PDA

View Full Version : Sending snakes through the mail?

Morph
06-19-2007, 02:14 PM
I have a lot of experience in posting amphibs (aquatic and terrestrial) through the mail but i was wondering how people go about sending snakes. how are they packaged and what precautions are taken?

thanks

Dan

KITKAT
06-19-2007, 04:45 PM
I don't mail snakes because it could be a federal crime... but I do send them Fed Ex sometimes, and package them as follows:

Small snakes are put in a plastic container, such as a deli cup or a Glad disposable storage container. I poke plenty of holes in this, but not big enough for baby to crawl through.

Include some paper towelling, loose, not packed, for cushioning. Insert the container in a box that is half full of crumpled newspaper, and add newspaper on top too. Again, that paper is not packed down.

Close and secure the box with tape and send 24 hour express.

Pretty similar to sending a lizard, actually.

In colder months, the box should be styrofoam, and should itself be enclosed in a cardboard box. heat packs are also useful in cold months.

snakeman
06-19-2007, 06:01 PM
personally, I would not use fed ex.They have lost 4 of my packages so far.Including the snakes I was supposed to receive today.I use dhl.

Sputnik
06-20-2007, 03:50 AM
If I remember right, only TNT are licensed to carry snakes in the UK, Morph. Maybe James can correct me if I'm wrong. As far as I'm aware there is also a reptile taxi. Sorry, this all a little vague, if I can find the info somewhere I will let you know. Try the search on the forum, there is information floating around in past threads. :)

Morph
06-20-2007, 03:53 AM
Thanks very much for all the info. it'll come in usefull for when my new pregnant female gives birth (but i'll save that story for another thread :))