get garters into the country. They are non cites and can be driven across my border crossing without an inspection. Just today I brought in 3 pairs. No hassle at all.

Yes we know that but driving them across is not the same as shipping them.

kimbosaur
12-29-2012, 05:48 PM
That's not true. On the Canadian end, you don't need anything other than the a receipt to pay the taxes to import, but you need an inspection from the USFWS to legally export them from the States. The inspection needs to be booked 48 hours in advance and you need to fill out a 3-177 form. Also, you technically need an import/export license but they seem to let you get away with it if you're only bringing in a few "pets". Not to mention, you also need an Exemption to Designated Port Permit if you're not driving through a designated port. They seem to also let people get away with this though. I researched extensively last summer as I was really hoping to bring some snakes home.

You can easily just drive them over, but it's not exactly legal and I'd hate to be caught in a situation where any animals' lives are compromised.

Edit: Just thought I'd also add that when you use Reptile Express to import, you're basically paying them to use their permits.

ConcinusMan
12-29-2012, 06:58 PM
That's not true.

Yes, it is. My point being if you're going to ship them across, you're going to need to do it legally with all the paperwork and bullspit but if you're just going to drive them over they'll get there without it. Yes, I know that would be illegal, just saying.

...but you need an inspection from the USFWS to legally export them from the States. The inspection needs to be booked 48 hours in advance and you need to fill out a 3-177 form. Also, you technically need an import/export license but they seem to let you get away with it if you're only bringing in a few "pets". Not to mention, you also need an Exemption to Designated Port Permit if you're not driving through a designated port.

Oh, is that all? :rolleyes: Yeah, this is why people just use an exporter if they're going to ship them into Canada.

thamneil
12-30-2012, 02:18 AM
Yes we know that but driving them across is not the same as shipping them.

I understand that. Many Canadians live close to the border and it can sometimes be easier to do things this way.

i never thought of American laws regarding export. I had called Canadian customs and was told that I was doing everything legally. The animals were declared at the border. The officer asked if they were native and if they were cites. Other than that, there was no hold up.

kimbosaur
12-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Yea it seems that the Canadian side is pretty lenient about it. I'd just hate to be the one that runs into that guard who insists otherwise.

dieselbaby
01-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Hey ya'll, sorry i been away forever.. I missed out on last years thanks to me being stupid and by the time i got my sh** together the babies i wanted were sold out. I would love to get in on this order and get my Puget's this year..

Kantar
01-02-2013, 04:42 PM
let me know before you order, I may get in on this too

thamneil
01-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Mathew, I'll be doing an order before this big group one. If you're interested you can definitely get in on mine.

dsmdavid22
01-08-2013, 09:43 PM
:)Hello there,all my fellow Canadians.First I'd like to wish you a Happy NY and all the Best in 2013.My name is David and I live in TORONTO.

I would be very,very interested in getting in on one or both of these Orders you guys are talking about , IF POSSIBLE ? ?

I'm a little green whenit comes to pm's and social networking. No problem reading,for the most part I just observe. Hope to hear from you soon.Thank You, Sincerely,David McKibbin

thamneil
01-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Hey David! Nice to have you here! This big group order won't be happening until the summer. Keep your eyes peeled as it warms up and there is not a chance of you missing out! One of us will track you down if you are having communication issues.

ConcinusMan
01-09-2013, 05:21 AM
I just got word on facebook that more of my babies are showing up in Canada again. This time through a different exporter. I didn't actually sell to the companies that are importing them into Canada. They're getting them from whomever I did sell them to. All I did was sell a few groups wholesale to people right here in the U.S. and one of the groups was shipped to a pet supply co. I had no idea they would be ending up in Canada. Ooops. You're welcome.

kimbosaur
02-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Has anybody placed an order yet?

thamneil
02-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Haven't ordered yet, but should be reserving a pair of infernalis. Not sure if I'll order them with the group or independently. There is definitely interest for the group order though!

kimbosaur
02-06-2013, 03:37 PM
For the group order last year, did each person have to pay their own shipping (from Scott to Reptile Express) or was that cost split between the buyers? It doesn't seem like Scott will be organizing the group order this year because when I messaged him, he told me to deal with Reptile Express directly and they quoted me $250 for import costs. I'm thinking we'll have to organize it ourselves on here?

thamneil
02-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Ye order was not something organized by Scott. Our member Light of Dae organized it. Reptile express was having a sale on imports at the time. If I remember correctly, it was one lump sum to have the snakes shipped to reptile express in Ontario, and then individual shipping to each person from there. The shipping from Scott to RE was split among the people ordering.

kimbosaur
02-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Oh sweet!! I was under the impression that she started it but then Scott kind of took it over. Didn't he end up covering the import cost or am I imagining things? Reptile Express has the same sale still. On the site it says it's ongoing so hopefully it'll still be that price when summer comes.

thamneil
02-06-2013, 04:56 PM
I am under the impression that we all covered the import cost. Could be wrong though!

kimbosaur
02-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Haha, oh well. Maybe I'm imagining things. Really hope to get something this year!

thamneil
02-06-2013, 05:09 PM
There will be one this year for sure. Scott's got a lot of cool stuff. Can't wait to get my infernalis in. You should consider pre-ordering. I believe there is a decent discount for those that do.

kimbosaur
02-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Yes, I was considering pre-ordering. Just wanted to get an idea of what the final costs would come up to before I put any money down.

Spankenstyne
02-06-2013, 06:31 PM
That's not true. On the Canadian end, you don't need anything other than the a receipt to pay the taxes to import, but you need an inspection from the USFWS to legally export them from the States. The inspection needs to be booked 48 hours in advance and you need to fill out a 3-177 form. Also, you technically need an import/export license but they seem to let you get away with it if you're only bringing in a few "pets". Not to mention, you also need an Exemption to Designated Port Permit if you're not driving through a designated port. They seem to also let people get away with this though. I researched extensively last summer as I was really hoping to bring some snakes home.

You can easily just drive them over, but it's not exactly legal and I'd hate to be caught in a situation where any animals' lives are compromised.

Edit: Just thought I'd also add that when you use Reptile Express to import, you're basically paying them to use their permits.

This is important info & not something to take lightly. You may get away without getting asked for the inspections and 3-177 form at times but it is definitely necessary. I had a friend get caught without and he ended up convicted of attempted smuggling contrary to the customs act, and fined $1000. All for being lazy with non-CITES legal snakes on an impulse buy at a show that he didn't want to wait on the inspection for & figured he could get away without the 3-177 as they hadn't asked for it from him for some time.

jscott67
02-07-2013, 09:46 AM
There will be one this year for sure. Scott's got a lot of cool stuff. Can't wait to get my infernalis in. You should consider pre-ordering. I believe there is a decent discount for those that do.

Which breeder, or website is Scott's?

chris-uk
02-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Which breeder, or website is Scott's?

Scott Felzer's Garter Snakes, specializing in aberrant garters (http://www.albinogartersnake.com/index.html)

jscott67
02-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Thanks! Time to start saving up.

kimbosaur
02-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Word

ConcinusMan
02-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Thanks! Time to start saving up.

Actually, if you're planning on buying from scott, the time to pay (or at least reserve) is now or there won't be anything good left.(even though they aren't even born yet:rolleyes:) At least that's how it goes most years. The "good stuff" is usually gone if you don't get in with a prepaid order now. Just thought I'd warn you.

"

We are now accepting prepaid reservations through April 30th, 2013. Payments maybe made in one or multiple payments,

just as long as they are paid in full by April 30th. Starting May 1st, 2013 will begin taking reservations with no up front

monies on a no obligation basis. This means we will take your name, what you are interested in and will contact

you when the babies are born. Prepaid orders will be prioritized over non prepaid reservations. The babies

are expected to be born in May/June 2012. If there's a ?, this means that the price will be determined at birth."

Read here: http://www.albinogartersnake.com/available.html

scott5017
02-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Anyone from edmonton placing an order? Probably a long shot but if we can combine an order maybe reduce costs let me know, looking to add a few more snakes.

Rober10169
02-13-2013, 08:35 AM
Hello scott5017, I am from the Edmonton area and might be ordering a couple again this year. What garters do you have now?

kimbosaur
02-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Reptile Express charges $50 for each "additional destination". Does this fee apply to those who are going to be doing a pick-up from their Toronto location? If so, we GTA-ers should try to go pick them up at the same time so they don't charge each of us separately.

ConcinusMan
02-13-2013, 04:09 PM
seems to me that anyone who can't get there to pickup and needs to have another delivery address added should eat the $50 cost, not share it with others.

kimbosaur
02-13-2013, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I was just wondering if they'd charge the $50 for separate pick-ups too.

scott5017
02-13-2013, 11:54 PM
Hello scott5017, I am from the Edmonton area and might be ordering a couple again this year. What garters do you have now?

Currently cuitzeo's / tetras / melanogaster/ puget(red) and marcianus.

Looking to add blue pugets, melanistic eastern possibly some florida blue would love some neon red sideds but not sure yet.

Light of Dae
02-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Im hoping on getting some this year, I'm in edmonton.

Don't think you'd have to pay the delivery charge if your picking up Kim. if in doubt send Sam a message at reptile express, they are great at explaining things.

scott5017
02-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Just wondering how much shipping works out on an order as i am only looking at ordering a few snakes.

Light of Dae
02-16-2013, 09:50 AM
well Last year was pretty good. It was 70ish from the canadian shipping, n Scott Felzer covered the main import n export fees but there was a ... 50 dollar fee for something.... I cant quite remember what the cost was, but I was shocked how cheap it was.

Maybe us Edmontonians can pool together as well n get all of our shipped together n just meet at the fedex hub the day they arrive.

Rober10169
04-21-2013, 09:54 AM
Any updates on if this is going forward or not?

Scott F
04-22-2013, 07:09 AM
Hi everyone,

I am still taking orders for a Canadian shipment this year. Feel free to inquire for pricing.

Thanks,

Scott