PDA

View Full Version : question for my mother in law

chris87
06-18-2007, 03:31 PM
hi this question is for my mother in law, i know this snake is about garters but just wondered if anyone can help. she has a corn snake, its enclosure is a plastic Tank, and it has somewere to hide, she has been quite nasty for about a week she doesnt bite but when trying to handle her she turns round quickly and sounded like she hissed quite loud at m missus today, can anyone help please, any suggestions welcome thanx

Morph
06-18-2007, 03:51 PM
could be a lot of things. my 1st thought would be stress but like i say, it could be 1 of many reasons. any chance of a pic or description of its enclosure?

chris87
06-18-2007, 03:55 PM
hi, well its only in a plastic tank at the moment with somewere to hide and water, with chippings, she has had it nealy 2 weks but was ok up until a few days ago, does this help any. is it a pic of the snake ou want or the enclosre? thanx

krystalirelan@southslope.
06-18-2007, 04:27 PM
We Keep Corns And All Of Ours Are Very Docile. We Handle Them Alot. However They Do Get Crank When Its Feeding Time Or If Our Adult Female Is Gravid. You Could Try Handling It More. Start With Sort Periods Daily And In Crease The Handling Time. If You Use A Towel Tossed Over Her Head Before You Get Her Out It Will Help So She Won't Strike At You.

dawny36
06-19-2007, 01:09 AM
Hi, Im Chris's Mother in law, try these links
Yahoo! Photos - crazyaboutcraft's Photos - P6110048 (http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/crazyaboutcraft/detail?.dir=b58dscd&.dnm=7c13scd.jpg&.src=ph)

Yahoo! Photos - crazyaboutcraft's Photos - P6180057 (http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/crazyaboutcraft/detail?.dir=b58dscd&.dnm=fe74scd.jpg&.src=ph)

Thanks.
Dawn

Snaky
06-20-2007, 03:23 AM
It sounds like she doesn't feel safe. First I'd make a temperature gradient, so the snake has a warm and a cold spot ( by lamps or warmth cable ). You can also create a 'safer' place, add some branches, a plastic plant, ...

If she does not want to get handled, leave her alone for at least a week. She might just be in a bad mood.

Beware, I've never had corn snake's, it's just my experience of dealing with snakes:)

Morph
06-20-2007, 03:49 AM
you could try covering 3 sides of the tank with paper so that she feels like she is more hidden. this would probably make her feel safer.

Odie
06-20-2007, 04:33 AM
Hi, from Oregon, Dawn :)

chris87
06-20-2007, 12:49 PM
ok thankx i will tell her that

dawny36
06-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Hi Oregon,
Thanks for the advice everyone. She does have a heat mat under her hide, I got her out last night and she was a lot happier think shes just moody sometimes. I will get her some more things to hide in see if that helps. she feeds ok.
Dawn

Snaky
06-21-2007, 12:48 AM
If she still feeds ok and is alert, don't worry to much. It can be that it's just her nature :)