PDA

View Full Version : Humidity... what % should it be at in the terrarium?

Foxrun402
10-27-2012, 08:54 AM
http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o774/foxrun402/temporary_zps6f1dc149.jpg

I started using the aspen bedding which is a very dry substrate and I do have a mist bottle that I could use to moisten up the bedding a bit... but I am wondering how the humidity in the terrarium should be... it reads 40%-60% as normal... and is always lingering around 40%...

Any thoughts would be great =)

guidofatherof5
10-27-2012, 10:54 AM
I keep mine at 50%-60%

ConcinusMan
10-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Not below 30% and not above 70% IMO. "Moderate". as in nothing extremely low or high. It's really not that critical. A higher humidity sometimes helps when a snake is about to shed but other than that, it's not something that you really need to stress over.

Light of Dae
10-27-2012, 11:26 AM
I Simply have moist moss hides in all my tanks, If I had to mist every one of my tanks I'd be at it all day lol. With a humid hide they use it as they feel the need. I keep mine half over a heat pad or on the warm side of the tank. I've often found sheds that are attached to the entrance of the hide like they were in it then shed on their way out :)

Foxrun402
10-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Ok... now im working on getting the terrarium up to and staying at around 50% Thank you! :D

ConcinusMan
10-27-2012, 07:08 PM
No need to work at anything really. Like I said, unless it's extremely low or high, forget about it.

Foxrun402
10-27-2012, 07:18 PM
I just had my first scare with the new substrate too.... She was hiding underneath it... thought she escaped ! :eek:

guidofatherof5
10-27-2012, 07:28 PM
One of many. They know what they are doing by hiding:D

Foxrun402
10-27-2012, 07:43 PM
I pulled everything out and still couldn't find her so I rustled her substrate just a bit and zoooom! she took off cruising lol

RedSidedSPR
10-27-2012, 08:09 PM
I never touch mine, it stays between 50 and 60%.

Btw, a little warning -- you think the burrowing is bad? that particular "tree" you have in the cage.. I had that as my first piece of decor for my first snake.. It has this little crack that allows them to crawl up into the tip/highest point. It's impossible to see them, or get them out. My snake went up there and didn't come out for a week... Thought he escaped or something, then he stuck his head out, but never again for like 4 or 5 days (he kinda went into hibernation mode up there I think) caught him drinking and took the tree out, he burrowed in the bedding for the rest of the winter. Just keep that in mind, cuz it's not a good thing once he finds out about that damn crack.

kueluck
10-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Jesse - Thanks for the warning. I have the same piece, don't think the 2 small girls can fit in there, but not taking a chance. Just gives me a reason to pick up some new cork bark at Repticon in Winston Salem next month.

Light of Dae
10-28-2012, 09:31 AM
You could just fill in the crack with hot glue too. No need to completely write the piece off.

ConcinusMan
10-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Expanding foam is what I would suggest.

Light of Dae
10-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Depends on the size of hole to fill. I'd probably still seal off the foam with hot glue cause its way easier to clean glue then porous foam :P

Foxrun402
10-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Lmao I had no idea that was a possibility when i bought it!!! LoL!!! and yeah I did notice that and checked up in that hole that points to the top of the cage she wasn't in there... then I was really scared! when she came out of the bedding it was like the movie Worms where they shoot up out of the sand in the desert! she came straight up and started running laps lmao

Lisa4john
10-30-2012, 08:23 AM
Yep, I have that same log and my new gals love to hide in the top point of it, didn't know it was there cuz my others didn't disappear in it like that. Scared me to death cuz she was no where to be found in the tank. I took out all the stuff, thought I looked in the log, sifted the substrate several times back and forth, nothing... You can't see anything in the top point hole unless you turn it upside down and look in it with a flashlight. I found that out the hard way, looks like others have too... :eek: Sneaky snakes... ;)

I think I will fill the hole and seal it cuz I like the hide, just not the seek. ;)

RedSidedSPR
10-30-2012, 08:54 AM
It's not the going in there that gets me, it's the not coming out.

EasternGirl
10-30-2012, 08:54 AM
I use wax to seal up cracks and holes...it works well and it isn't sticky enough for the snakes to stick to. I try to keep my humidity between 40%-60%...sometimes it's just difficult to get it over 40% when it is very cold and dry...but like others said, moist moss and misting helps. Speaking of escapes...I have had two snakes jump right out of their feeding tubs and onto the floor this week. When I first got Bella...she was in a plastic turtle habitat and found a way to get up under a ridge on the lid...and when I opened the container...she made a break for it. Want to hear my stupidest screw up? I left the lamp on the babies tank sitting on the side of the tank...I prop it up there when I am feeding them...against the plastic. It is fine for the time I am feeding them...but I forgot about it and it sat there and melted the lid of the tank and left a hole in the corner. Could have been a real disaster if I hadn't found it when I did. Now the babies are all trying to escape all the time...and they are getting big enough to reach the top of the tank. I'm going to have to plug up the hole....$60 tank too. I can be really blonde sometimes.

Lisa4john
10-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Good idea to use wax. :) I have a hard time getting my tank over 40% humidity too, and I live in the Puget Sound where it has been raining for over a week straight, go figure. Where is the best place to get the moss, and which one is best for the snakes? I have a hide I made with paper towels, but I know the moss would be better.

gregmonsta
10-30-2012, 09:11 AM
I have to say that I never check my humidity :eek: ... a large waterbowl is all I provide and I keep the substrate dry and clean if it gets damp ... this seems to be enough in my experience.