PDA

View Full Version : hardiest garter?

garterman07
06-22-2007, 09:02 AM
witch garter species is the hardiest, by that i mean can handle the most extreme weather conditions and insane predators. i was looking over some of the other garter species and started thinking that the garters in wisconsin have to be pretty tough, they handle freezing cold winters, really cold nights, loads of predators, and tons of rain. i was out side last night and it was 42 degrees and i saw 4 garters out and about.

but out of question who bosts the toughest garters?

Elliot
06-22-2007, 09:07 AM
Common garters are the only species of snake in Alaska I've heard. Gotta be pretty tough to survive those conditions.

adamanteus
06-22-2007, 11:55 AM
I would also say T. sirtalis (parietalis), if we're talking survival of extreme cold, but I'm sure some of the southern and Mexican species have to endure the opposite extreme in climate, and probably a wider range of predators.

Elliot
06-22-2007, 12:01 PM
I would also say T. sirtalis (parietalis), if we're talking survival of extreme cold, but I'm sure some of the southern and Mexican species have to endure the opposite extreme in climate, and probably a wider range of predators.

Predators including humans here, they've nearly killed off all of the ribbon snakes to where I'm lucky if I see one adult one a year. I do usually see the cute babies outside though.

garterman07
06-22-2007, 08:58 PM
i wish there were ribbon snakes around here theres thought to still be some left in wisconsin but its really doubtful, and they were such beautiful critters. also the butlers gartersnake is another extremely rare snake here to.

lol also i just realized for the first time wisconsin has lizards!!! but yet again they are extremely rare as well...but i really like ribbon snakes.