PDA

View Full Version : Feeding up your feeder worms?

SkinnyPete
10-18-2012, 07:34 PM
So I had this wild idea today.
I "gutload" my feeder insects for my Gecko's, why not "feed up" my worms for my Garters?
The more nutrition in my feeders the better for my snakes right? Well here is what I did:
1 doz Nightcrawlers from my local pet store. (Local Organic Worms)
I then took the "stuff" from their cup and added some mulch from our garden (organic) some Flukers High Calcium Cricket food, and grated 1/2 a carrot and added it in, mixed it all up, added some distilled water till it was nice and moist and re-installed the worms. So now I KNOW they are eating a highly nutritious diet, witch in turn will mean more nutritious food for my snakes!
Just thought I would offer this up as an idea, and ask what you all think?
Be safe!
Pete

guidofatherof5
10-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Sounds good. The idea has merit. I think the most important thing you did was the calcium supp.

thamneil
10-18-2012, 08:37 PM
I always add a bit of calcium and fresh soil to my night crawler cups. It really is a great way to plump them up.

guidofatherof5
10-18-2012, 09:02 PM
I use "Brown Bear Worm Bedding" and "Magic Worm Food"
They eat a lot so I only keep 200 worms per cooler.
I usually purchase both products from Walmart but it is a seasonal item.
I will now be buying direct(wholesale) from the company(Magic Products) that makes both product.
Brown Bear Worm Bedding - Sportsman's Warehouse (http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Brown-Bear-Worm-Bedding/productDetail/Worm-Bedding-Accessories/prod999901362777/cat101123)
MagicŪ - The Best in Baits and Bait Care - Worm Bedding + Food (http://www.magicproducts.com/bedding.htm)

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/fridge_worms.jpg

EasternGirl
10-19-2012, 08:42 AM
I need to get another container and some of the magic worm food since the weather is getting cold and I have many snakes to feed now. Thanks for the link. Steve, would you add calcium to the magic worm food or does it already have calcium added?

guidofatherof5
10-19-2012, 10:50 AM
I need to get another container and some of the magic worm food since the weather is getting cold and I have many snakes to feed now. Thanks for the link. Steve, would you add calcium to the magic worm food or does it already have calcium added?

Shop around Marnie. I didn't post those links for low price.
I don't think it would be necessary to add calcium but then again I don't think it would hurt.

kueluck
10-19-2012, 12:48 PM
If feeding pinkies on a regular basis should you still add calcium? Can you over calcium a garter? When I spoke to Scott F at the Myrtle show and told him I feed pinkies, worms and fish each week he said to stop the calcium but continue w/the multi vitamin. Just seeing what your input is on this.

But I do think it's a great idea to gut-load the worms. As Pete does, I also gut-load my toads roaches.

guidofatherof5
10-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Yes you can give too much calcium. It can cause liver problems amongst other thing.

-MARWOLAETH-
10-19-2012, 05:14 PM
I was thinking about spreading bone meal or chalk around where I dig up my worms.Would it make much of a difference to the worms calcium levels?

guidofatherof5
10-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Can't hurt.