PDA

View Full Version : For sale section

Kantar
11-02-2012, 08:12 AM
buying and selling garter snakes can be a major hassle, especally if there is a border in between the seller and buyer. is there any way to have a outside USA for sale section?

Its a tease that I see all these beautiful snakes that I can easily afford but can't have. So instead of going into every thread to see where they are being sold from, can we have a outside USA section or put the state/province in the title, for example, 2012 Easterns for sale (South Carolina)

just a thought, what do you think?

guidofatherof5
11-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Mods., has this question/issue ever been brought up or addressed?

Stefan-A
11-02-2012, 12:10 PM
I think we had separate sections, once upon a time. Don't ask me why we don't anymore. Yes, it would be good if people started putting the location in the title.

guidofatherof5
11-02-2012, 12:16 PM
I guess you could also ask Boots (Jason) for a separate section.
View Profile: Boots - Garter Snake Forum (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/members/boots.html)

Kantar
11-02-2012, 04:23 PM
I think we could benifit from adding the location in the title, because when mine are ready to sell I'd have to add (Manitoba, Canada Only)

thamneil
11-02-2012, 04:41 PM
I typically just make the assumption that they are in the States. :P

Boots
11-03-2012, 09:03 AM
We had separate software installed, but members did not like it as it had more fields to fill out,and most were mandatory. So we ended up going to what you currently see. I do agree that having the location in the title would be nice though.

Jason

Greg'sGarters
11-29-2012, 04:40 PM
I like the suggestion, there have been times that I have been looking at the for sale section, saw the EXACT thing I was looking for, only to find out that the person selling it is in a different continent.

KephrenJorgensen
12-04-2012, 05:08 PM
I think it may also do some good to do some research into the legalities of keeping/selling Garter's. In my case, just having them is a federal offense, but selling them could send me to jail as soon as I turn of age for up to 1 year per snake. the laws for us Canadian users are not lenient in anyway, though they vary from province to province. It may be useful to state whether or not you are legally allowed to keep the snakes and whether or not you need a permit and are qualified to keep them so that other users don't get their hopes up.

guidofatherof5
12-04-2012, 05:19 PM
I think the legality issue is for the buyer to address if the seller has the legal right to sell.

Steveo
12-04-2012, 06:12 PM
I think the legality issue is for the buyer to address if the seller has the legal right to sell.

It's on the seller to determine if they have the legal right to sell and the buyer to determine if they have the legal right to buy. The only cross-border liability issues would involve federal law. In many instances, such as CO, there's less liability in having snakes shipped in than buying native species in-state. (any native species sold in-state must have documentation with proof that it originated out of state; sale of herps from CO is prohibited).

guidofatherof5
12-04-2012, 06:48 PM
It's on the seller to determine if they have the legal right to sell and the buyer to determine if they have the legal right to buy. The only cross-border liability issues would involve federal law. In many instances, such as CO, there's less liability in having snakes shipped in than buying native species in-state. (any native species sold in-state must have documentation with proof that it originated out of state; sale of herps from CO is prohibited).

You said it much better then I did.;)

d_virginiana
12-04-2012, 07:16 PM
It's on the buyer here in NC. A good example is venomous snakes; most sellers have a statement that it is on you to have the appropriate permits. They can't knowingly sell to someone without a permit, but they aren't obligated to check up on the permit status of every buyer they talk to.

ConcinusMan
12-11-2012, 02:29 PM
I think it may also do some good to do some research into the legalities of keeping/selling Garter's. In my case, just having them is a federal offense, but selling them could send me to jail as soon as I turn of age for up to 1 year per snake. the laws for us Canadian users are not lenient in anyway, though they vary from province to province.

Well which is it? Seems to me that if it's a Federal offense, the laws of each province is irrelevant. If it's a Federal offense, then that would be so throughout ALL of Canada. I believe it is illegal throughout all of Canada, to keep garters that are native. There are no restrictions on the importation, sale, keeping, etc. of non natives. At least that's what I always thought.

Anyway, I don't know what this has to do with the for sale section. Legality of sales and trade should be entirely up to the buyers and sellers to address.

Greg'sGarters
12-14-2012, 07:34 PM
It is up to the seller to make sure that they don't sell it to someone who can't own it. At reptile shows, I once wanted to buy a copperhead, the guy (knowing i was only 14 at the time) sold me the copperhead no problem. This last reptile show, I tried to get myself a nice Indigo Snake, before I even asked if the snake was for sale, the dealer asked me if I was from NJ and as soon as I said yes, he said, "Yup, she's a beautiful snake. I wish I could sell her to you but I can't sell her to you because you're from NJ."

ConcinusMan
12-14-2012, 11:37 PM
It is up to the seller to make sure that they don't sell it to someone who can't own it.

Not necessarily.