PDA

View Full Version : a terrible smell

EasternGirl
10-27-2012, 09:23 PM
I just went to Ziggy's tank to check on her and smelled something horrible coming from the tank. I thought for sure I would find her dead...but she came out from behind a hide...looking at me, tongue flicking. But something doesn't smell right...it smells like skunk. I had her out last night to put her in the shed box and did not notice a smell on her. She has musked me before and it smelled like normal musk. I cleaned the tank and put new substrate in last night. Has anyone ever heard of something like this?

Light of Dae
10-27-2012, 09:28 PM
lol Bad snakely Gas farts lol

Hope all is well with Ziggy

guidofatherof5
10-27-2012, 09:30 PM
While cleaning did you see what could have caused the smell?

Invisible Snake
10-27-2012, 09:36 PM
I've had a terrible smell coming from 1 of my snakes viv before, it turns out my snake regurged a pinky the night before.

EasternGirl
10-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Hmmm...I cleaned the tank yesterday and noticed the smell tonight. Come to think of it...I did feed her and put her in a shed box yesterday...very bad move on my part. I didn't even think about it...I just wanted to get her in the shed box quickly because she was having a lot of trouble breathing. Maybe she regurgitated some of the worms under one of the hides...I will have to look.

Selkielass
10-28-2012, 06:55 AM
My snakes all got the runs from bad worms a few months ago. Worst smell ever, but it was obvious what was causing it. (Most were on white paper towel.)
Hides and branches needed some cleaning tho. (Hot eater soak and scrub did the jon
)

d_virginiana
10-28-2012, 05:52 PM
The worst smell ever from one of my snakes was regurgitated fish. It was bad enough to make me go regurgitate in sympathy.

EasternGirl
10-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Well, I searched the tank for any signs of regurgitated food. As I was searching, I had to pick her up and she musked all over me and it smelled like skunk. I guess that is just the way her musk smells. I wonder if this has anything to do with her being sickly. I am convinced that she got into something in my neighbor's yard. My neighbor boasts all the time about her yard being organic and she has a sign up that says her garden was approved as a Wildlife Habitat. But her son told me that they sprayed some kind of poison in the yard to kill weeds.

ConcinusMan
10-31-2012, 02:08 PM
I've had a terrible smell coming from 1 of my snakes viv before

NO WAY! :rolleyes:

Sometimes it's just a gnarly crap but the worst is anything regurgitated. Stinks up the whole room.

ConcinusMan
10-31-2012, 02:13 PM
But her son told me that they sprayed some kind of poison in the yard to kill weeds.

Most weed killers that aren't banned, will not harm wildlife or even act as a poison to anything but the target species these days. That is, if they are used according to the directions. Most consist of certain types of salts that interrupt photosynthesis, thus starving the plant to death. They don't even work unless the plant absorbs the liquid through the leaves immediately after spraying. After it dries, it's benign. Just saying, it's not "poison" per se. Even moss killers are usually just zinc sulfate and/or iron sulfate which are just naturally occuring metals. It's not really poison unless consumed in large quantities. But than again, anything can be poison if enough is taken in.

Stefan-A
11-01-2012, 01:02 AM
Most weed killers that aren't banned, will not harm wildlife or even act as a poison to anything but the target species these days.
I'm sure it says that on the box.

Greg'sGarters
11-01-2012, 02:46 AM
Yeah, I remember a little while ago, I had an eastern. I had set up the new tank for her and instead of using an incandescent bulb, I used a fluorescent bulb and a UTH. I forgot to plug in the UTH though. So whenever I'd feed her, she would always regurgitate everything, but I eventually figured out the problem.