PDA

View Full Version : I saw a Regina septemvittata today!!!!

kerensa
09-14-2012, 02:46 PM
we were walking down to the the lake and we saw what was first thought to be some mostly greenish garter. A closer look however showed it to be a queen snake!! YAY!! I'd never seen one before. Thrilled. Part of me would have liked to hold it, and the other half is super glad my normal position on wild life is "look with eyes not hands" I can't even begin to explain how hard it was to see the side stripes- they just are not very visible from above 6 feet away. As soon as I got back I had to look it up and make sure I really had seen one... I'm so excited by the sighting!

Maybe this is the universes reward for not becoming a screaming harpy at the neighbors...

snake man
09-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Nice find to bad you don't have any pics.

SilasBannook
09-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Very cool. I had to look up what a queen snake was. Very interesting reptile. Good on you for leaving it alone. I would have been quite tempted to hold it myself.

kerensa
09-14-2012, 03:13 PM
LOL. My cammera is an old fashioned 35MM complete with tripod and huge lens bag etc. I never just carry it around. I wish I had pics, I'd love that.

It takes a lot for me to even think about trying to catch wildlife. It never actually crossed my mind to catch it, and I only after it was gone thought "I'd have liked a closer look- I could have held it" But am really glad I did not bother it also. They are RARE here.

guidofatherof5
09-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Queen snake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_snake)

setfree
09-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Cool find!

-MARWOLAETH-
09-14-2012, 04:00 PM
I remember when I was about 8 years old I read about the Queen snake and I thought their ability to sense when a Creyfish was newly molted was the coolest thing on earth my tiny mind was blown:p.I can't imagine how excited I would be if actually saw one. Here's a great clip of a queen snake showing off it's party trick.
The Queen Snake - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN5lDYoNYmc)

kerensa
09-14-2012, 04:28 PM
I can't imagine how excited I would be if actually saw one.

I can. after all I've only been hping to see one for 36 years and finally did!! :D

snake man
09-14-2012, 04:29 PM
very cool video. The suggested videos were a little wierd though.

Carl Koch
09-14-2012, 04:52 PM
What state are you in, kerensa?

kibakiba
09-14-2012, 05:46 PM
I would want to own a Queen snake, if I could, just because of the adorable little face!

-MARWOLAETH-
09-15-2012, 03:56 AM
I would want to own a Queen snake, if I could, just because of the adorable little face!They look to me like a larger ordinoides but with bobble eyes:)

kibakiba
09-15-2012, 05:33 AM
Yeah their eyes are what makes them really cute. :D

Selkielass
09-15-2012, 05:49 AM
I'm green with envy!
queen snakes are on the Michigan list, but I doubt I 'll ever see one in the wild. (I count myself lucky to be allowed to handle the fox snakes at our metropark nature center.

Crawfish have been seasonally abundant at pond stores, but this would still be a tricky species to keep happy in captivity.
http://www.michherp.org/queen.html

Congratulations!

EasternGirl
09-15-2012, 07:21 AM
Very cool find! I had never even heard of one before. Thanks for the link, Steve. Very cool snake.

ProXimuS
09-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Wow! I've never heard of a Queen Snake. Those are awesome! Lucky you kerensa:)

suklaamumina
09-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Oh internet, how I love you. I googled "Queen Snake" and the first three hits were about BDSM...