PDA

View Full Version : jumpy garter

chris87
06-17-2007, 04:03 PM
my garter has gotten very nervous and jumpy in the past couple of days. can anyone tell me why or is this normal. thanx

adamanteus
06-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Hi Chris, How are you housing your Garter? Have you provided ample hiding opportunities? Snakes can get very stressed if they feel insecure, it is very important that your Garter feels it can "get away". Newly acquired snakes can be very nervous sometimes, just check out the environment you're providing and make sure you're doing everything right. Is it eating okay?

chris87
06-17-2007, 04:13 PM
its got somewere to hide and is there quite alot, in the viv there is a few fake branches with leaves, were it sometimes hides too and a few other things. she last fed on thursday and ate two pinkies plus a bit of garter grub. any ideas why she could be like this as she hides alot is it normal

adamanteus
06-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Some are nervous, some less so. Give it a little time until you get to know her habits, as long as she is eating she must be doing okay.

chris87
06-17-2007, 04:19 PM
ok thanx james, i no i have asked alot of questions about feeding, but ive read alot of things on here today saying that yucan overfeed them, when would you suggest i feed her again if she at 2 pinkies and garter grub thursday, and how often should i feed her. sorry for kep asking i just dont want to feed her oo much and overfeed. thanx

adamanteus
06-17-2007, 04:24 PM
If she is still quite small you can feed every two or three days, as she grows once a week should be enough. Twice if she's cruising/hunting. Don't worry Chris, as you gain experience with her, you'll gain confidence, then it all becomes pretty easy. If she's well fed don't rush to feed her again.

I always think that "cruising" is a good indication that a snake is looking for a meal.

chris87
06-17-2007, 04:28 PM
ok she is 17-18 inches will what you suggested be ok or do u think i should move on to once a week, unless she is "cruising" then offer her some then. thanx james

adamanteus
06-17-2007, 04:31 PM
I think once or twice a week should be enough at that size, no point in throwing away uneaten food! She'll let you know if she's hungry.

chris87
06-17-2007, 04:34 PM
thanx james youve helped me alot i really appreciate your help. thanx sorry about all the questions

adamanteus
06-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Hey, don't worry about it. That's the whole point of the forum...so we can all share our experiences and observations and thus provide better care for our snakes. There is always more to learn, no matter how long you've been doing something. Pretty soon you'll be advising new members when they come on asking the same questions!

chris87
06-17-2007, 04:42 PM
ok well thanx anyway, looking at her now ive said that to you, she is exploring at the moment finaly came out ot the hide. is there any specific time youd suggest feeding or is anyime of the day ok. and how long should i leave handling her after a feed? thanx

adamanteus
06-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Ah, handling....that's a whole new can of worms. I don't handle my snakes unless there's a reason to do so. In my opinion they don't want it, they don't like it, they just tolerate it (well, some tolerate it!!). I know many others do handle their "pets" on a regular basis, that's their choice and I respect that. At least wait until there's no food (especially bulky food) in her stomach.

On the question of feeding her again...let her cruise for a day or two. Just watch and learn.

chris87
06-17-2007, 04:51 PM
how long would you suggest james, thanx

adamanteus
06-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Try her on a small meal in the next couple of days, if it will make you feel better. She'll probably go into hiding again though, once her belly is full.

chris87
06-17-2007, 05:04 PM
ok thank you very much