PDA

View Full Version : Color Results

rinako
06-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Hi,

Soon I am going to be getting 3 garter snakes. Hopefully a Male Santa Cruz(One Stripe Morph), Female Eastern Flame, and a Female Quad Het Plains Garter(Nebraska Albino, Nebraska Snow, Iowa Albino, Iowa Snow). I was wondering what colors I might get.

Thanx :D

Thamnophis
06-18-2007, 10:14 PM
About the colors I cannot tell you something.
What you get is hybrids (when they want to breed).
Hybrids are specimen that are born when different species have copulated.

Odie
06-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Hi, from Oregon, Rinako :)

Stefan-A
06-18-2007, 11:59 PM
Welcome aboard, rinako. :)

Snaky
06-19-2007, 03:31 AM
What Fons said it correct, you will get hybrids or maybe nothing. I hope you'll buy some new mate's for them of the same subspecies.

Welcome from Belgium :)

KITKAT
06-19-2007, 06:57 AM
These are not different colors, they are different species.

T atratus atratus male
T sirtalis (flame) female
T radix (quad het) female

If these were all subspecies of sirtalis, for example, they might breed. However, since they are seperate species, they may not be able to breed, they may produce infertile hybrid offspring (like horse x donkey = mule) or they may produce genetically defective offspring.

And yes, they might produce normal hybrids, which are unlikely to express any of the morphs that your snakes are het for...:(

If they do produce normal hybrids, then you may have a problem selling the offspring, because the production of hybrids is viewed as unethical in some sectors of the reptile hobby.

My suggestion is that after you receive the three snakes, decide which one you like the best, and buy a corresponding mate for that species... leaving the other two as pets.

OR, you could ask Scott to sell you another set of three, with the atratus being female and the sirtalis and radix being male. Then you would be able to breed all three species and might get some of your hets to come out in the offspring, instead of risking getting hybrids.:rolleyes:

adamanteus
06-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi Alandra, welcome to the forum.

drache
06-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Hi there
nice to meet you

rinako
06-20-2007, 07:28 PM
I've changed my mind on what snakes Im getting. Ive decided to get a male Florida Blue Eastern and a female Normal Eastern.

Thanx for the help guys

KITKAT
06-21-2007, 08:55 PM
I've changed my mind on what snakes Im getting. Ive decided to get a male Florida Blue Eastern and a female Normal Eastern.

Thanx for the help guys

Good luck with your new choices, and I hope they do well for you!:cool: