PDA

View Full Version : Communal housing?

Light of Dae
10-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Seeing as I now have a female Checkered and George is all alone and they are are close in size....

Would it be to stressful to put her in with George? He being about mating age and she is too young to have her own young.... I'd love to put them together but I don't want them to constantly be trying to do the dirty and be all stressed by it.

Any thoughts on keeping them together?

As glad as I am She is a SHE... it would have been nice to have a male for a roommate.

What are the thoughts on keeping adult male n female together for more then just mating season (as adults)? Still to stressful?

Any thoughts? Opinions? Reasons.

guidofatherof5
10-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Most of the time males don't seek females unless the female is sending signals (pheromones).
About all you can do is try it out and see what happens. I think garters like company. They feel more secure with others.

Stefan-A
10-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Most of the time males don't seek females unless the female is sending signals (pheromones).
When I mixed sexes, that happened constantly, every day.

katach
10-11-2012, 12:16 AM
I keep my adult boys and girls in different tanks. I want to breed, just not all of them all at once :D. Makes it less stressful overall, for the snakes and you, imo. That's just what I do though.

Thamnophis
10-11-2012, 02:20 AM
There is always a risc when you place male and female from different species together. Most of the time trouble starts immediately after the female sheds her skin.

Light of Dae
10-11-2012, 06:36 AM
They are both Checkered Garters so it wouldn't be a mutt litter but... Yea... I'll have to find a male roomie for George...

RedSidedSPR
10-11-2012, 10:49 AM
I see no reason to mix sexes if they're old enough to notice.. I don't exactly think they'd be enjoying the company specifically

Kantar
10-11-2012, 04:39 PM
my female radix and my male albino checkered think each other is butt ugly, they've lived together for almost 3 years, no babies, once I put a female albino checkered in, almost 4 months later I have little babies. Frosty thinks serpent is the ugly chick...

guidofatherof5
10-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Housing mix species and mixed sexes is a recipe for disaster.;)

Greg'sGarters
10-31-2012, 05:37 PM
If you mix species, you can't mix sexes

If you mix sexes, you can't mix species

Don't want any hybridizing. Plus, from what I've heard checkered garters are more likely to hybridize with other species than other species are.