PDA

View Full Version : Hiding most of the time

Chrisnif
10-19-2012, 02:00 PM
My trio of Florida blue garters are sharing a 40 breeder, in which I've placed a few decorations for them to hide (hot side and cold side) as well as two water bowls (hot and cold again) and a feeding dish in the middle. My problem is I never get to see my snakes. They are constantly hiding in the substrate (Cypress mulch and "forest floor bedding" which I think is mostly coconut husk). I do see sometimes one snake here or there, but even the basking light doesn't bring them out to bask. I put guppies in the feeding dish (deli cup) with some water so they'd live for a while, and the next day all the guppies were gone, so I know they are in there and feeding. Maybe because they are babies still they hide more? I don't know, just looking for suggestions on how to get them out more?

guidofatherof5
10-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Be sure to check the substrate for dead guppies. They have a habit of jumping out.
What do you mean by warm and cold water?
The baby thing might explain a lot of the hiding.
Is this a top opening enclosure?
How long have you had them?

Chrisnif
10-19-2012, 03:35 PM
I've had them about two weeks, which I'm sure is part of it too... I've had all the cut up night crawlers disappear too, and I know they aren't jumping out. The enclosure has a sliding screen lid top that is part of it and latches. Warm/cold water, I've got two water bowls, one on the warm side near the basking light, the other water is in the coldest part of the tank. I just wanted to make sure they have easy access to water always.

guidofatherof5
10-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Two week is the main reason for the hiding. They need time to settle in. Be patient, they'll come around.

RedSidedSPR
10-19-2012, 04:27 PM
My thoughts exactly, any new babies I've ever gotten (except concinnus cuz they're ridiculously bold -- my two newest have yet to use a single hide) take a few weeks to really settle in. By next month you'll see them a loooot more

Chrisnif
10-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks guys...