PDA

View Full Version : feeding wild panfish

jasuncle1972
06-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Anybody feed there snakes filleted panfish ( sun's, bluegills,perch)? Feeding three garters at approx. one doz.per week per snake is getting a little pricey. Any advice?

garterman07
06-20-2007, 10:18 AM
you could catch the fish or just buy minnows. thats what i do i buy bait minnows freeze em then clean wash them off. but it sounds like you are feeding your snakes alot i only feed my garter as many minnows and worms he can eat only like 2-3 times a week.

Tori
06-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Jasuncle - I live in West Michigan as well, in Holland. How many garters do you have to feed? I get bulk nightcrawlers delivered and minnows at the bait shop. If we go fishing I do keep some of the pan fish for the snakes. Haven't gotten out as often as I would like, so far, this summer. I prefer to get them on pinkies as soon as I can, though not all will ever take them. But enough do to make it worth the effort.

Tori

jasuncle1972
06-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Jasuncle - I live in West Michigan as well, in Holland. How many garters do you have to feed? I get bulk nightcrawlers delivered and minnows at the bait shop. If we go fishing I do keep some of the pan fish for the snakes. Haven't gotten out as often as I would like, so far, this summer. I prefer to get them on pinkies as soon as I can, though not all will ever take them. But enough do to make it worth the effort.

Tori
Hi tori, I have three, an eastern , a ribbon and a red sided common garter as best as i can tell.Thanks to all for the input.