PDA

View Full Version : fish jump out of the dish

a.l.e.x
06-18-2007, 12:36 PM
hi, well my problem is that I give my Thamnophis live fish and put tghem in a water dish, but they jump out and die. Do you have any solution? by the way where I live they don't sell frozen fish :S

Stefan-A
06-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Buy/catch fresh fish and freeze them yourself. That's what I do.
(I wonder how helpful this suggestion was.. ;) )

Less water, deeper bowl / higher edges.

drache
06-18-2007, 03:16 PM
I freeze my fish in ice cube trays
also i never leave live food in an enclosure when I'm not there
whatever they don't eat I remove after a while

Snaky
06-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Offer them the fish outside the enclosure, in a plastic box or so. They will see the fish quickly enough than, when it jumps out of the water.

Stefan-A
06-18-2007, 03:40 PM
I freeze my fish in ice cube trays
I freeze mine separately on baking paper. When they're frozen, I put them all in the same bag or box. If you don't allow them to thaw and refreeze, they won't get stuck to eachother.

a.l.e.x
06-18-2007, 06:59 PM
thanks for your answers.
Snaky: Thamo (its the name of my thamnophis) won't eat outside the terrarium, its weard but he never does, so I offer him fish and frogs inside.
drache: ok I'll keep an eye on that
Stefan-A: You freeze fish alive? or sacrifice them before?
thanks

Stefan-A
06-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Stefan-A: You freeze fish alive? or sacrifice them before?
I fish using nets, so they're dead long before I even get to the freezer. But anyway, freezing fish is by many considered one of the more humane ways to kill fish.

garterman07
06-19-2007, 08:45 AM
go to your local bait store. thats where i buy my earth worms, and small fish from. its cheap and the guys at the store love rico.

duh duh duh
06-19-2007, 09:38 PM
I used to have great success with a dish that the fish were more than capable of jumping out of.

I found the key was to limit the number of fish I put in there. The ones that did jump out were quickly found by my snake. IF there were too many he wouldn't be too concerned about finding them.

Other suggestion would be to get a much larger dish with straight sides, but only fill the water 3/4 full.