PDA

View Full Version : How To Kill a Garter Snake

Lovok
10-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Friends, what I'm about to tell you will blow your minds. There's a "Helpful hints" page called Ehow, that published this article:

How to Kill a Garter Snake | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_8604209_kill-garter-snake.html)

I urge members here to respond to this web article. I've posted comments there via Facebook, and all but one has been deleted (by Ehow itself). I sent a letter to:

support@ehow.zendesk.com

and so far have yet to get a reply, and I'm not optimistic.

We all care about snakes in general, and love our garters, but they need our help in a BIG way to combat this level of ignorance. Write to them, report the site to animal and/or reptile protection agencies, and share this information so that Ehow either removes the article or publishes a retraction.

This type of cruelty and baseless fear needs our opposition.

MCwyo
10-29-2012, 04:35 PM
I saw this on facebook and replied to it. What an ignorant idiot. It pretty much says- This snake is completely harmless and beneficial, but let me show you how to cut off it's head because it's soooo scary. It needs to be removed.

Lovok
10-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Which is why I hope people here flood the site with e-mails until they can no longer ignore what they're promoting.

Mandi0284
10-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Wow what a jerk. A guy at my work kills garters for no reason. I told him to capture them and I will take them and release them elsewhere.... or keep them if they are super cute :)

People are so intolerant of other species and quick to destroy something they do not understand or fear. If you dont want snakes in your yard....move somewhere else.

-MARWOLAETH-
10-29-2012, 05:14 PM
The person who wrote this is an absolute egit!The way of "getting rid of an animal is to make the habitat less suitable for it.Cutting their heads off isn't going to make a difference as more snakes are just going to move in.As the page say, a simple clearing up of the garden and a cut of the grass but before you start lopping off heads would have done the trick.The snake would just move to a more suitable area on their own.

guidofatherof5
10-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Comment left and email sent.

Lovok
10-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Contact the site and let the know this! The more of us that respond, the more garters we can save. Even if it's only one that's saved, a difference will have been made.

Lovok
10-29-2012, 05:20 PM
THANK YOU, Steve!!! :D

ProXimuS
10-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Yea lets encourage people to kill small harmless animals.... It even says in the introduction they are harmless! :mad: I tried to make a comment but I don't have Facebook.

Lovok
10-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Proximus- no worries, but if you got to the article, use support@ehow.zendesk.com to send an e-mail. Don't be daunted, because this is important. Who knows how many have read the article and believe what it's saying.

Foxrun402
10-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Commented... I didn't wanna wake up from my nap to this!

katach
10-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Email sent, comment made. Still miffed though! :mad:

ProXimuS
10-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Email has been sent.

RedSidedSPR
10-29-2012, 08:11 PM
It shall be done, master.

Except the link doesn't work.

It shall be done anyway.

RedSidedSPR
10-29-2012, 08:22 PM
It shall be done, master.

Except the link doesn't work.

It shall be done anyway.

guidofatherof5
10-29-2012, 08:32 PM
All the links worked for me.

d_virginiana
10-29-2012, 09:17 PM
I want a golden star for keeping my comment G-rated.

RedSidedSPR
10-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Probably this darn ipod

ConcinusMan
10-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks for bringing it to our attention, and you can bet that action will be taken by this guy. That article is so ignorant that I am surprised they don't have one called "How to Lynch a..." well, nevermind.

Now that we know about it, their statement "Killing and exterminating snakes can be dangerous" Takes on a whole new meaning huh? :mad:

RedSidedSPR
10-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Killing snakes can be dangerous, but these guys are harmless, so let's kill them anyway.

To hell with logic.

setfree
10-29-2012, 10:33 PM
how stupid. they need to delete that wasted literature. :mad:

jaleely
10-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Anger. Posted, and repeated the plea for more posts on facebook and another snake website.

jaleely
10-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Maybe if enough people look at this it will link to it..lol
Don't Kill a Garter Snake | Spark | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/boards/dont-kill-a-garter-snake-6051210/)

@ndy
10-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Man than makes me furious!!!! I have commented on this as well! I hope this get taken down very very soon!

ConcinusMan
10-30-2012, 02:06 AM
It's just irresponsible regardless of what type of wildlife it is.

Thamnophis
10-30-2012, 04:48 AM
Everybody, put your opinion under the article on the Ehow page!

I reacted like this:

I hope that everyone who tries to kill an innocent garter snake mistakenly grabs a venomous snake and suffers a long lasting pain or worse! Why should someone kill an animal that does no harm? This is the most ridiculous web page I have ever seen!

@ndy
10-30-2012, 05:58 AM
There are my comments

Chang Lin - YOU SUCK!
You hold a "Bachelor of Arts in scriptwriting from the University of North Texas." and you write this crap! Get a life Bro!

Are you seriously promoting animal cruelty! I hope this site gets closed down!
WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU WANT TO KILL GARTER SNAKES 99.999% of them are harmless.
I demand that this ehow be removed!

I have also asked that the members on the other forum that I am registered at Join us in getting this article taken down

EasternGirl
10-30-2012, 08:10 AM
Comment left and email sent. Did anyone let the garter snake fb page know about this? People just really disgust me sometimes.

MCwyo
10-30-2012, 12:17 PM
This "article" is posted on the garter snake fb page.

When I sent my email to eHow, aside from expressing how disgusted I am with the article for encouraging people to kill harmless animals, I also mentioned the fact that there are garter snake species in the US that are protected at a state or federal level & that this article could be taken as promoting the poaching and destruction of endangered wildlife.

Lovok
10-30-2012, 01:41 PM
THANK YOU ALL for your help!! I first saw the article on the Garter Facebook page, and the first place I thought of to enlist people was here.
I e-mailed 2 different organizations so far- Ohio's Department of Natural Resources (Ohio has at least 3 different garter species and 2 Ribbon), and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Laura Roth from Ohio has replied already, saying she has forwarded the article and my e-mail to their wildlife management team, and will in turn forward to me whatever response she gets. I'm still waiting to hear from the USFWS, but I'll keep you all posted.

I see my other post was moved to this area, so my apologies for the double post and putting one where it apparently shouldn't have been. As long as the word it getting out and we can DO something,...that's the important thing.

Thank you all again, and let's keep this moving until Ehow takes responsibility for this!

Thamnophis
10-31-2012, 03:39 AM
I think the disgusting article has been removed. I cannot find it anymore.
If this is the case... GOOD NEWS!

Stefan-A
10-31-2012, 04:42 AM
Excellent.

RedSidedSPR
10-31-2012, 07:55 AM
Doesn't come up in google anymore.

EasternGirl
10-31-2012, 09:29 AM
I just got an email back from ehow saying that they removed the link. Good job everyone!

Vinodh, Oct 31 08:07 (PDT): Hi,
We've taken the link down. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
Best,
eHow Team
www.eHow.com (http://www.eHow.com)
Google+: https://plus.google.com/b/100697624494719030243/
Twitter: eHow (eHow) on Twitter (http://twitter.com/eHow)

Marnie Scott, Oct 30 07:08 (PDT): The fact that you allow an article that promotes animal cruelty is disgusting. I will be notifying everyone I know about this article...especially animal cruelty groups. I hope that people stop using ehow.

Marnie Scott

guidofatherof5
10-31-2012, 09:42 AM
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//744/Clapping.gif

-MARWOLAETH-
10-31-2012, 09:42 AM
A good result. But I'm still disappointed with eHow for allowing such sickening scribblings to be published.I hope they learn from this.

EasternGirl
10-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Well...if you noticed in my email I told them that I will tell people to stop using ehow. I plan on doing that. They were irresponsible in letting an article like that get posted in the first place. But I am glad we did something about it.

ConcinusMan
10-31-2012, 10:15 AM
A good result. But I'm still disappointed with eHow for allowing such sickening scribblings to be published.I hope they learn from this.

I seriously doubt they have the manpower to screen every single article that gets published on their site just as youtube sometimes allows copyrighted material to be published by people other than the content owner. But they do take immediate action when there is a complaint by the legitimate owner. Just the fact that eHow removed it so promptly after receiving complaints does them credit. Don't be so hard on them.

Nice job everyone.

ProXimuS
11-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Very glad to see it's gone!

ConcinusMan
11-15-2012, 08:20 PM
A recent search (how to kill snakes) turned up a responsible, sensible answer. Kudos to them: How Do You Kill A Snake (http://www.snake-removal.com/kill.html)

Selkielass
11-18-2012, 11:59 AM
That's probably the best I've seen.

ConcinusMan
11-18-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm sure it doesn't hurt business. (pro snake removal) ;)

Kind of funny though how he uses the words "poisonous" and "venomous" as if they were interchangeable.:cool: