PDA

View Full Version : Escaped Cleo

kueluck
09-12-2012, 04:34 PM
I came home to find an empty tank. Can't figure out how she got out. I have 3 house cats, but didn't find a body so I'm counting this as good news. I did find cat puke, but no visible snake parts. Besides setting out a bowl of water and warmed towels what else can I do except pray that we find her before the cats do.

snake man
09-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Feed some other snakes get that foos scent can you contain the cats?

guidofatherof5
09-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Keep looking.

kueluck
09-12-2012, 05:23 PM
I've feed everyone else, also put out a dish of cut up worms. There's no way to contain the cats since every inside door has a huge hole cut in it so they can come and go as they please. If Cleo made it to the laundry room she can get into the walls from there. I've got that heavy sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I HATE this!!!

guidofatherof5
09-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Hang in there. Stay calm and keep searching.

snake man
09-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Have you searched every inch of her cage and all of the objects that were in there, she could have just found a really good hiding spot this happened to me.

Light of Dae
09-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Have you searched every inch of her cage and all of the objects that were in there, she could have just found a really good hiding spot this happened to me.

That has happened to me a number of times too. Really hope you find her.

Invisible Snake
09-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Sorry to hear this. You can put flour along the walls to see in what room or direction she is in. You can also put balls of tape in corners and other places and if Cleo gets snag on it you can hear the rustling, also if possible keep the cats locked in the bathroom.

kueluck
09-12-2012, 06:42 PM
I pulled everything out, and sifted thru the substrate....twice.

Invisible Snake
09-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Was Cleo being housed with any larger garters?

kueluck
09-12-2012, 06:45 PM
By nature would she stay on this level or travel up carpeted steps? I've searched the entire main floor, every closet, every bag, box and container. Our home is very small, 900 sq ft.

ProXimuS
09-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Oh no! Fingers crossed for you to find her!

kueluck
09-12-2012, 06:47 PM
No, she was by herself
Was Cleo being housed with any larger garters?

snake man
09-12-2012, 07:03 PM
How big is she?

kueluck
09-12-2012, 07:17 PM
10-12 inches, not sure, she was born mid April this year.
How big is she?

snake man
09-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Hmm, i wish i could help you look it kills me to have to just listen :(.

setfree
09-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Good luck finding her! :o

the_edsta
09-12-2012, 08:55 PM
No fun. They have paper glue traps for roaches & spiders (not the giant black rat ones... those are a mess). I have a few in the room adjacent to my snake room. I place them in the corners flush against the wall (long side parallel to one wall). Since I put them down early last year, I have had two escapees and both ended up on a trap. If you use copious amounts of vegetable oil to free them, there is no real damage to the animal. My first was entirely unscathed and the second had some small glue remnants that didn't come off until the next shed.

Also... don't worry TOO much just yet... snakes can survive a while on their own. As far as 'baiting' them towards the traps (or back to their room), the worms is def a good idea, but a bowl of water might work even better. They can go longer without food than water...

Good luck!

EasternGirl
09-12-2012, 09:04 PM
We always say never use glue or tape when garters are involved. Tape alone can cause wounds that can kill a garter. They can get their tongues stuck and pulled off and all kinds of nasty things. I would think glue would be even worse.

I hope you find her...my heart goes out to you and I will be thinking of you and hoping for her safe return.

the_edsta
09-12-2012, 09:21 PM
We always say never use glue or tape when garters are involved. Tape alone can cause wounds that can kill a garter. They can get their tongues stuck and pulled off and all kinds of nasty things. I would think glue would be even worse.

I hope you find her...my heart goes out to you and I will be thinking of you and hoping for her safe return.

Admittedly, my glue trap experience is with corns, not garters. Still, as stated, I have found that the vegetable oil does make it far less painful than it seems at first (it actually dissolves the glue) and that frequent checks help as well, since the struggle to free themselves is when injuries happen.

Invisible Snake
09-12-2012, 09:21 PM
We always say never use glue or tape when garters are involved. Tape alone can cause wounds that can kill a garter. They can get their tongues stuck and pulled off and all kinds of nasty things.

I agree, but keep in mind that Gail has cats. I'd rather Cleo get caught on tape rather than a curious cat have at her.

kueluck
09-13-2012, 05:23 AM
The glue thing scares me, I can see her getting caught on the trap, THEN the cats finding her. I put a cat carrier out with a water dish and some fresh salmon this morning in hopes to lure her back. She is getting ready to shed and she's not a eater like Sadie and Zena are, but my hope is hunger and or thirst will bring her back. This just makes me sick, and I'm gonna take ½ off to continue the search or just sit and watch the floors. My fear is she made it to the laundry room which means she can get into the walls. Or made it up stairs and went into the ac/heat registers. The not knowing is the hardest part. I guess I shouldn't have set a personal limit of 3 for me. (said w/teary eyes)

snake man
09-13-2012, 05:26 AM
You just have to stay positive and keep looking I don't know if you read the same post I did but one of the guys on here found his snake after 6 months. Never give up.

EasternGirl
09-13-2012, 10:05 AM
I agree with Gail...what if she got caught on a glue trap and then couldn't get away from a cat? Yes...never give up. Many people have found snakes on here after weeks and even months.

BLUESIRTALIS
09-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Sorry to hear this gail i hope you find her.

kueluck
09-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Took a half day off to continue the search. It's a good thing that my partner in the acct dept and the owner of the company are understanding. Salmon still in dish, but on a good note, no dead body found or pieces parts laying around.

mikem
09-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Good luck Gail, sorry to hear about the escape.

Mommy2many
09-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Praying that you find her soon. Look under bureaus, in shoes and boots.

kueluck
09-14-2012, 04:38 AM
Le Ann, thank you for the prayer, I & Cleo really need it. I've looking in everything, even things that are sealed and zipped up, just in case. The only thing I haven't moved is the frig, and I'm afraid of squishing her, but I know I gotta do it for peace of mind.

snake man
09-14-2012, 04:42 AM
Good luck.

-MARWOLAETH-
09-14-2012, 04:49 AM
I'm sure she'll turn up some time.I remember when my gecko escaped and after a day of searching my whole house i couldn't find him.When I went up to bed the cheeky sod was sitting on my Xbox as happy as Larry after I'd spent the whole day trashing the house.:D

lauwersp
09-15-2012, 01:39 PM
I'm sure she'll turn up some time.I remember when my gecko escaped and after a day of searching my whole house i couldn't find him.When I went up to bed the cheeky sod was sitting on my Xbox as happy as Larry after I'd spent the whole day trashing the house.:D

You found a GECKO after an escape... that's impressive... those are fast and extremely hard to spot. I lost the one I had a long time ago... MANY times IN the tank. Once he got out... simply gone.

Lisa4john
09-15-2012, 04:02 PM
I hope she turns up soon. Thinking of and praying for you.

-MARWOLAETH-
09-15-2012, 04:52 PM
You found a GECKO after an escape... that's impressive... those are fast and extremely hard to spot. I lost the one I had a long time ago... MANY times IN the tank. Once he got out... simply gone.He's a fat lazy crested gecko and only moves when he smells food:p

lauwersp
09-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Mine used to squeeze himself into the crevice at the top of the tank and I never could see him... got irritating actually. Always made taking the top off a risky operation. I love those guys though...

EasternGirl
09-15-2012, 06:16 PM
You are still in my thoughts, Gail. I'm really hoping you find her soon.

kueluck
09-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the prayers and encouragement, but we've gone through this whole house and no sign of her. She was geting ready to shed, so I hoped to find the skin, but nothing. I don't expect her to return, if she got into the walls I don't think she can find her way out and without water, well you know......................... Our fear is that one of the cats might have wounded her when she got out, and she has crawled away to die. It's been a long hard week and it's hard looking at her pictures, and really any of the baby red sided photo's make me cry. I can't dwell on this, time to move on and enjoy the 3 girls that I have. If anything changes and she DOES show up, and you hear a scream of joy coming from the middle of North Carolina, well that's me, then you'll read the post.

jitami
09-17-2012, 08:46 PM
So sad, Gail... don't give up, though. I'd keep doing the flour on the floors and simple things like that. Hugs...

Lisa4john
09-17-2012, 09:19 PM
I understand needing to let go for your own sanity. I'd keep praying for her, hope for the best and continue to prepare for the worst. I'm sorry. :(

kueluck
09-18-2012, 04:58 AM
Thanks, we pray every night for all the LORD has given us, and that includes Cleo.