PDA

View Full Version : I intend to brumate

Magnarock the 2nd
09-23-2012, 01:28 PM
What do yall think about this brumation/hibernation plan. Weekly feeding until the start of december. Mid december shut down heat. no feeding but fresh water for 2 1/2 months, until start of march. Does this sound like a rational plan?

Invisible Snake
09-23-2012, 02:45 PM
I think there are a few details missing in order for us to evaluate your brumation plans. For instance..

What will the temps be in the enclosure while the heat is off?

Is he/she a baby or an adult?

Do you plan on limiting the daylight cycle?

snake man
09-23-2012, 02:55 PM
you done need to brumate unless there are certain curcamstances.

Magnarock the 2nd
09-23-2012, 03:37 PM
The ambient temp of the enclosure with the heat off will probably be around 64 deg. It is a healthy male adult. The daylight cycle will be limited naturally that time of year, I dont plan on covering the tank.

Invisible Snake
09-23-2012, 03:58 PM
I think the ambient temperature is a bit high for brumation. It would be better if it were around 55 degrees F.

Sorry I also forgot to ask what species/subspecies is your garter?

Magnarock the 2nd
09-23-2012, 05:41 PM
I think the ambient temperature is a bit high for brumation. It would be better if it were around 55 degrees F.

Sorry I also forgot to ask what species/subspecies is your garter?
Its an EASTERN garter

Greg'sGarters
09-25-2012, 05:06 PM
You should only brumate snakes if...

A. They naturally stop eating at a certain time of the year.

B. You intend on breeding them.

Otherwise, brumation is WAY too much trouble just because you want to. You should to have a constant temperature of 52ºF. You should put them in your refrigerator (cranked all the way up) or a cold dark place. NEVER LET THE TEMPERATURE GET ABOVE 60º!!! If it gets above 60º your snakes metabolism will speed up and they will burn fat quicker and eventually die when they don't have enough fat left. 3 weeks before you brumate them, stop feeding them. 3 days before brumating them. Soak them in bath-temperature water twice a day for 3 days. The warm water encourages them to expel any waste that may be left in their system. Brumate them in plastic containers with air holes. I use a mix of Keepers Choice and CareFresh. Keep a water bowl in there because they don't eat during brumation but they drink.