PDA

View Full Version : worms

poissonguppy
06-22-2007, 02:06 PM
I harvest worms from my backyard for my snakes. I've never put any composting worms in my garden, so what kind are the "wild" worms and are they safe for my garters?

I've looked on the internet for US suppliers of frozen feeders and came up with a couple of sites. In your guys' experience, what are the best and cheapest companies?

Thanks!

drache
06-23-2007, 07:46 AM
I'll PM you about my limited rodent experience

as to the worms
as long as they're not the red wigglers they should be okay
of course there is always the chance of parasites - rather low with worms though
people who feed their aquarium fish worms from the yard, let them eliminate in wet paper towels for a day to cut down on the mud
I wonder whether that would also lower possible parasites
then again the dirt in their guts may have untold treasures in micro-nutrients
I do believe that the incidence of parasites from worms is way lower than from any kind of fish, but then their nutritional value is limited too

ssssnakeluvr
06-23-2007, 04:16 PM
yes, their nutritional value is low...mostly water. they digest fast and make a big mess!!!! they are great for scenting rodents tho...i have a red spot that refuses everything but worms..so i wrap a couple worms around a pinkie rat and she chows down!!!

garterman07
06-24-2007, 04:01 PM
idk if this is bad but i buy my worms from the bait shop. i also get minnows there. rico so far doesn't seemed effected by them so far. but i find local bait shops carry great rico foods

ssssnakeluvr
06-24-2007, 07:06 PM
I buy my worms from the local Wal-Mart..... :eek:

otis lee
06-25-2007, 10:06 AM
me too! i get my night crawlers from wal-mart,and red worms from yard ,but its been so dry here i have to do wal-mart.
you can feed worms every day or so also to get your babys shot up to pinky taken size,and fish is a must too.
if you do fish and worms you have more options for scenting.tuna juice drives them crazy also.

garterman07
06-25-2007, 02:39 PM
will they eat tuna out of the can???
that would be killer cause minnows up where i am at are extremely pricy. but the tuna is horribly cheap

poissonguppy
06-25-2007, 03:52 PM
I buy my worms from the local Wal-Mart..... :eek:

Walmart sells worms, in the pet section? :confused: Or are they in the fishing dept.?

Elliot
06-25-2007, 04:03 PM
will they eat tuna out of the can???
that would be killer cause minnows up where i am at are extremely pricy. but the tuna is horribly cheap

How much do they cost? I get rosy reds for 12 cents a fish.

ssssnakeluvr
06-25-2007, 08:19 PM
they are in the sporting goods section here....:D

drache
06-26-2007, 04:20 AM
tuna juice drives them crazy also.

has anyone else tried this?
it seems like such an easy option for scenting
not that we eat tuna often (high mercury content), but there's always tons of juice going down the drain and it'd be easy to just save some in a jar in the frig