PDA

View Full Version : My male Oregon Red-spotted Garter Snake

Greg'sGarters
10-30-2012, 08:34 PM
This is my male Oregon Red-spotted Garter Snake

He is a little bit snappy but I feel that he will produce nice babies.

ConcinusMan
10-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Classic example of snakes from the southern Willamette Valley. (Corvallis, Salem, Eugene) Nice snake!

guidofatherof5
10-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Nice.

ConcinusMan
10-30-2012, 08:37 PM
As you go farther north through the valley, the heads darken until by the time you get to Portland/SW WA, the heads are almost always entirely black on top and you start seeing more laterally striped ones.

Greg'sGarters
10-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Thank you. I usually don't hold snakes by the head but as I was taking the first 2 pictures, he was striking at my iPhone lens. And I've been bit by him, he can deliver a pretty powerful bite for a garter snake.

ConcinusMan
10-30-2012, 08:42 PM
I do hear that only very rarely from concinnus owners. Heck, I rarely find even wild ones that bite. They usually just squirm and musk with no threat display or biting. Sure, it happens occasionally, but only one attempt and then they quit. Never had any that didn't tame right down. Females do seem much less nervous and flighty though, especially the big ones.

Greg'sGarters
10-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I've never seen any garter snakes (except 1 pregnant female of mine and this guy) that will bite more than once. Usually if they even try to bite, they only bite once and then just give up and stay still. This guy flings his body around wildly, if that doesn't work, he sprays musk (pretty bad smelling musk too, worse than any other musk I've smelled), and then finally he bites/strikes. But I feel that after brumation, once he gets a chance to mate, he will tame down a little bit.

ConcinusMan
10-30-2012, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't count on it. Males in particular can be quite stubborn, prefering to be little *** holes and stay that way. Sometimes I think it's because they just aren't as intelligent as the females for some reason.

RedSidedSPR
10-31-2012, 07:46 AM
My two males are sweet as can be, and the females a complete a-hole. :p

Nice snake, love the orange head

ConcinusMan
10-31-2012, 10:26 AM
My two males are sweet as can be, and the females a complete a-hole. :p

Anything's possible but when you've dealt with the numbers of them that I have, for as long as I have, one tends to generalize. There are always exceptions. Remember that thing I was saying about female intelligence? Well, sometimes that means a female concinnus' will just decide she doesn't like certain people for no particular reason. Males tend to act like they do, with everyone, while females pick and choose who they like and who they don't.

RedSidedSPR
10-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I wasn't saying you were wrong, I was saying mine was an exception. She doesn't like me.

i believe you on all that. I don't doubt that females are smarter, from what I've seen.

EasternGirl
10-31-2012, 11:52 AM
My female concinnus is sweet as can be...she musks and gets skiddish when I pick her up though. My female eastern, Cee Cee, who has a new hobby of biting the crap out of me all the time...she's a big girl and she will strike hard and deliver a nice bite. Se does it everytime I put my hand in her tank now...she will even strike at my fingers through the glass and bang her nose on the glass. If I pick her up though, she stops. The two yearlings I found are the opposite...they won't bite if I put my hand in the tub...but if I pick them up...both will whip their heads around and start biting.

RedSidedSPR
10-31-2012, 12:12 PM
My males are beyond sweet. That's all you can say to describe it

Greg'sGarters
11-01-2012, 02:56 AM
I'll definitely let you guys know when the babies are available for sale.

snake man
11-01-2012, 04:45 AM
All three of mine are nice little snakes, I spend a little time with each of them eveyday hoping by the time they are big we will all be good pals.

Greg'sGarters
11-01-2012, 08:46 AM
I'm definitely going to spend some time with my babies once they are born.

RedSidedSPR
11-01-2012, 09:02 AM
I really do like the oranges heads, would be cool if the babies all had that

Greg'sGarters
11-01-2012, 12:25 PM
That would be amazing! If they don't all have orange heads, I'll reduce the price on the ones that don't have the orange head. The funny thing is that his beauty almost went to waste. I bought him at a reptile show in the Poconos (also got to meet the Gator Boys), where there was a woman selling him as a Red-sided. I wanted to get more into Red-sideds, so I bought him. Later on I realized wait, this isn't a Red-sided it can't be! So I texted Scott Felzer, and he said that it was an Oregon Red-spotted. I am glad his beauty didn't get wasted. Red-sideds are only nice when bred to Red-sideds, Red-spotteds are only nice when bred to Red-spotteds.

RedSidedSPR
11-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Red-sideds are only nice when bred to Red-sideds, Red-spotteds are only nice when bred to Red-spotteds.

True dat. My two favorite garters are red spots and red sideds.

The orange head is simply color variation from different ranges, it's not more "high end" or anything I don't think. All mine have black heads, doesn't make them worth any less.

I think.

guidofatherof5
11-01-2012, 04:35 PM
That would be amazing! If they don't all have orange heads, I'll reduce the price on the ones that don't have the orange head. The funny thing is that his beauty almost went to waste. I bought him at a reptile show in the Poconos (also got to meet the Gator Boys), where there was a woman selling him as a Red-sided. I wanted to get more into Red-sideds, so I bought him. Later on I realized wait, this isn't a Red-sided it can't be! So I texted Scott Felzer, and he said that it was an Oregon Red-spotted. I am glad his beauty didn't get wasted. Red-sideds are only nice when bred to Red-sideds, Red-spotteds are only nice when bred to Red-spotteds.

Amen.