PDA

View Full Version : BOI Category? Review the buyers and sellers of garter snakes

twgrosmick
09-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Anyone else think it might be a good idea to have a section where buyers can post their thoughts on transactions that went on? I know this site isn't focused on the classifieds by any means but I think that if a buyer does a good job they deserve some sort of review. I might be way off lol because I know how much of a pain in the rear end the boi is on fauna...

Thoughts?

infernalis
09-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Absolutely not.. BOI forums are 99% slander and whiners who don't get their own way.

It's a can of worms this forum does not need.

because I know how much of a pain in the rear end the boi is on fauna.

Exactly my point.

twgrosmick
09-24-2012, 02:18 PM
I agree that the BOI is but I also feel that when a buyer does a good job they should be rewarded for it. Maybe if there was a feedback option for each person profile? I know on pbnation you can leave feedback for a buyer. Would this be an option. I also agree that the BOI in itself would be nothing more than what you said.

guidofatherof5
09-24-2012, 02:25 PM
This is a tight-knit community. Usually members ask other member(PM'S) about sellers before buying.
Word-of-mouth seems to be used.
I do understand what you are leaning toward though.

BLUESIRTALIS
09-24-2012, 02:25 PM
I think if used the right way it could be a very useful tool as far as to make people more comfortable about doing a certain purchase. I agree with wayne though that most boi sections are used to bash and slanderize people instead of being used to help. I have seen several boi's where divorces and break ups caused the spouse to just start bashing and making up lies about the other,

snake man
09-24-2012, 02:29 PM
I agree with steve here you can always ask prevous buyers unless they are new.

Stefan-A
09-24-2012, 02:32 PM
At worst, BOIs amount to lynchings, at best they're kangaroo courts.

twgrosmick
09-24-2012, 02:40 PM
But if we move past the idea of BOI and we do like some sort of system in which a person who consistently holds up his end and sends out healthy great animals can be praised in some sort of way on their profile.

Invisible Snake
09-24-2012, 02:50 PM
But if we move past the idea of BOI and we do like some sort of system in which a person who consistently holds up his end and sends out healthy great animals can be praised in some sort of way on their profile.

Like the karma system on fauna? Or like visitor messages on someone's profile?

infernalis
09-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Word of mouth and solid reputation has worked wonderfully here since day one.

The reward is a decent breeder gets to cash the check.

I for one have witnessed enough hypocritical ramblings on forum boards to sour anyone.

Regretfully, I have participated in a few.

Selkielass
09-25-2012, 09:01 AM
In perfume trading groups I have participated in each person who sells or trades has their own thread in a reviews section of the website or in a feedback thread in their own journal. Buyers/ traders are encouraged to leave comments regarding trades once they arecomplete, and trustworthy traders soon accumulate añd give many glowing comments.
Less than stellar comments may be replied directly to by the reviewed with their side of the transaction, but negative comments are uncommon - its a positive reinforcement. System that encourages everyone forrest each other well and saygood things when there is good to be said.
Here is a link to my perfume trade journal with links to my feedback 0ages
EJ's Journal (http://jadecicada.livejournal.com/)

Stefan-A
09-25-2012, 10:22 AM
One of the Finnish herp forums I use has a feedback system, where you can give a positive (+1), neutral (0) or negative (-1) point and leave a comment. So far, I haven't gotten a single review one way or another, despite the fact that I've done several transactions through the forum and nobody's had any reason to complain (to my knowledge). A single negative one, from a someone with a personal grudge, could potentially ruin my reputation there. In theory, a person could also start multiple accounts and/or leave multiple negative reviews and there is no way to respond to a misunderstanding or outright lies. This sort of system, with points but no discussions, favors the reviewer regardless of who's right. It's not even word-against-word, only the accuser's word is given any room.

A system that enables discussion would turn into what we see over at Fauna (at least the last time I was there), which is essentially a sad parody of a trial. The forum I mentioned earlier did have a system like this before. I got a couple of positive reviews then and no negative, but others weren't so lucky and no, the truth doesn't necessarily prevail.

I don't know if word of mouth is any better, but at least it's not built into the forum, rigged in the favor of one party, or likely to start a public fecal storm.

infernalis
09-25-2012, 11:26 AM
One of the Finnish herp forums I use has a feedback system, where you can give a positive (+1), neutral (0) or negative (-1) point and leave a comment. So far, I haven't gotten a single review one way or another, despite the fact that I've done several transactions through the forum and nobody's had any reason to complain (to my knowledge). A single negative one, from a someone with a personal grudge, could potentially ruin my reputation there. In theory, a person could also start multiple accounts and/or leave multiple negative reviews and there is no way to respond to a misunderstanding or outright lies. This sort of system, with points but no discussions, favors the reviewer regardless of who's right. It's not even word-against-word, only the accuser's word is given any room.

A system that enables discussion would turn into what we see over at Fauna (at least the last time I was there), which is essentially a sad parody of a trial. The forum I mentioned earlier did have a system like this before. I got a couple of positive reviews then and no negative, but others weren't so lucky and no, the truth doesn't necessarily prevail.

I don't know if word of mouth is any better, but at least it's not built into the forum, rigged in the favor of one party, or likely to start a public fecal storm.

I simply must agree with everything said.. (except the fact I have never participated nor even looked at any Finnish forum)

I know for a fact that several very good people have been slandered horribly on fauna.

Furthermore it's human nature to complain rather than praise.

A transaction goes smoothly, no one says a word. If someone gets a bug up their hiney, they tend to go mental finding fault.

On to the hypocritical side of things, I remember once upon a time, right here on Thamnophis.com, there was a big slander campaign against a certain "Bob" who was catching blue phase Pugets and selling them.

The very same people who were posting all sorts of crap about the guy either owned a snake they bought from him, or were out gathering wild specimens themselves.

This "do as I say, not as I do" mentality is the greatest flaw in such a system.

twgrosmick
09-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Furthermore it's human nature to complain rather than praise.

A transaction goes smoothly, no one says a word. If someone gets a bug up their hiney, they tend to go mental finding fault.

While I agree I feel as though the thamnophis community (from what I have seen) is in no way like the group of people on fauna. Garter snake keepers, while there are exceptions, seem to be in a group all their own. I think that the +1, 0, -1 along with a comment is a great idea.

infernalis
09-25-2012, 12:49 PM
While I agree I feel as though the thamnophis community (from what I have seen) is in no way like the group of people on fauna. Garter snake keepers, while there are exceptions, seem to be in a group all their own. I think that the +1, 0, -1 along with a comment is a great idea.

So why not just start a thread like everyone else does, similar to this

"My snakes arrived today from (insert seller here) and I am very happy"

problem solved.