PDA

View Full Version : Substrate for Breeders?

Greg'sGarters
11-03-2012, 04:23 AM
What substrate do you guys use for your breeders? I've been using Keeper's Choice (Cypress Mulch) but I'm noticing, as I look through the pictures, that not a lot of people are using that. What substrate do you guys think is best for breeders?

twgrosmick
11-03-2012, 06:18 AM
I use compressed paper pellets

guidofatherof5
11-03-2012, 07:08 AM
Compressed aspen pellets.
Gentle Touch Products - Products: Cat Box Filler, Pet Bedding, & Horse Bedding (http://www.gentletouchproducts.com/products.html)

Greg'sGarters
11-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Green Pet Aspen Supreme Pellets Pet & Bird All Natural Litter/Bedding at PETCO (http://www.petco.com/product/10515/Green-Pet-Aspen-Supreme-Pellets-Pet-and-Bird-All-Natural-Litter-Bedding.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGoogleAdExtProd-_-Small%20Animal-_-Green%20Pet-_-863696&mr:trackingCode=D30AEC15-8381-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:keyword=%7Bkeyword%7D&mr:match=%7Bmatchtype%7D&mr:ad=26560842235&mr:filter=51515422795)

Will this work? I can't find any place to buy the brand you suggested.

Light of Dae
11-03-2012, 09:51 AM
You could use Paper pellets... This is what I've switched to...

Spankenstyne
11-03-2012, 10:50 AM
I use Aspen chip:

Comes in a bag like this:

Greg'sGarters
11-03-2012, 03:12 PM
I'll probably use paper pellets, only because I don't know any place that sells aspen chips or pellets. But there's a pet store that sells the Purina yesterday's news that I could easily ride my bike to. Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone!

tress29
11-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Petco has pelleted newspaper in their store brand.

BLUESIRTALIS
11-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Cypress mulch is just fine too greg. I used it for years on my snakes. I always bought 100 percent natural cypress mulch from lowes and then baked it in the oven for a little while. I now use aspen because it is so convenient i just open the bag and it's ready to use.

what substrate do you guys use for your breeders? I've been using keeper's choice (cypress mulch) but i'm noticing, as i look through the pictures, that not a lot of people are using that. What substrate do you guys think is best for breeders?

BUSHSNAKE
11-08-2012, 09:57 AM
I use bark chips mixed with peat moss. The texture is great. Its very absorbant and holds humidity.

I used to use cypress mulch but now its hard for me to find it not mixed with unknown woods.

Greg'sGarters
11-08-2012, 04:32 PM
The cypress mulch I use for other snakes is actually just fine as it comes. It is made SPECIFICALLY for reptiles. I actually know the owner of the company. It's actually a very popular brand (I'm not sure if that's a local thing or if it is popular all over the US). It's called Keepers Choice. I love it for everything. I'm using pelleted newspaper though for my garter snake breeders now though.

ConcinusMan
11-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Green Pet Aspen Supreme Pellets Pet & Bird All Natural Litter/Bedding at PETCO (http://www.petco.com/product/10515/Green-Pet-Aspen-Supreme-Pellets-Pet-and-Bird-All-Natural-Litter-Bedding.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGoogleAdExtProd-_-Small Animal-_-Green Pet-_-863696&mr:trackingCode=D30AEC15-8381-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:keyword={keyword}&mr:match={matchtype}&mr:ad=26560842235&mr:filter=51515422795)

Will this work? I can't find any place to buy the brand you suggested.

Screw petco. You'll pay way too much. Do you have a walmart around there?

I get this at walmart dirt cheap. Under $3 per bag and it's a lot. About 1/5 the cost petco charges for the same stuff.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/06/14/00/0007061400290_500X500.jpg

Greg'sGarters
11-28-2012, 05:15 PM
I am currently using Yesterday's News compressed newspaper pellets.

Screw petco. You'll pay way too much. Do you have a walmart around there?

I get this at walmart dirt cheap. Under $3 per bag and it's a lot. About 1/5 the cost petco charges for the same stuff.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/06/14/00/0007061400290_500X500.jpg

Surprisingly, there is not a Walmart around here! It sucks because Walmart is one of my favorite stores.

Artic Exotics
11-28-2012, 07:29 PM
I dig "good mews" which is pelleted newspaper thats just a hair larger in grain size to the petco brand. I also keep a "humid box" - essentially a Tupperware container with a whole in the lid filled with moist sphagnum moss (very mold resistant) just cuz the humidity tends to get really really low in my climate and the newspaper substrates do not help with that. This way they have a choice :-)

ConcinusMan
11-28-2012, 07:32 PM
I also keep a "humid box" - essentially a Tupperware container with a whole in the lid filled with moist sphagnum moss (very mold resistant) just cuz the humidity tends to get really really low in my climate and the newspaper substrates do not help with that. This way they have a choice :-)

I think that a lot of people that fail at keeping northwestern's neglect this. They need damp, cool places to go. They need those micro-climates. You can't just put them on dry substrate, low humidity, and keep them at 85 and expect them to do well. Especially the babies. And sometimes, just sometimes, the babies will never eat and will just drop dead one by one unless they have these moist areas, and some fail unless you brumate them within a few weeks of birth. Then, when they come out of it, they'll eat. Overall, I think a lot of people just keep them too warm and dry. Just look at the climate in their natural range. They don't range outside that cool damp climate with moderate, short summers because they can't handle it. They'll drop dead in extended dry periods or hot spells. During hot dry summers they disappear because there is always moist cool places to hide around here and plenty of shade in wooded areas. I never find them far from the edge of a forest.

Artic Exotics
11-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Surprisingly, there is not a Walmart around here! It sucks because Walmart is one of my favorite stores. wow.. they made it to Kenai, Alaska but didnt manage to get one up in Hackensack, NJ? LOL thats a trip....

Invisible Snake
11-29-2012, 12:51 AM
wow.. they made it to Kenai, Alaska but didnt manage to get one up in Hackensack, NJ? LOL thats a trip....

Walmart is not even in NYC and aren't allowed to put up a store here, I think it's because of some political nonsense

ConcinusMan
11-29-2012, 12:28 PM
It has to do with traffic and available space. I don't know about anywhere else but the walmarts around here are huge. They take a lot of space. I don't see how they're going to insert one into a heavily urbanized area and then there's the traffic issues they cause. I can't see them coming to NYC or Hackensack due to the cost of real estate and development.

Greg'sGarters
11-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Yeah, there are little to no HOUSES in Manhattan. If they don't have room for a house, where will they have space for a HUGE Walmart? Usually Walmarts have big parking lots also, and anyone who has ever tried to find a parking spot in NYC know's it'd be easier to rebuild the atom bomb! Lol.

Steveo
11-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Yeah, there are little to no HOUSES in Manhattan. If they don't have room for a house, where will they have space for a HUGE Walmart? Usually Walmarts have big parking lots also, and anyone who has ever tried to find a parking spot in NYC know's it'd be easier to rebuild the atom bomb! Lol.

Ha! They'd probably make more money if they built a big pay parking lot instead of a store.